Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • I've broken my dog
  • Karinofnine

I know it's an appealing proposal to take your dog out riding with you but I personally think it's a bad idea. Thing is, dogs have a different agenda, we think they are charging ahead because they're having fun and joining in the whole adrenaline/dude thing, but actually they are trying to be pack leader in the front. Dogs can run themselves to death. I only take Missy out on slow, cool, very short night rides.

69er
    Free Member

I wouldn't run a lab too far, it's asking for trouble.

Karinofnine

double post.

I hope your dog is ok.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I think moderation is the key to life 😉

I have heard old gaffers say that dogs will run to death in some situations.

Hmm ❓

trout
    Free Member

I just got back in from a towpath ride with our Parsons russel 16 month old .
    about 5 miles all at his pace with me following .
    10 minutes on the sofa and he is bouncing around like a fool again .
    he is there tail wagging when ever I put on the cycle kit now.

funkynick

I think we must have a belligerent dog then as when he's had enough running he just slows down to his own pace and makes us wait for him, and we then just pootle along at his pace until he fancies running again. He's a Collie cross and going out with us on the bikes is probably his favourite thing… apart from chasing sticks that is!

He's got dodgy knees already, the vet thinks it's probably from too much jumping about for balls and sticks and he takes a joint supplement, but the running really seems to help him as since he started coming out with us, and we slowly increased the distance and speed, he's been a lot better and is hardly stiff at all these days.

oxnop
    Free Member

My dog has been to the vets 3 times in the past week -on a ride 2 weeks ago he cut his paw on some glass & has now has had 2 ops to try sort it.

Its made me realise that even though he is super fit and as a beagle he is bred to run all day – taking your dog 'mountain biking' is a different kettle of fish. A month ago we did 2 laps of Gisburn – every pad on his paw was grazed and it took over a week to get better.

Im not going to feel guilty when I leave him at home now – much better just going for a walk in the woods.

Hope your dog gets better soon. 😀

foxyrider
    Free Member

he cut his paw on some glass whilst & has now has had 2 ops to try sort it.

Tis a bugger trying to get paw injuries to heal – Like you getting a big cut on your feet but not being able to rest it – especially if you had a thick cornified (pad) layer like dogs 🙁 They don't like foot bandages on do they 🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

Can I just say, that each times I have read the words "I've broken my dog" today I have smiled slightly?

I feel sorry for the dog, but I love the idea that you've "broken" it. 🙂

oxnop
    Free Member

They don't like foot bandages on do they

he sure doesn't!

He kept biting the padding and bandage off even though he was wearing a buster collar! He has now been fitted with a 35cm version – he looks like a walking lamp shade!

foxyrider
    Free Member

LOL @ Oxnop – poor little mite 🙂 Walking through doors with those things on is sad/comical IME 😉

cycleactive
    Free Member

Jools – hope the dog is doing better. I got a lab / boxer cross 2 years ago specifically so she could come to our office with me, come riding with me, and fit in with my lifestyle. Had dogs from the rescue before but the lurcher was a nightmare with sheep!

Anyways, got a lot of advice about the running thing from vets, dog trainers and so on because i knew she'd be out in the Lakes with me all the time. In general a dog responds to exercise just like us – if you suddenly go out and work twice as hard as normal you come home feeling every muscle you never knew you had. Difference is, we know why, but the dog doesn't.

So don't beat yourself up too much. Sounds like you're one of the 1 percent of lab owners who keeps their dog slim, trim and out doing sport.

As for karin0fNine and the "dogs should be at home" I have to disagree. A dog is a pack animal and just because it is running with its pack it doesn't mean it believs that being in the lead is a sign of leadership. Banjo trots at heel when told, runs ahead when allowed and slows to let me catch up on really long climbs. Bike rides wouldn't be the same without her.
    Chris

PePPeR

My Dogs poorly got something wrong with his one leg and limps on it permanently, the vets have pinned his leg but all to no avail.

The only time he doesn't limp on it is when he's in full flight! He's just two years old and I've never had the chance to take him out on the bike with me, my last dog loved it when she was younger and went everywhere with me, and I was hoping that once he was 18-24months old he would be able to do the same, it looks like he's never going to be able too 🙁

Its getting me down a little as I've had both of his arms pinned and screwed and he's got so much energy (a springer spaniel that's not allowed to burn it off) its terrible for him really.

joolsburger
    Free Member

She is a bit stiff but basically OK I think I just overdid it. Thanks for all the advice..Did feel a bit shitty earlier but she's all good…Gave her a pigs ear that jollied her up..

joolsburger
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about the other ill pups, heartbreaking stuff, I love dogs me…

ex-pat
    Free Member

We had an old spaniel that used to get stiff on a long run (shooting days). My Mum used to crumble half an aspirin into something it would eat – seemed to free it up quite well as I recall.

Tiger6791

If you need to find out if she's capable of going out with you

"send her away for a Lab test"

get it, get it……boom boom!

(sorry)

devs
    Free Member

My 8 month old lurcher loves coming out with me. He's an absolute natural and just runs along side the back wheel in a "heel" position. He does 3-4 miles and doesn't even pant – he even yawns whilst running! He carries on as if he hasn't been out at all. I'm really tempted to take him on a 10 mile local route but I think it still may be too soon. What age do people start taking their dogs on longer rides?
    Hope your pup is ok Jools.

guybe
    Free Member

joolsburger, you will kill your dog one day if you carry on doing this, dont do it again, be sensible and use some common sense.

I hope the dog is ok and wont have to go through this again, (speaking from a lifetime dog's lover/owner)

hainey
    Free Member

Guybe, thats out of order, you are either trolling or haven't read the original post.

njee20
    Free Member

At the (almost guaranteed) risk of a flaming, do you guys really think it's appropriate to take dogs out mountain biking, from the perspective of other people?

We caught a chap up on Leith the other day with 2 dogs, he was plodding through the singletrack, which was fine in itself, but his dogs were all over the place, charging ahead then running back towards him, then turning around to chase him again, right under our wheels, standing in the middle of the trail and generally being a bit dangerous!

I'm sure everyone here will say 'my dog's really well behaved' but when you're on a bike you are in no position whatsoever to control them, what do you do if you're riding along and you approach a small child who's terrified of dogs? I can see first thing in the morning, or other really quiet times, it's marginally more appropriate, but most of the time it seems rather irresponsible. Doesn't seem too good for the dog either!

hainey
    Free Member

I think that debate has been done to death already, don't start it off again!! 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Fair enough, just to ensure that there's some hatred toward me from this thread, I'm gonna say how much I resent the 'love me, love my dog' attitude so many have.

Folk should be able to ride along without having to endure some slobbering mutt sniffing around near them!

Now… dog loves unite!

Driller
    Free Member

What a joy-filled world you must live in njee.

Why don't you find something positive to put your energy into instead of just trolling on internet forums?

njee20
    Free Member

My world is filled with joy thank you, I just don't like dogs, and shouldn't have to suffer other peoples badly behaved ones!

When I have kids I'm going to train them to sh1t in the middle of the pavement and lick your crotch when you come near, then coo 'aren't they sweet'!

Anyway, I'm going to do something more positive with my energy and go for a ride!

I_did_dab
    Free Member

Your dog is probably feeling the way you or I would after a long run, stiff and a bit sore. Rest and a treat sounds like the right answer. You'll know if you really over did it if she refuses to run with you again.
    Our cocker spaniel got sore feet climbing Cairngorm, the rough granite sanded her pads pink 😳 . A day's rest did the trick.

freeridenick
    Free Member

My dog Sam comes out with me on the Surrey Hills for plenty of rides, 4 hours is about max for him though. He is a Huntaway though so of working stock and breed to run and run. And when he overtakes njee20 down Barry Knows best I shall ask him not to comment….

Dogs 4 life 😛

joolsburger
    Free Member

The dog was all good this morning so I'm happy again. Few bowls of sweet tea and a good night on the sofa, works for people too.

Fair comment regarding dogs getting in the way, my one is pretty well trained and runs to heel and is disinterested in other dogs and people so she tends to ignore everything but me. On the downs I assume that she is pretty much right behind me but she has no regard for following the path and takes pretty much the quickest route from where she is to where I am.

Anyway the wife has spoken and the dog is banned from the trails so I expect Njee will be happier!!!

banginon

TLC…

Me and the old dog both took fish oil tablets and Glucosamine for the joints but don't give ibuprofen to dogs it's poison to them. I got properly told of by my vet for doing this.

DON'T GIVE IBUPROFEN TO DOGS

banginon

Here's some easily googled info re Aspirin which is not so bad as Ibuprofen but still not good..

Aspirin has been used by dog owners in the past although it is not recommended by most vets, as a range of drugs with fewer side effects are now available. The standard dose of aspirin is 5mg/lb of body weight (so for a 100lb dog that would be about one and a half standard aspirin) twice a day and should always be taken with food. Aspirin, like many NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory dugs) can cause many serious side effects including include vomiting, loss of appetite, depression, lethargy, and diarrhoea, kidney and liver problems and ulcers. It can also interact with other prescription medication so you should always consult with a vet before administering aspirin.

There are several NSAIDS which are more suited for dogs such as meloxicam, caprofen and deracoxib. If your vet does recommend aspirin or any other NSAID for your dog then you should watch closely for symptoms such as changes in urination habits, odour or colour, loss of appetite, vomiting and black or tarry stools. Other human painkillers such as Panadol and paracetamol have also previously been used in animals but can have even more serious side effects than aspirin.

glynP
    Free Member

Got a two year old Chokky here and she loves coming biking but I only take her for a local spin, she came out with the lads for a night riding session recently (wife got her an orange coat with flashing led's)and she loved it but she can hear a wrapper from 100M. Although the next day all she did was sleep. I think that short runs when its not too hot and lots of play and walks.
    She loves trail building days as well but the other guys dont as she removes any sticks or branches that are put down and and runs away with them and with the big sad eyes she always gets more of the sarnnies than anyone else

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

jee20 – Member

My world is filled with joy thank you, I just don't like dogs, and shouldn't have to suffer other peoples badly behaved ones!

You shouldn't. I have no issue with well behaved / trained dogs. Saw one at Laggan who looked like they were having real fun – following 10 m behind its owner and flying off the jumps. When the owner stopped the dog was impatient to be off again.

Its the well behaved and trained dog bit that is cruicial.

hainey
    Free Member

TJ – let sleeping dogs lie!

foxyrider
    Free Member

If your vet does recommend aspirin

I am afraid in most situations he/she cannot recommend aspirin as it is not licensed for use in dogs. That is why he/she has to recommend drugs like Meloxicam (Metacam) and Carprofen (Rimadyl) – Deracoxib is not available in the UK to my knowledge?

Be very careful about administering pain relief to your pet – at least contact your vet first!! (This is not an excuse to print money) And dont use dose regimens off the internet unless it is from a recognised veterinary drug formulary – [off pedestal]

njee20
    Free Member

Its the well behaved and trained dog bit that is cruicial.

Here here! It's hard to object when they are well behaved, I'm happy to concede that!

And when he overtakes njee20 down Barry Knows best I shall ask him not to comment….

Is that a challenge? You and the mutt down BKB? Sounds reasonable to me. Saturday?

freeridenick
    Free Member

🙄

njee20
    Free Member

Is that a no? I'll be up there anyway in the morning, always good to ride with different people.

freeridenick
    Free Member

doubt I will be that way to be honest. more likely my end of the hills (dorking)ranmore/boxhill etc.

guybe
    Free Member

Apologises if my post was too harsh, after reading it, I guess it was 'straight in your face' comment. Sorry.

As long the dog is ok and doesnt have to go through that again, then it's good.

allthepies
    Free Member

DTFU.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘I've broken my dog’ is closed to new replies.