Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • I've bought an old school steel road frame
  • HughStew

Well I did it. I bought a bargainaceous Guerciotti old school steel road frameset from Planet X as per this thread http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/buying-an-old-school-steel-road-frame. I was disappointed that they only had white, I ordered it anyway and now think it looks great with matching saddle and bar tape (still to go on)

I have a question about the build. beej posted a picture of his bike (same frame) on the thread, so must know the answer, but all opinions, informed or otherwise, welcome.

The gear cable stop on the chainstay is just a hole the same width all the way through. I assume I need a profiled ferrule to act as a stop for the outer. Any suggestions where to get one or for alternative solutions.

BTW Teetosugars, if you’re still hovering over the Buy button, do it. They’re lovely.

dannybgoode

Thank god they don’t have one in my size!

Something like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-BICYCLE-FRAME-BUILDER-REPAIRER-SINGLE-GEAR-BRAKE-CABLE-STOPS-RAW-/181148410806#vi-content

Wouldn’t weld or tack on just have it reasting up against the existing hole?

Cheers

Danny B

Edric64
    Free Member
    HughStew

Good stuff. Thanks guys I’ll get ordering.

cynic-al
    Free Member

No, this is what he needs, LBS may have them:

Edric64
    Free Member

Dont forget your Italian bottom bracket !

Edric64
    Free Member

Didnt see that one cynic-al I must look harder I knew what I was after depending on the braze on I have used the one that I found as well

jools182
    Free Member

I got one with some campagnolo cables

HughStew

Double post. Tablet use when wine has been taken.

HughStew

Italian BB installed, it came from the old bike. A bugger to get out (mallet may have been applied), but went in OK.

I need new cables anyway, so may buy some campag ones and hope they come with a ferrule. I was hoping to get out on it tomorrow, but looks like next weekend. My first new bike in 5 years, I can already tell I’m going to love it.

beej

Yeah, mine came with the campag groupset.

Pics when it’s built please!

HughStew

Here it is:

Apologies for crap pic – taken with a Blackberry as step-daughter has lost our camera – Grrr.
    I’m too impatient to wait for the stepped ferrule*, I’ll probably order a gear cable set so it should come with that, at which point I’ll flip the stem and put the bar tape on (and get rid of the grass on the patio/ /tidy up garden / …).

* I bodged a fix by stripping the casing from the end of the cable outer and ramming in in the eyelet, not a long term solution but it’ll hold for a bit.

beej

Nice, good garden too!

Solo
    Free Member

Its got a triple.
    😐

FuzzyWuzzy

Needs a silver post, stem and bars to sorry, silver rims wouldn’t go amiss either

dannybgoode

You’ve got black pedals and bar tape and a white saddle – something has to change there…

Cheers

Danny B

mrmo
    Free Member

Its got a triple.

better a triple than a compact…

HughStew

Its got a triple.

It does indeed, transferred from my old bike. A pudgy knacker approaching his 1/2 century needs a bail-out gear when wheezing over the Black Mtns or Beacons. Sometimes I long for a quadruple!

You’ve got black pedals and bar tape and a white saddle – something has to change there…

No bar tape yet. I was waiting to see if I needed to replace the cable outers. White bar tape waiting at home. I like the black and white look, but wet S Wales roads mean it’ll lose its pristine loveliness pretty quick when in use.

Thanks to Ronde in Edinburgh (where I’m working – Edinburgh not Ronde) for a stepped ferrule. I shall be finishing the build off tonight and taking it for its maiden ride tomorrow.

boblo
    Free Member

I read that as ‘I’m taking a Maiden for a ride tomorrow….’ 🙂

Nice boik, looks pukka. None of this plastic silliness…… I was slavering over 1985 Raleigh Road Aces over on Retro yesterday. Why oh why oh why oh why did I ever sell it? 🙁

hora
    Free Member

Here it is:

Lovely. To replicate your build what did you buy/how much in total?

HughStew

Frameset was £300. Everything else was Campag. Veloce from the old bike. the only thing I bought were saddle, stem (not yet on bike), bar tape, chain (I had nicked it for my other bike). £60 in total.

New would have been ~£350 for groupset and ~£200 for wheels.

hora
    Free Member

Thats not ‘bad’ as I’m struggling with the concept of a plastic bike. Looking through ebay (Europe) and there are some wonderful old Columbus etc bikes on there for sale (alot overpriced but hey)

I’d want it to be a bit special, well special at a lower price point. For circa £800 new its a alu frame with mainly Giant etc own parts on.

HughStew

Done and ready to ride tomorrow. I decided to stick with the black stem rather than the old school one I ordered from Planet X. Still v poor quality photos I’m afraid.

V happy with it although I think big bikes (it’s a 61cm frame) never look as good as small/medium ones.

shermer75
    Free Member

Looking very nice. Did you try the quill stem?

HughStew

Looking very nice. Did you try the quill stem?

Didn’t bother. I like the (almost) totally black and white look. The stem is a rather nice pewter colour, just didn’t go so well with the build.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘I've bought an old school steel road frame’ is closed to new replies.