Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • i've been to berlin…..
  • alpin
    Free Member

….. and am left feeling that the city is a bit soul-less.

visited with a mate to help his mum move house. took the fixie, too.
    spent friday afternoon/evening riding around. the city isn't a city as such, but a collection of random quarters where it's 'cool to be seen'.

the streets are really wide leaving you feeling un-connected to the town. the architecture is mostly shit, consisting of 50's & 60's soviet blocks.

you don't get that cool city feel that you do in london or paris. there are a few trendy areas but they're not that trendy.

the landscape surrounding berlin is FLAT! 2 hours or so in the car across pancake-flat land.

would rather live in munich.

darrell
    Free Member

If you wanna be cool and spot Rammstein in the street then its okay. But i agree, Munich is much nicer and those Bavarian girls, well……

Pigface
    Free Member

I've been to Eastbourne to so what.

Edukator
    Free Member

Wrong time of year? The place comes to life in summer when the population moves outside and onto the pavements and lake shores. you're getting old Alpin.

curtisthecat
    Free Member

Sounds like you were in the old Soviet sector. Whilst I agree that it is not the most beautiful city when compared to say Paris, it is amongst my favourite cities. I even went on honeymoon there! What I love about Berlin is the modern history. Everywhere you look you can spot a significant happening in the 20th century. One of my greatest days Ever, was when my new wife and I hired bikes and explored the city and then went for cafe and cakes at the top of the revolving TV tower.
    Munich is a nice city to look at, but remember where Nazism came from.

rOcKeTdOg

i think the "wide" streets were a result of bombing during the war and "modern" design thereafter

stumpy01

Wasn't part of the wide streets thing to do with parading tanks & military personnel up & down had it all gone as planned, so to speak?

I went to Berlin in '95 with my school (2 of us learning German & 7 doing history) and loved the place – it helped that our German teacher had lived there & knew all the 'good' bits.

When I was living in Bavaria for 6 months we went for a weekend to Berlin and had a great time. I really should go again.

I only ever went to Munich once (for a day) & didn't enjoy it as much as Berlin. Perhaps if I'd been there for longer I would have done.

rOcKeTdOg

one or too wide marching streets (see dufftown Scotland for example) but i think there was a teensy bit of damage in the 40's

willard

I've been there and quite liked it. Lots of good food, very friendly people (considering) and lots to see and do.

Ok, I'll admit that a lot of the architecture is modern/bleeding edge, but there are still a lot of older buildings around the place.

I'd actually go back there.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Pigface. Have you sucked an …..?

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

Cheesyfeet – Member
    Pigface. Have you sucked an …..?

You boring little c**t 😉

Pigface
    Free Member

Cheesyfeet 😉

Sven

Munich is probably one of the prettiest cities around and I really wanted to live there when I was 13 so I could go cycling and skiing in the alps every weekend, but 20 years on, it's simply a rather posh and overpriced city where everything is laid out for you if you are willing to spend the money.

Berlin has a LOT more going on, and…
    > the architecture is mostly shit, consisting of 50's & 60's soviet blocks
    such as the Museums Insel, der Reichstag, Gendarmenmarkt or Potsdamer Platz?

Very different cities in any case, and thanksfully not everyone has the same taste (neither would be my first choice BTW)

avdave2

I find it one of the most interesting cities in Europe but if you want attractive I think Vienna is the best.

andytherocketeer

Last time I went to Berlin it was literally building cranes everywhere. Went outside on the Reichtstag roof terrace thing, and the skyline was mostly cranes. Pee'd with rain all day too.

Anyone been in to center of Frankfurt? I've lived 15mins south of the city for 7 years, but still not been there.

konabunny
    Free Member

Berlin is great in summer – very cool pop-up bars etc. Nice vibes. It's not a sensory overwhelming like, I don't know, Rio might be, that's true. But it's a nice town – nice place to wok, nice place to live, nice place to have a nice little flat in a nice building. You know – nice.

Winter? I was less keen.

rOcKeTdOg

Pigface

…ever seen a man eat his own head…?

alpin
    Free Member

yeah berlin and summer, that's what a lot of people have said. but, then munich in summer is full of hot little hotties and if you ride along the Isar in either direction out of town you're almost garunteed a glimpse of naked snatch bathing.

last year i went for a ride and found a nice – and what i thought quiet – spot along the river. i sat down with my book. about 10 minutes later this completely starkers girl/woman of about 30 came striding slowy out of the reeds into the ice cold water. she only went out so far that her knees were covered, but she obviously thought that was deep enough before she started pissing. it was only when she was half-way through peeing she clocked me sitting there.

rkk01
    Free Member

i've been to berlin…..

RAF?
    Retired?

headfirst
    Free Member

I've been to paradise…

…but I've never been to me.

EDIT: or Berlin

cupra
    Free Member

I've been to Berlin (in Feb) and liked it. Great mix of architecture (obviously), good food and beer and friendly people, also pretty cycle friendly. That said, I was only there for 4 full days, I think 5 would have been 1 too many for me.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I spent 6 months living in Berlin and quite liked the place, although I also lived in Munich for a while and preferred that.

coffeeking
    Free Member

you don't get that cool city feel that you do in london or paris.

I don't get that feeling in london or paris either, they're just mucky noisy holes to me.

SaxonRider

Berlin is probably my favourite city in the world.

There are probably at least two ways to read the city: as Alpin has, or like curtisthecat (minus the bit about the old Soviet sector).

Berlin may not have much by way of obvious romance, but I would argue it certainly has soul.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i went last feb and loved it. absolutely loved it.

totally amazing city. 😮

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

I've been twice and I love the place.Will definitely visit again.Alexanderplatz,TV Tower,Soviet War memorial,the links with David Bowie,Lou Reed and Iggy Pop..

theflatboy
    Free Member

the olympic stadium is absolutely amazing as well. always recommend people go to check it out when they're there, despite it being a bit further afield.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Love Berlin, it's the only city in europe i'd live in (that i've been too)

Edukator
    Free Member

For those that like Berlin and speak German this isa most entertaining read.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘i've been to berlin…..’ is closed to new replies.