Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • I've been Strava'ed
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I set a segment ages ago, didn’t think anything like f it because I was the only rider. However since then it has been clocked 7 times but all slower than me, so I had a KOM I didn’t know about it. Now I’ve just lost it, by 2 mins on a 10 min climb, and I’m furious! BRING ME MY BIKE!!!

iolo
    Free Member

If you didn’t care then why do you care now?

Basil

I have a KOM.
    The one I got when I didn’t end the ride before driving to the supermarket.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Did Richmtbguru take your KOM?

chakaping
    Free Member

The last few I’ve lost are KOMs that I didn’t know I had.

It’s a peculiar bittersweet sensation getting that “uh oh” email.

nuke

Better get out there and show them who’s boss!

Now get out there, have fun and be safe.

JoeG
    Free Member

molgrips starts a “which electric bike?” thread… 😉

devash
    Free Member

Isn’t Strava the sporting equivalent of going to a concert and spending the whole time recording the concert on your mobile phone instead of actually enjoying the music?

dabble
    Free Member

Close, but no cigar, I still have the ability to view the countryside with all the panoramic glory my eyes can offer. But when I get home I can see what I’ve done compared to myself on other rides of the same loop. I’m not good enough, probably never will be, to get KOMs but I do like to see that I’m improving in myself.

oxym0r0n

Waste of a ride if you don’t KOM 😉

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ooooooooohhhh i got a KOM today on a segment out of 255 people!!! was flyyyying!

r17anm
    Free Member

Are there many pro’s on strava wiggins perhaps ?

prawny

I have one KOM, on my road bike, none on my mtb. There’s a few decent riders behind me on the one I have, but 1, I don’t know ho ward they’ve tried up there, I assume not at all and 2, I was flying that day and I’ll never get near that time again.

allthepies
    Free Member

I got a 2nd place today, so dry out there currently. Trails are running like summer conditions 🙂

Nobby

Are there many pro’s on strava wiggins perhaps ?

There’s quite a few – I follow Laurens ten Dam which started when he agreed to upload his Grand tour stages this year. Some of the numbers produced are simply mind-boggling. 🙂

Taylor Phinney was, at one point, the most followed rider on there.

molgrips
    Free Member

Isn’t Strava the sporting equivalent of going to a concert and spending the whole time recording the concert on your mobile phone instead of actually enjoying the music?

Nothing like it. Cycling is many activities rolled into one. It’s a lovely way to be out in the countryside, but it’s also a competitive sport. You may not take it as such but respect the choice of those who do. I don’t pooh pooh those who choose to pootle about enjoying the scenery.

I do both as it happens, often on the same ride. Enjoy the scenery, then pin it on a climb for Strava, then pin it on a descent for the thrill of it.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

no never,

i always enjoy being on the bike

and if you are somewhere new, or even on a familiar ride, i dont know/care where half the segments are,

take trail centres, literally every cm has a segment, don’t care

however local stuff, i like local stuff and know where it is, and look at it like interval training, 5 miles of normal route, then all out on a particular section

local stuff here is all banter between people who know people who know people, so you better make sure if you get one taken off you, the next time you hit that segment, either roll it and don’t post a time, or make sure you go balls out

all good fun 😉

mashiehood
    Free Member

dirtyrider – spot on.

taxi25
    Free Member

http://www.strava.com/activities/91007655#1905510896

Luke Rowe rides around by me. He’s got the kom getting out of a local council estate.

bazingaeuan

If you create a segment – people will hunt it down…

bryan-g-

Lost KOM the other day, 1 of my mates took it. The best he could get was nearly 2 minutes slower than me so he waited until it was windy on Friday 49 mph tail wind got some one else to do it with him and beat my time. Dick, however he only took it by 11 seconds with all his cheating so I am going to enjoy taking it back.

rowlapa1974
    Free Member

Strava!!!

Has anyone seen the articles out on the web about Strava being responsible for a number of deaths! People chasing KOM’s on sections of road or trail that are impossible.

The article exposed how some tech minded users are able to alter the results of a ride to increase there speed and claim a KOM.

Don’t get me wrong here I use Strava as a tool to record my rides and keep a log of progress, but that’s it.

Main thing is just get out and enjoy your rides and get a few miles in with your mates and have a laugh along the way.

mrmo
    Free Member

Has anyone seen the articles out on the web about Strava being responsible for a number of deaths! People chasing KOM’s on sections of road or trail that are impossible.

Strava really? or shall we just call it darwin in action?

I have 30+ KOMs sometimes i loose some, sometimes i gain some. Sometimes i try on a ride, sometimes i bimble.

chrisdw
    Free Member

I have 30+ KOMs

You’re my hero!

mrmo
    Free Member

and chrisdw, your a ****.

Strava means nothing, Just another reason to go ride a bike. Anyone who takes Strava seriously needs to have a word with themselves. It proves nothing, it doesn’t show who is the fastest or fittest, it doesn’t show who had the best ride, or who had the most fun.

By year end i’ll done just shy of 9k miles, or to put it another way about 25days, or 750rides give or take.

molgrips
    Free Member

Strava being responsible? Aren’t people responsible for their own actions any more?

rowlapa1974
    Free Member

mrmo, agree that lots of guys and girls get plenty of KOM’s from hardwork. Point being that some people are not posting real results which has led to issues and injury.

Nobby

Point being that some people are not posting real results which has led to issues and injury. others riding outside of their capabilities or with no thought to the consequences of their actions.

FTFY

mrmo
    Free Member

mrmo, agree that lots of guys and girls get plenty of KOM’s from hardwork. Point being that some people are not posting real results which has led to issues and injury.

End of the day, if i am not happy i won’t risk it. I enjoy riding, i don’t enjoy breaking bones or spending time in hospital. Anyone who thinks Strava is more than a bit of fun and actually takes risks just to get a KOM deserves everything they get, i just hope they don’t injure anyone else in the process.

As for DigitalEPO, what is the ****ing point!!! Stravas a game, mind you i guess they are the same people who when loosing at football in the playground decided to pick up the ball and go home.

rowlapa1974
    Free Member

If someone feels the need to visit digitalepo then just maybe they need to get a listing sorted for the bike and get something with an engine.

konajim
    Free Member

Strava is for yourself only.
    Nice to know what you have done and to be fair it does push you on sometimes.
    I find it great as I always lose my computer and gave up using one ages ago and I cant be bothered writing stuff down as to what I have done.

So its nice to see my phone birriling all the stuff for me.

If you share ALL your Rides /Running as I do then everyone can see how good and BAD you are ..Cant They?

Anyone who cherishes a FANTASY King of the mountain title needs their heads looked but there are a lot of children out there.

Beat you own Time or your mates in a real ride on the same day.

I have to agree it is a dangerous tool in the wrong hands.
    Not just physicalyangerous but emotionally dangerous I have witnessed it.
    jim

Deveron53
    Free Member

I like beating my own times and if I manage to get a KOM I’m extra pleased. I have a local 2 mile off road climb that I recently lost the KOM on. One day, one day… But when I do, I’ll be loads fitter.
    Today got 7th out of 86 on a 2.5 mile undulating fire road with 400ft total climbing. Well pleased as I have Hans Dampfs on at about 20 psi. Who says they don’t roll? I also got my 2nd fastest time on the most popular downhill section (1.2 miles). My previous fastest time was in July so yes, conditions are good out there!
    Next Spring, I can see how my fitness compares to now. It’s a training tool with added enjoyment.

GEDA
    Free Member

Trouble is that it is so dependant on conditions and variances inyour gps that after a while if you have set a good time it is impossible to beat either for private ones or public. There are some techy climbs round me that are covered in wet leaves for example that are just impossible to go fast on in the winter. Then you have the ones you did in a tail wind orrfollowing someone. It is not so motivating after that. Fastest of the day,week or month mightsolve that and I suppose I can do that with my own times.

JCL
    Free Member

All KOM’s aren’t equal though. Barry’s or Boxhill etc are proper KOM”s.

oldgit
    Free Member

Everyone knows I hate Strava, but I did have a crafty look at times. **** the bed some are fast. Looked at the speed on one section I know I can go fast on, so I had a pop. Managed about 26mph average over the section, but I need to get up to about 36mph. So I’ll leave Strava thank you and continue to hate it.

molgrips
    Free Member

There are a lot of noddy KOMs but this particular climb is the biggest and steepest one at a popular local spot that sees loads of traffic, and is pretty hard. Starts off with a steep slippery bit that needs to be taken well in the red and then continues for ages when you’re coughing up lungs. Quite surprised that it only has 7 repeats though, maybe it’s my particular variation though as it goes all the way to the top.

Oldgit – that sounds like a flat road section – I never compete on those because most are set in chaingaings and I am always on my own so I’ve got no chance.

alexathome
    Free Member

I use strava just to track how much riding I’ve done and if I’m making an effort or not, you can’t really kid yourself so easily if it’s up there in front of you, it’s way easier and more fun than a training log, I’d imagine anyway. I guess there are other ones like training peaks etc, but I like the social aspect, I plan rides with mates and what not on it as I’m not a facebooker and it’s easier than texting everyone.

Plus I get to beat this guy with OCD called Carl who lives down the road, that’s always fun, I swear he’s stalking me.

I can’t see that the merchandizing thing with strava is going to take off thou, that’s taking it way too far – strava socks ffs!

alexathome
    Free Member

DP bonanza

Sue_W
    Free Member

Previously been someone who has disliked / dismissed the idea of Strava (if you want to know how fast you are compared to others on the same stretch of road, do a TT etc etc …) But felt I was judging it without trying it, so had been giving it a go for the last few months.

Quite a few unexpected benefits:
    – easy to use (start phone, stick in pocket, ignore til back home, then easy to upload)
    – great constant review of my riding, especially over the last 28 days. I ride a lot of hills, so keeping track of mileage and climbing has been really useful
    – better understanding of the many different factors which affect my relative performance (comparing my performance of specific sections with other rides – eg does being tired have a great impact on my speed on the flat or on my climbing pace?)
    – finally giving me a “virtual peer group” – I mostly ride with guys from my club, or solo, as the women I know ride at a steadier pace. So Strava has meant I can connect with the riding performance of other women, bearing in mind that we are obviously riding in different conditions
    – positive feedback and friendly banter. Having a fair few QOMs has added some positive reinforcement, and gaining / loosing them with a couple of other female riders has led to supportive exchanges between us.

Downsides:
    – it does sometimes make it hard to remember that now is my “steady pace / winter miles” season. Keeping the effort low means that your performance appears to have ‘gone down’ as you record slower times.

Overall, I’ve changed from being a sceptic to finding it useful. But I’m quite happy to keep it in perspective, and will save the real ‘test’ of performance to the hill climb Time Trials next season 🙂

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘I've been Strava'ed’ is closed to new replies.