Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Ive been offered everything i need to enter a CX race… but should I?
  • dirtyrider
    Free Member

actually enjoy any of your riding?

This

When was the last time you just rode for the sake of riding without following some formulaic training approach?

ferrals
    Free Member

I find the whole vibe at CX races is similar to how mtb xc was back in the day.

This. Only into my second cx season but i already prefer it to where xc is at the moment.

Can you not do your base on the Sunday? Don’t race novice. Or if you can race novice then race senior straight after. That would be a workout!

I’d definately do it, I’d rather race than ride.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Have you asked your coach?

FWIW, i’d do the CX race, then do a shorter steady ride on sunday, 60-70k. With cake.

In fact, i’ve done that, hundreds of times.

And you could have cake after the CX too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m disappointed you’ve chosen Milton Keynes over Munich 😆

Kryton57

When was the last time you just rode for the sake of riding without following some formulaic training approach?

Nearly every weekend since September.

Ive decided – as i failed to increase my power during an ftp test yesterday – to do the 130k base. Not only does it look like itll be a lovely day, it fulfils the above statement of enjoying myself through the country lanes as well as some good miles. I’m very time restricted so the opportunity to get 4 hrs on the bike and some headspace shouldnt be wasted.

ferrals
    Free Member

Shame, I was looking forward to the ‘what cx bike’ thread, followed by the ‘what tyre’ thread, followed by the ‘what tyre pressure’ thread.

Most disappointed 😆

ianpv
    Free Member

wrong decision I think. CX is an experience you’ve never had, and someone is lending you a bike to do it as they presumably think you’d enjoy it. You’ve been on plenty of 4 hr endurance road rides… live a little!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Me n Munqe chick entered the first race of last season for a laugh and a tester. She went on to win the league overall, I raced for top 10s. This year we’re both getting gridded front row, rocking skin suits, obsessing about tyre choice and pressure and have “double headers” lined up where we race Central one day, Wessex the next.

If and when you try it do not race Novice. You are not a novice – you have road fitness and MTB skills.

+1 for the friendly vibe. Only my second season of racing CX (or anything else) and I’m getting gridded with and racing against the same people so enjoy shooting the sh– and analysing our respective races. We have club members in pretty much every category so get there early to cheer the kiddies and novices, then hang around to support the seniors.

I’m doing less miles in the CX season than the rest of the year (was one of the 500+ miles a month club/thread) as the day before is taper and race day is short, but I struggle to see how 40 minutes or an hour at threshold, with regular anaerobic efforts, is detrimental to fitness, plus you’re getting skills practice at the same time. Though I totally get the fresh-air headspace bit, that’s why I do so many road miles and I haven’t touched my turbo since being injured 2+ years ago.

MK bowl is Saturday-if your 130km takes you close then why not stop for a butchers and a heckle? There will be at least a coffee van if not a food van, and you can get a feel for the atmosphere. I’ll be the one with the bright orange bar tape and helmet getting swamped off the start line of V40…

jb89
    Free Member

Do the Novice and the Senior? I reckon doing both, with a fair warm up and cool down wouldn;t be too far off the TSS for an endurance ride. And equally as effective in raising FTP.

stevious

I think you’ve made a good decision Kryton. It’s clear from your post that what you really wanted to do is go for a nice long road ride – I don’t think you should need any more justification than that.

Folk are always going to try and push their values on you and lots of folk really love CX. Personally I’d rather go for a nice road ride with no pressure or hassle other than ‘don’t ride too fast’. CX is fun, but way overrated IMO

ferrals
    Free Member

Stone the heretic!!

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Ive been offered everything i need to enter a CX race… but should I?’ is closed to new replies.