Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • I've been a bit daft, I think. Any tips?
  • dannyh
    Free Member

After I replaced the frequently coming undone rear axle in my superstar rear hub with a steel equivalent, I thought I’d put some thread locker on it to stop it coming undone. Now I can’t undo it. It is one of those ones where the non driveside end cap screws on. Basically, have I cocked up by using loctite on a steel thread? Is this a known no-no?

Also, any tips for loosening it? One of my riding buddies has suggested heating it with a hairdryer to melt the loctite a bit. Haven’t tried this yet, but does anyone else have any ideas?

Obviously it is still in the wheel, through the hub. The freehub needs a bit of attention as I need to service it.

Thanks.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Use some more leverage.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Hairdryer or boiling water aka get it hot.

Murray

Heat is the right way

thomthumb
    Free Member

What grade?

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah heat generally works. Used it before. Try boiling water if hairdryer isn’t enough.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Boiling water.

slowoldman

I remember having to use a blowtorch to drift out kingpins on a Hillman Imp. That works, if you’re not interested in re-using any of the parts!

tjagain

check the grade before applying heat – some get stronger with heat

dannyh
    Free Member

Blue 243 I think.

I’ll have a proper look when I get the chance.

dannyh
    Free Member

Yeeeeeeeessssss.

Shifted the bastard with mole grips.

Adjustable spinner one side, mole grips the other. The two tools of the mechanically incompetent working in perfect harmony.

boblo
    Free Member

Imminent ‘where to get spares for Superstar rear hub axle assembly damaged during servicing’ thread… 🙂

dannyh
    Free Member

boblo – Member
    Imminent ‘where to get spares for Superstar rear hub axle assembly damaged during servicing’ thread…

POSTED 6 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

More than likely, yes. 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘I've been a bit daft, I think. Any tips?’ is closed to new replies.