Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • I've a low resolution b/w image I want to turn into a poster ( advice please )
  • kaiser
    Free Member

can’t show the image due to STW rules but here’s a link Esther williams naked on honda
    basically can’t find it anywhere on the web available as a print but would like to get it done as a poster . Is there software etc that can increase the quality so it won’t be all blurred when enlarged to say A3 size or larger ?
    thanks for your help
    Bill

Cougar

You’ve watched too much Bladerunner.

Someone asked this question a couple of days ago, worth looking back through the forum.

kaiser
    Free Member

you may be suprised to hear I’ve not seen bladerunner so sadly can’t relate to the connection ..am intrigued though!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think you will struggle quite honestly – in the interests of science I had a go – might get it a bit bigger – say A3 or thereabouts., Depends on how sharp is acceptable

samuri
    Free Member

I’m not making the bladerunner connection either but can I just say, cracking set of hubbas.

CountZero

They’re, um, quite something. Lowish res, but you could increase the image dimensions and up the dpi count at the same time, using interpolation, so that the pixel count goes up, rather like 1080i does in video. That way the pic doesn’t go all pixelated. It’s pretty grainy so you might get up to A2, but A3 is probably as big as you need to go.

coffeeking
    Free Member

You can upscale it but it’ll look pretty shocking anything large enough to consider “poster” sized. Against all the TV suggestions to the contrary, it’s not possible to take a single frame and and create information that isn’t there. It’s possible with multiple frames of a video but even then it’s really limited.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Is this where you got it from? I assume you have tried to contact the guy who posted the picture?

By the way, I don’t think it’s Esther Williams in the photo. But I guess that’s not what appeals anyway. 😉

alexathome
    Free Member

nice 4 stroke twin! 😀

I immediately though of esther rantzen, so failed to get interested enough for a sensible reply, sorry.

midlifecrashes

I’ve had a look at the image and I don’t think you should be making a poster of it. Fence is collapsing, trees need a good prune, lawn needs sorting, leaves need a good sweep. That helmet is was too far back too, won’t do any good in an off, TJ will be along soon with a googlink to prove it etc.

binners

If you absolutely want that image, you could tweak the levels in Photoshop, increase the contrast, then take it into Illustrator and live trace it, turning it into a vector illustration.

Then you could have it the size of a house if you want.

Cougar

I thought you lot were cultured.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkcU0gwZUdg[/video]

(Easier to see on the YT site)

emsz
    Free Member

A poster!!

perv 😆

Stoner
    Free Member

Fence is collapsing, trees need a good prune, lawn needs sorting, leaves need a good sweep.

yeah, but at least the bush is quite tidy.

5thElefant
    Free Member

It’s all about viewing distance. Up-res it, print it. Up close it’ll look crap. Across a room it’ll look fine (in an B&W kind of way).

You could always give it a grain effect, which may or may not work in the context of the picture. Posting on my phone, so can’t try it

miketually
    Free Member

Can you not just “use” the image where it is? 😉

Cougar

You’d need it laminating first.

Harry_the_Spider

Is that the same Esther Williams that was a swimmer?

debaser

The aptly named Rasterbator might help.

Tends to work best for high contrast images blown up huge.

kaiser
    Free Member

another STWer has kindly sorted it for me now with various magic programs . the image file I now have is 24mb instead of the original at 132kb’s.

GrahamS

various magic programs

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxq9yj2pVWk[/video]

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘I've a low resolution b/w image I want to turn into a poster ( advice please )’ is closed to new replies.