Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • ITV App – how to get live tv?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

I have just got a smart tv and downloaded the ITV Player app however (despite the Android store saying it plays live tv https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.ITVMobilePlayer&hl=en_GB) I can’t find out how to stream what is on right now.

How??????

(Thank you)

russ295
    Free Member

I’ve got a nowtv box. You just go to the bottom and select the channel you want to watch.
    Might be different on the app?

jambalaya
    Free Member

iOS apps have channels listed across the top and then “watch now” as the main screen option.

johndoh
    Free Member

I can’t find a watch now option ??? It’s there via a web browser but not on the app????

jambalaya
    Free Member

Perhaps they assume you will watch via the ariel ? Can you “cast” to the tv from the compiter or phone, might be worth a try ?

johndoh
    Free Member

I guess I could try that – it does have an app for casting…

bruneep

works for me, did you put your postcode in?

johndoh
    Free Member

Yes I did – where do I select live tv from?????

sc-xc

Catch up TV app is good for streaming freeview channels…

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP we are a bit stumped not least as we don’t know what brand of tv you’ve got. Can you post up the model please

convert

I have a Samsung Smart TV – to the best of my knowledge the BBC iplayer and ITV apps don’t show live TV. Or Channel 4 & 5 equivalents come to that.

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^^ OP see above, Samsung Smart TV apps don’t replicate the iOS / Android ones in being able to show Live TV

johndoh
    Free Member

iPlayer does live streaming but it seems the other channels don’t.

Now looking into casting from my iPad – we have TdF, Olympics and Euro footie coming up!

johndoh
    Free Member

With the Euro footie and TdF almost upon us, I am resurrecting this thread in the hope someone can help – the TV I have is this one.

It has been great so far and I have installed Netflix, Plex, iPlayer and ITV/C4/C5 Players. The problem being that although I can watch live broadcast TV on iPlayer, I cannot on the commercial channels. Generally it won’t be a problem as I don’t watch much on commercial TV (especially stuff that I would want to watch so desperately that I would need to do it whilst cooking dinner/other general pottering about). However, the football and Tour are two things I would like to be able to watch live.

I have now accepted that none of the commercial apps work on the TV but they *do* work on my iPad so the question now is – how do I cast from an iPad to the above TV? I found an app that claimed to work so I installed it on the iPad but it needs a companion app on the TV but I cannot find it (the ‘store’ on the TV isn’t a full Android store, just one with approved apps for the TV).

Would a Chromecast work?

Cheers

bigyinn
    Free Member

Apologies if i’ve missed this, but if you want to watch live TV can’t just use the TV aerial?

johndoh
    Free Member

Apologies if i’ve missed this, but if you want to watch live TV can’t just use the TV aerial?

No, it is a second TV in the kitchen/diner and we don’t have a fixed aerial/satellite feed to it, just power – I was wanting to avoid putting more cabling in if I could.

bigyinn
    Free Member

IIRC most catch up apps dont allow you to watch live broadcasts. What about a small plug in aerial? It might be ok.

johndoh
    Free Member

I guess I could do that for ’emergency’ tv – good idea 🙂

(The BBC app does allow live broadcast though 😉 )

Stoner
    Free Member

Get yerself a chromecast, install ToViewTv (used to be called TV Catchup), and cast screen from your android system menu.
    http://www.tvcatchup.com/faqs#3

apparently native casting will come to the app soon.

johndoh
    Free Member

So if I use TV Catchup on my iPad it will cast it to the TV without issue?

If so, then that is my problem solved.

johndoh
    Free Member

Just looking at indoor aerials. There is no way on earth I am putting one of these in my house – it looks like a prop from a shite 60s sci-fi tv series.

johndoh
    Free Member

SOLVED! Found a third party app for my iPad and on the Smart TV so they are now connected and I can stream TV Catchup and all seems to work fine.

Just in time for the footie 🙂

Cougar

What’s the app called?

johndoh
    Free Member

Video & TV Cast for Samsung by 2kit Consulting – a bit fiddly (basically because of my laziness in not reading instructions very carefully) but it is now working quite nicely.

I doubt I would want to use it for my primary source of viewing but for occasional viewing it has solved my problem.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘ITV App – how to get live tv?’ is closed to new replies.