Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 170 total)
  • itv 4 now,the cycle show
  • crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Live setting in cafe doesn’t work. Mansell is blood boiling, fisher too much a legend in his own mind, obree sounds drunk (I know he has had loads of issues, but does the casual inspired by wiggo viewer?).

Toe curling and unwatchable, so if there are any good features in last half I’ll miss em. Finally getting around to the chores I’ve put off for last 3 weeks…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The last minute saved it.

?…the closing titles?

Karinofnine

I’ve seen better telly but absolutely support a show about cycling on the tv at last. Graham Obree is brilliant, and so is The Fish.

Would the show convert any non-cyclists?

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

I literally cant look at Gary Fisher without smashing something.

spacehopper

cringeworthy..

thank god that wasnt on any sort of mainstream channel.. cant see it lasting long even on ITV4

Love Obree though… hes mad as a box of frogs..!

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

“Karinofnine – Member

I’ve seen better telly but absolutely support a show about cycling on the tv at last. Graham Obree is brilliant, and so is The Fish.”

Was Marillion on as well?

b-a-c-o-n
    Free Member

LMNH is far to pretentious a location…..Orbree is on crack and Gary F is dealing it !!

Polluza was good though.

I noticed they scoottered past the stretch on Box Hill where someone has sprayed the HUGE c0ck on the road !! Can’t wait to see that on the TV coverage next saturday !!

cyclistm
    Free Member

Cycle show on the tele, its got to be a good thing.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

cyclistm – Member

did ya see it 😯

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

watching that, I get the impression it was cobbled together in the last few days to ride off the back of the wiggin’s victory and keep all these new viewers tuned in. ITV4 must have quadrupled their viewing figs in the last week or two and now they’re trying to milk it. The Mega only happened yesterday, I bet it’s not recorded from last years.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Utter drivel Mansell promoting his own team which his son rides for, comparing cycling to F1 …come on? Fisher needs to be punched in the face, Obree appears pissed, setting doesn’t work and hey lots of different thongs make it look like they are filling space. Rob Hayles mentions his riders of different abilities but doesn’t introduce them. had to turn off at 20 mins made me fringe.

d4
    Free Member

Could have been worse, safety bit was vague,pointing out danger areas around lorries could save some lives.
    Gotta support a cycle show & they’re bound to read this so a bit constructive criticism rather than just slating it may help it develop into something good?

uwe-r
    Free Member

Painfully bad.

Lesanita2
    Free Member

when does it come on ITV4 player?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Gave up after a while. Mansell unfortunately comes across as boring as ever. Obree is ace, but not enough introduction to him for the non-cyclist viewer who will just see a very odd Scotsman.

And Gary Fisher is clearly crazy, but too American for these shores without some better/stronger content.

highclimber
    Free Member

I like the idea of a cycling programme. I dislike the thought of it being as bad as this one.

neilm
    Free Member

Oh Dear!

Mansell promoting his interests, GF promoting TREK, terrible setting, the only saving grace was Obree, who just makes me laugh.

I lasted just under 20 minutes.

Fingers crossed for next week, if it’s the same again, then I’m out.

BrickMan

Lighten up guys! Its the first show, and they’v obviously allowed the entire 1st episode to be dedicated to talk of the Tour.

LMNH is actually a very good cafe, and yeah might not be some peoples cup of tea, but it is for a much larger proportion of riders than you’d think.

Also bare in mind the variety of riders and their tastes, there must be at least 30 competitive disciplines in cycling, let alone the HUNDREDS of different forums and their tones/attitudes. So give it some time and see how far it goes, if it fails, ah well, at least someone had the balls to get on and do something about a dedicated cycling show!

Obree though, wow, I thought I talked fast.

nikk
    Free Member

Starting off with Mansel seemed a bit bizarre… maybe for the people that don’t know anything about cycling?

Crowd babbling in the background was off-putting.

Presenter needs a bit more charisma, is he into cycling?

Seemed to gloss over Fisher and Obree’s places in cycling history… needs only one of these type of people on per week, in a quieter and more personal / direct situation.

They seem to have some more interesting stuff coming up, female presenter MTBing looks like she’ll be more entertaining.

I’ll be watching and supporting, but hope it improves considerably. Wobbly start.

tazzymtb

so what would folks ideally want to see on a cycling programme that has to cater for all types of cyclist?seeing as even on a mountain bike forum like this there is always pissing and moaning even between gears/singlespeeders/downhillers/xcracers etc…. Whatever show was made, everyone would hate it because it didn’t conform to their narrow world view of cycling.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Margin Walker – Member
    cyclistm – Member
    did ya see it

yeap. not sure people that spend hours on cycling forums are strictly target audience

unklehomered
    Free Member

d4:

Gotta support a cycle show & they’re bound to read this so a bit constructive criticism rather than just slating it may help it develop into something good?

Fair point,and I do support it and will keep watching. My constructive critisism

1 – Too much chat, not enough substance, with only half an hour it needs a strong structure.
    2 – Please don’t patronise (how to put a helmet on your head), less gloss and that safety bit could have been really informative.
    3 – In fact 90 seconds a week on safety could actually be very valuable from a public service point of view 1 week, lorries, next week – roundabouts, third week – catching drivers eyes and clearly communicating with them. I felt you wasted that bit, and 60 seconds up front with a silly introduction that just made me dislike the guy presenting it
    4 – Olympic road race bit, as said above introduce your riders, give us a map of the route you’re riding. Give us a sense of the challenge. That segment just kind of stopped with no conclusion.
    5 – Rather than a rag tag group of mixed ability maybe you could have got a local road group to race 2 laps of the course. Proper road riders, who know can say how the hill will play out in a race from a knowledgeable point of view.

those are bit negative, so positives

6 – Heck you’re trying something new. great stuff. Please don’t give up, please play about with the formula.

7 – You do have a compus mentus adult presenting it, not some kid using hip words and trying to be ‘down’ with me. In that regard the tone was bang on.

For more idea please see Rob Warners course rides for last years Downhill World cup, there’s segment in there, hopefully your journalist attempted the mega??

butcher

Rome wasn’t built in a day.

I thought it was OK.

RustySpanner

I thought it was fine for a first attempt.

Presenters were ok, good guests, decent attempt at appealing to newbies.
    Needs to be an hour.
    Needs to be a bit more in depth.

Let’s give it a chance eh?

kevj
    Free Member

Illustrated the gap between mtb and road imo. Fisher was typical American and Obree was strange, possibly has genuine fixation problems.

thegnumpts5
    Free Member

100 + years to finally get cycling in the public domain, wiped out in 45mins of absolute crap. Cant believe this programme had any input from true cyclists

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

just appeared a bit chaotic, no structure, slightly pointless stuff. it needs some much better ideas for content

project
    Free Member

Who ever decided to film it in a cafe of loud mouthed spectators was totally wrong, even Obree and Mansell seemed to having a problem hearing what was being said, just like me,

Did they really need to waste time showing the opening film twice.

Can the presenter have a transfusion of personality,and a bit more go, eg try Duracell,

What was the point of the film about riding up and down Box hil, it didnt make sense, and seemed disjointed,

Then there was the bit about so called cycle safety, riding round quiet streets two abrest,with a bloke on a ladies bike,and somebody chatting to him what did that show, just no car parking spaces available.

ITV 4, a very poor effort.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

People aren’t complaining it is wrong discipline, it just Target any audience. Obree; new/aspiring cyclists no doubt will have no clue who he is. it was clear he was struggling to hear what was being said in that environment. I don’t doubt the cafe isn’t good but as already mentioned there is a reason why Top Gear audience don’t talk.
    Mansell..what did he bring? I can’t see any benefit to having had him on. harming on about his own team and F1.

exactly as highclimber says, all for more cycling programmes and all for stuff to encourage and promote more riding but that programme did nothin for any group of cyclists.

tracknicko
    Free Member

Utter utter shite. Anyone that says otherwise is just being nice.
    Was like a sixth form ‘media’ project gone wrong.
    Second most cringeworthy moment on tv in lastvfew days. Close second behind tht fat lass singing god saves the queen in france.
    Terrible. Had potential but was shit. ‘Olympic hopefulls’ earlier today had a spot about mtb in Olympics and it was 50 times better than that box hill crap.

davesmate
    Free Member

I think it’ll be a grower and improve over the weeks to come. Needs to be an hour long though to give each item enough time.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

yeah, mansall spent most of the interview time staring up into space somewhere, presumably at a monitor/tv screan

RustySpanner

thegnumpts5 – Member

100 + years to finally get cycling in the public domain, wiped out in 45mins of absolute crap.

Half an hour, wasn’t it?

craigf
    Free Member

There is a fine line between ‘characters’ and ‘eccentric’ sometimes. And I am certainly not lumping Mansell in as a ‘character’ btw…

I’ll give it time to bed in, it is good that cycling has gone mainstream enough to warrant trying. The commute article was okay, and at least tried to portray cyclists as a sensible road user group.

I had assumed they’d be going fully mainstream… Look how normal people ride bikes, sort of thing. Aside from obvious Wiggo and Olympics angle, I thought it was a tad too oddball personally.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Having been short changed big time, watch this 🙂

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDUQhaB5EgQ[/video]

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-HjvMIvsrg[/video]

neninja
    Free Member

When it opened with a load of people in daft caps my immediate thought was ‘turn it off NOW!!’

Sadly, I decided to persevere and give the show a chance. What a crock of pure shite. It can only get better next week but I won’t be watching to find out.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

If you can do better why not pitch it to the TV execs yourselves and see how you get on.

STW users should be better predisposed to this programme than the general public, we had a PSA thread as we were all keen to see “our” hobby given mainstream coverage. Joe “ooh the tour was good” Public will be less accommodating. Posts here have echoed similar themes. If we think Gary Fisher looks like a prat, Graeme Obree sounds drunk, Nigel Mansell is an ex-car racer famous for being boring with no knowledge of cycling other than bankrolling his sons ambitions, what would someone who doesnt even know who Obree and Fisher are make of it?

Plenty of programmes with a similar studio-chat and pre-recorded VT format manage basic things like, you know, having the presenters audible. Even discounting Top Gear purely on the grounds it is hated by STW, low rent stuff like 5th Gear (often shot in a public cafe) and The Gadget Show manage it.

I think it’ll be a grower and improve over the weeks to come

The TdeF has given ITV4 its biggest ever ratings (over a million IIRC), so much so that ITV1 snatched the coverage for the final weekend. They have hoped that this audience will stay for the cycling show. Be interesting to see what the viewing figures are. If it lasts the full series it is only because so much of ITV4’s content is unoriginal and no doubt dirt cheap.

cookeaa

I recorded it earlier and just watched it back. Have tosay I was a bit underwhelmed really but I think they might have re-jigged the first program a bit due to TDF maybe. it does seem a bit ‘London-centric’ but I’ll give it a couple of weeks to improve befoee writing it off.

not impressed by the presenter spent way more time talking to Mansell than Graham Obree FFS and then GF turns up and it all got a bit tossey…

smiff
    Free Member

this was so bad it was really good, like watching a train wreck, or being on bad drugs.

also the kind of cycling i don’t feel any connection with.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 170 total)

The topic ‘itv 4 now,the cycle show’ is closed to new replies.