• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • iTunes purchase, burn to cd, copy to iPod Shuffle??
  • cakefest
    Free Member

my niece has an iPod shuffle, and a £25 voucher for iTunes. she and her parents don’t have an iTunes account, so am i able to purchase tunes with my iTunes account and her voucher, download to my computer, burn to cd, then give her the cd to copy on to the iPod Shuffle at her home?

will that allow her to play the tunes ok, or will their be some sort of purchaser/user rights?

if not, what’s the best way for me to use pay for tunes with her voucher and get them available for her? we don’t have her iPod Shuffle cable with us.

sazter

Copyright laws aside I burn music from my itunes onto discs to play in my van so no reason why this will not work. 😉

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Assume there is a decent reason for this not happening already, but couldn’t she, or her parents, just create an iTunes account?

jambalaya
    Free Member

You cannot burn tracks bought on iTunes onto a CD. They are copy protected.

You can authorize the device and copy them on from your computer or authorise her computer – max 5 computers.

teadrinker
    Free Member

How does she listen to music with ipod shuffle and no itunes? Does it not need itunes to work, genuine question? I didn’t realise you could use one without the other? Or is it new?

DezB
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member

Create a playlist – burn playlist to CD… Unless it’s changed, you’ve always been able to do this.

skids
    Free Member

can’t you just borrow the ipod and copy them over from your computer. what use is a burnt cd to her without a computer?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Dez interesting – my understanding is you can burn tracks you’ve imported but not ones you’ve purchased. Otherwise you can buy the track and then just give it to all your mates if they import from the CD

MSP

The drm was removed from itunes music years ago.

The music industry actually wised up and realised if you allow people to use the music they purchase as they want, they are less likely to turn to pirate sources.

Shame the film industry is still lagging behind on this.

CountZero

You can authorize the device and copy them on from your computer or authorise her computer – max 5 computers.
    Sorry, but that is total rubbish, and has been ever since Apple created iTunes, not only that, but the copy protection, which the record industry insisted on before they would cooperate with Apple, was dropped in April 2010.
    Apple had a loophole from the very beginning which allowed anyone who had DRM-protected tracks, purchased via iTunes, to be burned to disc and ripped back into iTunes, thus bypassing the DRM and allowing the tracks to be put onto any music player.
    Also, Apple Lossless is an open source music format, while AAC/MP4 is a proprietary codec licenced by Apple.
    I keep reading about copy protected music in iTunes, and it’s complete nonsense.
    DRM is still all over the ebook market, unfortunately, Adobe being one of the worse culprits.

bigblackshed

OP.

She will need iTunes the program, free download from Apple, to put any music on to her iPod shuffle. Once she has downloaded, get her parents to create an iTunes account, 5 minutes to do so, but it will require a credit card or debit card. BUT her parents can then adjust the settings so the account password is require each time she wishes to purchase tracks. Keep the password from her so there won’t be any rouge purchases.

You have always been able to burn to CD tracks, albums, etc. purchased from through iTunes. As above, create a playlist, add tracks to it, burn. There is a 5 burn limit per playlist. All you need to do is delete the playlist, not the original tracks, the playlist is just a library, and then create a new playlist with a new name. Hey presto, burn to disc as often as you want.

As a piracy device it’s too slow to make any impact. I burn discs for the car, keep the originals safe and scratch free in the case. When the disc gets too worn to play, burn another.

MSP

I don’t think a cc or debit card is required for an account, you can just use the voucher.

Drac

You can share purchases iTunes different accounts now, I’m not sure if that includes music though.

And no you don’t need a CC as I’ve set 2 up for my kids.

DezB
    Free Member

WRONNNGG!!!

3 times now!

If you do create an account for the niece make sure it’s UK or you won’t be able to share any-bloodin-thing!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘iTunes purchase, burn to cd, copy to iPod Shuffle??’ is closed to new replies.