Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Itunes problem needs solving
  • bedwasboy
    Free Member

My son who is travelling in Cambodia at the moment has messaged me asking me this..
    Could I bring his laptop with me to Cambodia when I visit in December, he wants to update the music on his ipod classic 160gb and for me to bring the laptop back home with me!!
    My question is could there be another way of resolving this without taking his laptop there and back?

Cheers

CaptainSlow

iTunes Match if you both have access to a network.

Edit – not sure if a classic has wifi?

oldnick

I’m not quite sure he’s got the point of this travelling lark 😉

bedwasboy
    Free Member

Captain – no wifi on classic

oldnick – my sentiments also, youth of today aye!

CountZero

He wants to update the music on a 160Gb Classic? It begs the question of how much music he has installed on there at the moment, it’s possible he only has a couple of dozen gig or so, but otherwise it’s pretty pointless, and doing it online would be a royal pain.
    Uploading via iTunes Match compromised quality, by downsizing files to 256Kb/sec; it’s one reason I’ll never use it, but I’ve got 155Gb in my 160Gb Classic, which is 15,500 tracks, or thereabouts.
    I’d have thought the whole point of taking a Classic is to avoid this very scenario.
    Tell him to get a life and suck it up.
    I dunno, the yoof of today, mutter, mutter, grumble…

lovebadger
    Free Member

I’d just take the laptop out to him…make sure all the music he needs is on there first!!!

If he has a camera you can back up the photos he’s taken and bring them home with you on the laptop…

bedwasboy
    Free Member

Count – he has about 6000 sons on his ipod, a lot more on his laptop. If he had been more organised he would have transferred them all!!
    He talks the talk about travelling the world experiencing other cultures and he’s asking me to take some “Butty Bach” his favourite beer with me..it does make me laugh.

Love badger – he has backed up his photos to a memory stick for me to bring home, which made me think I may be able to do something similar with his music off iTunes?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Put his tunes on a USB powered external hard drive, take that, use a friends computer out there to download Copy Trans, and drag and drop tunes off the external hard drive to the iPod.

It works with my iPhone so should with an iPod I guess.

Only works if he has someone who will download the software and allow him use of the ‘putter of course.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Short answer is not really.

Longer answer is there are possibilities but they are all a pfaff at your end and rely on him getting access to another computer out there.

Alternatively he needs to find some cute girls out there who have their computers and sync their music onto his iPod.

Cambodia is a very interesting place to travel round.

lovebadger
    Free Member

Coolhandluke has a good idea there but if you don’t have access to another computer then just take the laptop out and use it for watching movies and as a portable hifi in your hotel / accomodation.

When I work away from home I usually take 3 laptops and a tablet…seems a bit OTT but a single laptop is easy enough to transport.

Hope you have a great trip! 🙂

bedwasboy
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments, looks like I will be taking the lap top after all.

iain1775
    Free Member

Just remember to answer ‘that question’ at airport check in honestly 😉

russianbob
    Free Member

Dropbox, BT Cloud, Google drive? Then get him to import from there to a computer where he is.

CountZero

6000 songs? Blimey, I’d have thought that those would be more than adequate on shuffle; I’ve got around 2000 on my old iPhone that doubles as a satnav/iPod, and that’s fine, I’m not listening every minute of every day. Still, a lappy isn’t going to add a huge amount to your baggage, so it’s probably the easiest way to a quiet life, everything else is complex, phaffy, and adds expense, like data costs, or external drives.
    If he was using a Touch, the option would be a wifi-enabled external portable drive, a 1Tb version’s available, and he could stream to the Touch, his own personal local ‘cloud’, but that won’t work with a Classic.
    It’s what I’m thinking about doing to overcome the space issue now my Classic’s damn near full.

vinnyeh

Just buy another ipod, load all his music on it and swap them when you’re out there. Sell the other when you come back.. Shouldn’t cost you (him) too much overall.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Itunes problem needs solving’ is closed to new replies.