Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 150 total)
  • It's World Vegan Day
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Actually you get a whole month of it…

https://www.vegansociety.com/take-action/campaigns/world-vegan-month

Curiously coincides with the start of UK sausage week 🙂

So any recent converts? Long timers? What do you like? What do you miss? Recipes?

Only been a few months here. Miss cheese but that’s about it. Lack of choice due to poor planning is annoying (e.g. trying to cobble together a meal at a service station.) It seems that pretty much anything processed has some random bit of dairy in it! Being veggie was easy in comparison.

northernmatt

My missus is vegan and has been for two years.

I miss being able to cook anything without having to spend 10 minutes inspecting the ingredients of every item before cooking.

I used to really enjoy cooking, now I really couldn’t give a shit.

tomhoward

What made you convert?

Apart from liking the taste of everything vegans don’t eat, it seems like a MASSIVE faff, which i really Cba with

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Seriously and the Vegan Crossfitters havn’t been telling everyone yet 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

I used to really enjoy cooking, now I really couldn’t give a shit.

I feel for you – I love cooking too and would hate to feel like that.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

What did the vegan say after a car crash?
    “I’m a vegan don’t you know”

thepodge
    Free Member

Where as I love cooking vegan food, it pushes my creativity much more… I’m not vegan

binners
    chvck
    Free Member

Mostly, I miss sausages! I’m not really vegan as I occasionally eat seafood/fish too, which makes eating at restaurants etc… way easier. Avoiding meat is pretty easy but dairy really is difficult and I add more restrictions by heavily limiting saturated fats too so no coconut for me, which tends to be a cream substitute that recipes call for.

I like a good burger and there are loads of different vegan burger options. I definitely enjoy cooking most of the time, finding recipes can be slightly arduous now though but I like the deliciouslyella website for good vegan options.

I do it for quite specific health reasons rather than animal welfare although I am quite conscious of environmental impacts of foods too. Been doing this for around a year now, eating away from home is still by far the hardest part.

Junkyard
    Free Member

No one told me out this and i thought vegans were meant to go on and on about it
    So any recent converts?No
    Long timers? Yes
    What do you like? I tend to cook mainly Indian type food and some Italians moving over to stews – root vegetables- and thick soups in winter – usually add some form of pulse to all of that
    What do you miss? Ability to be able to eat something other than crisps when out and I need food – eating out and cream doughnuts though I make my own

Recipes?Moroccan stew, Dahl, various curries, Potato dumplings [ and normal ones] Tofu “scrambled egg”, Buddha Bowls, rissottos, middle eastern dishes – foul, falafel, tabbouleh etc . Tons of cakes, rice puddings, pancakes [ not savoury] I also like making pulse pate so Humous , Kidney bean ones and Mushroom ones for sarnies.
    Chips at least once a week. Pizzas for treats or “greek style feta cheese flan with tomatos if feeling posh. Also like making sausage rolls and various pasties for when riding.

If that does not convert anyone nothing will 😉 Not a fan of fake meat in the main

northernmatt

I feel for you – I love cooking too and would hate to feel like that.

It is crap. Used to be able to fall back on Sainsburys soya mince for spag bol, chilli etc but they changed the recipe and it is minging now. All the rest are crap as well.

I do however make a mean vegan lemon drizzle cake.

edit: should add that even though I am not the vegan I do most of the cooking which is why it pisses me off so much.

nickc

I would miss eggs and diary too much to ever contemplate it

chvck
    Free Member

It is crap. Used to be able to fall back on Sainsburys soya mince for spag bol, chilli etc but they changed the recipe and it is minging now. All the rest are crap as well.

I use lentils in place of mince for most stuff, for chilli I use beans and throw some chick peas into a food processor briefly to give it texture.

binners

I would miss eggs and diary too much to ever contemplate it

Indeed

mrblobby
    Free Member

STW is nothing if not predictable 😆

I like a good burger and there are loads of different vegan burger options.

Made some nice ones the other day based on a recipe in Scott Jurek’s book, bit of a faff though. And had a really nice takeaway falafel and mushroom one in Tenby last week too. Don’t miss the beef.

Junkyard
    Free Member

granose and various other companies only do vegan stuff – cannot comment as i dont do the fake meat as a rule.

personally i found the variety of what i ate increased when i became vegan over veggie as i was no longer thinking of cheese based dishes

I also enjoyed cooking more as I started doing different things. I used to find being a veggie a bit samey – again due to my reliance on cheese

thepodge
    Free Member

northernmatt – I do however make a mean vegan lemon drizzle cake.

Vegan cake is the best, had it for our wedding and multiple birthdays.

zippykona

At the risk of creating the inevitable argument but if you owned chickens and kept them well, what is the issue with eating their eggs?

Junkyard
    Free Member

if you kept slaves and treated them well what is your issue? 😉

When I went vegan i had chickens – they were in a natural habitat in a woodland and not fenced in so could leave if they wanted to – and i ate the eggs till they died but did not replace the chickens – rescue ones from battery farms.
    Its certainly the nicest/least cruel way to partake of animals but vegans – by definition- dont have or use animals.

binners

Do these hypothetical chickens eggs cast a shadow?

If so, you can’t eat them

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Which side of the road were the eggs on?

mrblobby
    Free Member

At the risk of creating the inevitable argument but if you owned chickens and kept them well what is the issue with eating their eggs?

TBH I think everyone has their own reasons for eating what they eat. If you’ve researched it and you’re happy with it then go ahead. Bit like honey really, some vegans think it ok, others don’t.

Junkyard
    Free Member

OK binners you have done this many times and the after the first 50 times the same joke has got less funny [ good mash link to be fair].

Any more of this and i am getting you a vegan gluten free pork pie.

binners

I can see free-range sausage rolls frolicking in open fields behind my house. Might have to go and give one a big hug shortly

5plusn8
    Free Member

I am a massive carnivore, and I will defend it forever.
    However I have a few vegan mates, these are the things I have noticed.
    1) They never go on about it, I tend to raise it more often as I am curious as to how they manage.
    2) I’ve never had a dissatisfying vegan meal from any of my vegan mates, in fact their food is amazing, varied and tasty, which is why I tend to go on about it.

Remind me again, why do we need to bait other peoples choices all the time?

tomhoward

STW is nothing if not predictable

I’m genuinely curious. An ex gf was vegetarian, then found out she was lactose intolerant, so was forced into it. Cooking was a nightmare and the one meal we had with vegan ‘cheese’ is to date, the most vile tasting thing I’ve eaten.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus
    No one told me out this and i thought vegans were meant to go on and on about it

Of course not, preaching to another vegan involves zero gain in smug moral superiority. The telling everyone* is saved for us filthy morally bankrupt omnivores.

(The above may contain less truth than the average trump tweet)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hmm I’m beginning to suspect that there might be some meat eaters on this thread…

I’m genuinely curious. An ex gf was vegetarian, then found out she was lactose intolerant, so was forced into it. Cooking was a nightmare and the one meal we had with vegan ‘cheese’ is, so date, the most vile tasting thing I’ve eaten.

Does take a while to get your head around shopping and cooking. Look at a menu or open a cookery book there will often only be a couple of headings, Meat and Fish. So that’s often our mindset and takes a fair bit of work and research to change that.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Its not great[ the cheese] but it has got better – you can do ones that melt though they dont taste of much and no on vegan is ever going to buy it

northernmatt

I use lentils in place of mince for most stuff, for chilli I use beans and throw some chick peas into a food processor briefly to give it texture.

Can’t stand the texture of lentils. I do the bean chilli thing though. Hardest part is trying to get a 5 year old to eat it.

granose and various other companies only do vegan stuff

Granose falafel mix is okay. Their sausage mix is vile though.

binners

Remind me again, why do we need to bait other peoples choices all the time?

Because JY would secretly hate it if we didn’t

He loves it, the hairy wee scamp 😀

5plusn8
    Free Member

Ah well if it’s just banter between mates that’s OK, I don’t know who is friends on here and who isn’t, is there a sort of organogram?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Tried being a vegan and it lasted about 6mths, essentially tried and chose to give it up.

MrsBouy is a veggie and it’s easy to knock up a meal, in fact I’d say easier than including anything meat based. But over the years she’s dabbled and I’ve restrained, but about 5 years ago we both decided to give it a whirl. It was a lot easier for her to adopt than me, I’m not a veggie but my meals are predominantly veggie unless I have some of our own farms organic beef lying around.. then I go all feral.
    It’s easy living in Town where there are about a million vegan restaurants you can choose from, walk down any street and you’ll find one.. so back to our 6mths… I found it bloody hard reading all the ingredients on packets and packaging and deciding what was/is/isn’t allowed and so we ended up eating out 99% of the time, which is nice but both expensive and boring.
    So we gradually binned it and reverted to type.

It’s a harsh regime, take away the Indian spice influence and I reckon your gonna starve.

VanHalen

my daughter is vegan. I dont find cooking when she is about a problem. I dont try and cook ‘traditional’ style dinners though.

we do alot of stir fry/roast veg etc anyway. we dont buy alot of packet stuff which makes knowing whats in yer dinner much easier.

bigjim

Hang on how can you eat unborn chicken children if you are vegan? That’s like my dairy free vegan mate who eats feta and farmed salmon.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Why you moaning to us about your mate? you picked them not us.

AlexSimon

Vegan(ish) family here for 25 years including 15yo and 11yo boys.

The ish bit comes from having a great source of eggs and honey from a family member and the odd thing bought out.

It’s easier to say vegan than the reality of vegetarian, non-dairy, no wool/leather/silk 🙂

Can’t say I really miss anything. Restaurants are soooo much better than they were 25 years ago, although you would always be fine in big cities and curry houses.

Vegan discussions on here always remind me of the early years when it seemed a novelty and I was always having to answer questions. Doesn’t seem to happen in the real world very much these days.

cokie

Vegetarian here. I would like to be Vegan, but I travel a lot and eat out with clients. Incredible number of restaurants just don’t have anything for vegans and salad is often not on the menu. Plus I like to steer the discussion away from what I eat. Seems to be an immediate point of discussion as soon as I order something non-meat off the menu.

Further complicated by my fiance eating meat, so cooking at home is often compromised at vegetarian dishes.

The biggest thing I hate is when meat eaters feel they have to argue, prod and interrogate me about what I eat. Frankly, I don’t want to talk about it. I don’t ram it down their throats, so I don’t expect them to ram it down mine. Live and let live.

Vegan discussions on here always remind me of the early years when it seemed a novelty and I was always having to answer questions. Doesn’t seem to happen in the real world very much these days.

Lucky! I get it for being a vegetarian, let alone when I try vegan. Common comment is ‘you don’t look like a vegetarian’.. 🙄

AlexSimon

Common comment is ‘you don’t look like a vegetarian’..

Funnily enough I don’t get that (my nickname is Twiglet).

fin25
    Free Member

Was vegan for about a year, couldn’t live without butter and cheese. I’m still veggie and about 80% of what I cook at home is vegan, more by accident than design, I eat a lot of Asian and Middle Eastern food, which tends to be pretty vegan friendly anyway.
    I’m not super strict about it and don’t really go on about it too much. I went to Iceland last month and managed to stay veggie for a whole 2 hours whilst there. We ate out nearly every meal and veggie options were a bit limited, so I had a week off, which probably makes me a hypocrite.

I think I had been vegan for about 6 months when a colleague at work found out. He cracked the whole “how can you tell if someone’s vegan? They’ll tell you about it” joke, despite the first thing I said being, “yeah, I’ve been vegan about 6 months, not something I make a big deal out of, really”.

I also do not “look like a vegetarian”.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 150 total)

The topic ‘It's World Vegan Day’ is closed to new replies.