Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)
  • It's Winter. What's your thermostat/heating set at? Timings?
  • TheFlyingOx

Old and draughty house here. Thermostat is set at 20°C all year round, never switch it off unless we go on holiday. Average room temp is 20°+ during the day in summer, 19-20° night time in summer, and anywhere between 12-20° during winter. Currently 17° in the living room.

We also have the STW standard issue log burner which keeps the downstairs warm enough to cut out the thermostat.

cinnamon_girl

Not programmed to come on in the morning yet but if it’s particularly chilly then will switch on for an hour. Trying very hard to leave the thermostat at 19 degrees but ongoing sweats and chills can be a challenge.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Off, and staying that way.
    Doesn’t cold enough for heating in this country (Scotland)

trout
    Free Member

I am with Whitestone. 16 c is plenty
    Mrs Trout insists on both bedroom windows open at all at home time .
    The colder the bedroom the happier she is .
    I hate central heating and blame it for much of the health problems of the modern age .

Yes I am old and as a child had a weekly bath in a tin bath in front of the range
    Ice on the inside of the windows was normal most winters .

By ek it was tough them days

oreetmon
    Free Member

Wifi thermometer thingy stays in the baby’s room at 17.

The Mrs got a new jumper for her birthday last month,,,,,,, she will get another for Christmas 😈

sharkbait
    Free Member

The colder the bedroom the happier she is

Must make sex less appealing *

Yes I am old

…. Oh wait, I understand now.

* I bet you’ve got a heated dungeon!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Still at off pfft its hovering around 12 degrees in the inside now- though I dont trust the accuracy of that measurement.

Will wait til I can see my breath to switch it on- do have the fire on in the lounge when in.

Its winter its cold you will survive as will your children.

breadcrumb

We’ve got underfloor heating downstairs which takes a little while to warm up but holds heat well. Have it set to 20°c through the day and let it drop to 18°c at night.
    Leave it at that all year round. Upstairs is set to 18°c.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I hate central heating and blame it for much of the health problems of the modern age

You’re an ignorant fool then.

It’s the progressive sealing of our houses against drafts, modern chemicals in domestic products and furniture, and changes in lifestyle that have degraded our indoor air quality which has, in turn markedly contributed to health problems of the modern age.

tjagain

Theromstat is always set to 20, heating is never turned off. However most of the time the thermostat keeps the heating off as we are a well insulated cap ( attic flat) on a large building so we retain all the heat from downstairs, the thermostats position is such that when it kicks off at 20 its 17 – 19 in most of the flat.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

On at 20 deg 24/7. Not interested in penny pinching…hearing my wee boy come home last week and saying “daddy I love my home, it’s so cosy” means I know I’m doing it right.

We’re about to get a new boiler and I’m wondering about smart room thermostats and fancy controls… what would people recommend?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Same as its set to all year.

19 for 5am-6am.

14 for the rest of the day.

And 19 for 7am till 8am on the weekend .

Fire does the rest or we put on demand if we are home late for some reason . Or out biking or something..

timmys

We’re about to get a new boiler and I’m wondering about smart room thermostats and fancy controls… what would people recommend?

Tado. The way it works seems most intelligent to me – rather than trying to learn your routine it is purely location based. Routine based learning seems stupid to me, the whole point of a smart thermostat is that it copes with you being unpredictable. It does smart stuff on top of location as well; learning how quickly your house heats up, adapts according to weather forecast, can switch heating off for a defined time if it detects a window or door open, intelligently drops the ‘away’ temp the further you move away from the house.

Other plus points include, subtle hardware, excellent data views, very modular (get basic system and then can add smart TRVs to each rad as you wish), integrates with all the current home automation guff (Apple/Google/Amazon/IFTTT), excellent self-install instructions (tell it what boiler and current thermostat you have and it will walk you through it).

Jamie
    Free Member

One thing I have noticed, is that it doesn’t take too long to acclimatise to cooler temps.

Not interested in penny pinching…

Just think of the polar bears, maaaaaaan.

votchy
    Free Member

Thermostat set at 16, heating on constant all year round. My gas consumption has fallen using this method over the last 12 months compared to the previous 12 months, my electricity however has increased slightly due to the red light being permanently lit on the control panel. Previous 12 months we varied the thermostat and the heating ran from 05:15 to 08:30 and then from 15:45 to 23:00.

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Currently set at 20, 05:45 – 08:30, 17:00 – 21:00.

Those with Smart Thermostats, do you think they actually save you money?

Recently moved and the house has a fairly old Potterton controller with limited functionality.

footflaps

Those with Smart Thermostats, do you think they actually save you money?

Recently moved and the house has a fairly old Potterton controller with limited functionality.

I reckon you get 90% of the savings with a simple digital programmable timer….

sharkbait
    Free Member

^ this.

My gas consumption has fallen using this method over the last 12 months compared to the previous 12 months

Or the previous 12 months where colder, you ran more baths, etc, etc.
    Very difficult to compare usage unless you’re in a controlled environment.

jk83
    Free Member

Set to 20C when we are in the house but only comes on to heat back up to that level when the temperature drops to 18C

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Ours is set to “on”, because mrsmonkfinger is at home a lot.

Also, (1) our house is old (200yrs+) and without constant winter heating its Mouldy McMouldFace time, and (2) it runs on coal; so once you’re lit that’s it you stay on.

Joys of country living.

By way of temperature control:
    “a bit chilly” = lounge fire lit
    brass monkeys = boiler on
    snowed under = both going

joshvegas
    Free Member

I have no idea what mine is set to if its cold i just yet the expanding foam out and fill more holes.

Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘It's Winter. What's your thermostat/heating set at? Timings?’ is closed to new replies.