• This topic has 110 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by m1kea.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 111 total)
  • It's time for "DrP's gnarmac Brighton-London-Brighton enduroad adventure" again!
  • nedrapier

Wotcher, wotcher!

Wot’s the latest? Can’t do Saturday, could do Sunday for a some, not all.

tobymc

I hereby confirm my preference for Sunday. New tyres ordered from my sick-bed as I will my poorly leg to get better in time…..

belugabob
    Free Member

and have grand plans for cycling length of the Thames or some such silliness..

Good luck with that – cycling is prohibited for key chunks of the Thames path.

I’ve ridden from Walton-on-Thames to Richmond with my wife (who has a spirit level on her handlebars) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Started to plan a longer epic ride and gave up when I realized just how variable the access is.

I can, however recommend hopping the train to Luton, then riding back via Welwyn Garden City, Hertford & the Lea Navigation – almost all national Cycle Routes, largely along towpaths and plenty of pub stop opportunities. Did this for the first time, recently, and plan for it to be a regular jaunt.

Strava trace

TimP
    Free Member

DrP have you heard about the Worthing Streetdrome thing?

Also I still need to pay for and collect those tyres…

nedrapier

jerome – you should get yourself this book – http://thebikeshow.net/lost-lanes-shop/

Lots of great rides within short train rides of London, and a few in town. Join a couple up and ride from London and you can get yourself some 3 figure distances quite easily!

DrP

Righto….
    It’s a go for….SUNDAY 2nd August..

Apologies for those who can’t make that day, but we had to pick one…

Meeting at the foot of Brighton pier at 0730…. Bring your enduroad steed,a sense of adventure, and snacks 🙂

DrP

nedrapier

With a bit of improvising round That London?

You doing some more cookies, DrP?

TimP
    Free Member

They were “amazing”

Just sent you a mail DrP as I am after the planned route.

Ta!!

DrP

Ned… I think London will be prepared fur a few cyclists… We’ll follow our route just fine I think..

Tim…

Will reply to your email when I’m home and not covered in paint!

DrP

m1kea
    Free Member

Should be good for this.

Just need to work out the to and from Brighton bits. That could add another 30 miles to the trip so may start from HH.

DrP can you email me at mikeanton @ hotmail .com?

TimP
    Free Member

Wwaswas you read everything on here, are you able to do this, or a bit of it? Would be some decent miles before Big Dog.
    Team “Over 90 Singlespeeders” were being pretty rowdy last night in the car park

belugabob
    Free Member

Sounds like a hoot – but I’ll be embarking on a three day mini-adventure with a friend, on that day, so ‘I’m oot’

Meeting at the foot of Brighton pier at 0730

You do know how deep the water is, don’t you? 😉

TimP
    Free Member

I’m out, just got confirmation for Streetvelodrome in Worthing for Sunday morning. Got to be there for 9am. DrP you aren’t on the list

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Oh I say, I like the sound of this.

I’m from north of that London but have friends who live in Brighton so could possibly arrange to crash with them and get Er Indoors to come down for the evening / drive me home again.

I don’t have a cross bike but this sounds like just the sort of excuse I have been looking for to get one.

What tyres though? Presumably not full on knobbly cross tyres given the road bit at the start so needs to be something of a compromise.

Keep me informed please. I’ll try to follow this thread for updates.

Cheers

DB 🙂

DrP

Cross tyres are fine…I did it last year on 42c cx kings… This year I’ll be on wtb 32c ones..

DrP

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Just realised this is next Sunday. How did it get to be nearly August already? That being the case, I won’t be able to play. Bugger. Would be interested in the route if you have a .gpx to share though.

tobymc

Champion! If anyone needs a lift in a londonish direction after our triumphant arrival, the mighty McPassat will have some space on Sunday evening….

bikebouy
    Free Member

Have a proper excellent day out lads.. Sorry I can’t make it but I’d already arranged the Nephews, t’is school holidays n’all that..

Anyways..

Cap on, clip in.

Dudes

8)

DrP

Righto…
    Here’s the road .gpx file (Brighton to London).

About 4 miles before the end is clapham common; the proper finish (i.e start) of the BHF L2B route.. We’ll stop there for crap coffee and some bacon sarnies I expect!

I’ll upload the off road section in a bit!

DrP

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Thanks. Looking forward to the off road gpx. I’d like to do this ride some time although I’ll more likely do it as London-Brighton-London.

m1kea
    Free Member

DrP can you email me as above?

I’ve just been looking at the (NCN20) route up the A23 corridor, which is a bit more direct. However I don’t know the route north of Crawley and now’s probably not the time to start looking at alternate routes!

DrP

Have emailed Mike…
    Will we be meeting you en route in HH then??

DrP

singletrackmind

I cant get to BTN on a Sunday before 0830 it would seem . Also the RideLondon route crosses my return to Hayling twice. I have 3 options .
    1 . Drive to that BTN and ride to LDN , and return on a reverse route.
    2. Drive to BTN and ride to LDN and return home ( ish ) then train- BTN
    3. Bin it off

Done a 95 , and 117 mile ride over the last 2 saturdays as prep for this too.

belugabob
    Free Member

Will the running of the London Ride 100 affect you at all, folks?

Not sure of their exact route, but you seem to be getting pretty close to it in the Richmond area. Also, if your off road route back takes in the Surrey Hills, then you’re going to be battling with road closures/access at some point.

Good luck though – have a great day out.

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Any chance of posting the off road .gpx Dr P ?

DrP

I’m assuming the road closures will mainly affect cars…Us bikers should be fine..Right?! I mean, for the odd section we’ll be OK to ride with teh thousand other riders!

RE the trains.. ST-Mind – you could park up at mine and we could all cycle into brighton together? The earliest train from mine gets in at 0800, so riding in (16 miles) seems sensible (ish!)

This is the off road route back..

DrP

TimP
    Free Member

Hmmm….Having a possible change of heart as the route is straight past the campsite I am staying at (at about mile 13), so might do a bit of this instead of street velodrome which will be a pain to get to and I might only do a couple of laps all morning.
    DrP I have a mobile number for you that ends 360, is that still correct? Might give you tinkle over the weekend, but I guess you will go through mile 13 at about 8:15-8:20 assuming you start at 7:30?

m1kea
    Free Member

All

Are we still departing Palace Pier at 7:30?

TimP Where are you staying as that sounds pretty close to chez Anton?

pictonroad

Palace pier at 7:30 is still the plan, nothing like pointlessly cycling 13 miles in the wrong direction to set you up for the day.

I’m going to die. 😯 got 10 people staying in our 3 bed house this weekend. Shiraz will be consumed…

Ian’s number is the 360 one if you want to give him a call.
    Tim & m1kea
    email me with your number if you want another contact and I’ll send you my number.

Weather is looking good

James

m1kea
    Free Member

pictonroad
    Palace pier at 7:30 is still the plan, nothing like pointlessly cycling 13 15 miles in the wrong direction to set you up for the day.

So a bit like last year then?

I’ll be getting the train down to Btn this year. 🙂

Will mail you my details.

TimP
    Free Member

http://www.southdown-caravancamping.org.uk/contact.htm

It is a massive party so will be on the “shiraz” too!!

Email sent…

m1kea
    Free Member

Tim

You can either ride E 0.8 mile down the B2112 to Ditchling and meet there, or pedal W 1 mile and get ‘my’ train at Hassocks at 6:58?

It’ll be a 5 min pedal from Btn station to the pier.

TimP
    Free Member

Sent a mail to Picton, and going for the Ditchling option I think. I am riding up the Beacon tonight for my “long way home” ride along the SDW, and apparently there inst space for kids camping gear, me and the bike so I am back over it again tomorrow. 4 in 3 days (as I have to get back over it to get home) is too much for my lazy fat ass to consider!!

m1kea
    Free Member

Tim

Dunno if you’re off roading and apols in advance if you already know this, but I there’s an off road segment up the Beacon

DrP

Emails sent to all (including the hushly quite TobyMc!!)

Yes – dial 0800 360 for DrP, or something like that 🙂

James… Leave here at about 0615, and maybe grab a McBurgerthing on the way???

(I’m sat here ‘dry running’ the gear I’m going to wear…excited…me!!)

DrP

singletrackmind

Does anyone know if there is still free or pay and display parking up at the uni sports center? Brighton CC want £15 for all day in / near the center which is alot of dosh.
    Or any recomends on car parks within a couple of miles of the pier ?

TimP
    Free Member

You can park at mine if you want. About 3miles to the pier and only £10/a day? You will have the whole drive to yourself. Email if you want a space. Will accept beer instead of cash

TimP
    Free Member

And knew there was a way up off road somewhere but didnt know where. Would that be utterly terrifying on a CX bike with a pint or 2 on board?

singletrackmind

Well . I rode to London with the boys on their Gnarmac eaters . Then I about turned and retraced my route to Brighton .
    We left pretty much at 0730 from the horror show that is Brighton seafront on a Sunday morning . Easy run up to the dyke and a nice steady decent to meet TimP in Ditchling village.
    Then on and northwards through Smallfeild and Crawley Down . We took it nice and easy all the way in actually . No punctures , no agro.
    Cup of tea and some cake at Clapham , then we parted company and I retraced my route south.
    Quick 5miles detour to visit my Mum in Caterham , then back en rout at Merstham for the home leg.
    My legs cried enough around Ardingly and I was reduced to single figures on any incline. Scoffed a gel and some malt loaf and plodded on , with Ditchling Beacon looming large on the horizon I held a small reserve . Caught and overtook a group on the climb somehow , thengot my arse hhanded to me by a another rider.
    I managed to just catch him for the very fast run off the beacon, and drafted him for a welcome rest all the way to Falmer.

DezB
    Free Member

Sounds like a great (big) ride mate 🙂
    Proper warm out there today, I bet!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘It's time for "DrP's gnarmac Brighton-London-Brighton enduroad adventure" again!’ is closed to new replies.