Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • It's this time of the year – mudfest! Tyre dilema.
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

I’m building an XC/trail hardtail at the moment and have realised there are no lightweight tyres in the cupboard. They need to:
    – be cheap(ish),
    – be 26″ (29er might be useful),
    – not too skinny,
    – mud-shedding,
    – grippy in leafy damp forests.
    I like Intense DH Mud but they aren’t light and I haven’t seen them for a while. Besides, there has to be something lighter available.
    What would the STW XC mud tyre of choice be?

nickc

Trailraker or Mud X

mintimperial

Bonty Mud-X, bought some on recommendation from here, very pleased with them: links to a couple of Mud-X deals.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Mud X.

z1ppy

Mud-X, Lex are doing the best deal at the moment IIRC.

neninja
    Free Member

Depends what you call cheap really – Panaracer Trailraker or Spesh Storm are both around the £20-25 mark

Personally use Schwalbe Dirty Dan XC 2.0 (£36)- they are excellent on most surfaces, extremely light but they wear quite quickly and are on the more expensive side.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Weird. The mendip trails are dry and fast. Bike still in summer mode. Am happy with maxis adv as all season xc tyres. Just adding mud guards when it gets wet and sloppy.

neninja
    Free Member

Am happy with maxis adv as all season xc tyres.

That’s good to hear. i’ve just bought a pair of the 2.1’s

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Triton are doing pairs of mud x for 39.99 also with a slightly better choice of widths

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Still bone dry here darn sarf! 25 miles in the Chilterns at the weekend, and only saw a couple of small puddles. A lot of it was still dusty!

Mud X FTW though! 🙂

epicsteve
    Free Member

I used the Specialized mud tyres last year and they’re very good and cheap.

jonny-m
    Free Member

maxxis advantage all year round too here. cant really fault them as an all rounder. especially as i ride in such a variety of places with different surfaces. makes sense to just stick with them

scotbike
    Free Member

In mud up to (down to?) 8-10cm deep, I’ve been running Maxxis Medusas. Not really what the op was looking for, as they’ve mentioned slippy leafy forests, but if mud is your riding, Medusa’s a good tyre. can be picked up for c. £18-20. They are skinny enough to cut down to firm ground and open enough to shed mud well.

Another tip is to keep the speed up, seem counter intuitive, but higher speed flings mud out of almost any tyre, this works well with High Rollers or similar.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Mud X 2.0’s from Lex’s-Triton good price but they will only deliver to your cardholder’s address if paying by card.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I’m wondering if the adVantage 2.4’s I have will grip. In the floating rather than slicing-through way.

ps44
    Free Member

Trailrakers for me in the Cotswolds. I put them on a few weeks ago when it looked like autumn had arrived, but it’s been mostly dry ever since. I know what will happen if I change back to summer tyres….

steve_b77
    Free Member

Mud-X’s they’re even good on roots

Dangerboy
    Free Member

Mud x

jam-bo

i bought some mud-x’s from lexs.

great service but its been pretty dry and they’ve been sat in the boot of my car for a week now so no idea how they perform.

superfli
    Free Member

I bought some MudX the other day on recommendation from here. I put them on and its hardly rained since! Maybe the more that are sold, the less it will rain? 😀
    Anyway, they are not very good with hard hits. I’d previously not had a puncture since Feb. I’ve had 3 now on these in 3 weeks. All pinch, front (2.0) and rear (1.8). I suppose it would have helped with a 2.0 rear and also tubeless (I’m tubed atm). I should also have held off fitting them until muddy again! Look grippy though!

mcboo
    Free Member

+1 Mud-X…..gets very muddy in Epping Forest, I went the whole hog and got skinny 1.8s. Very good in the gloop and even over roots. Didnt feel like I was compromising much on dry cornering speed either….early days but I might ride these all the time.

I gave Trailrakers a go a couple of years ago. Didnt suit me, very sketchy on roots and rocks and very draggy.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘It's this time of the year – mudfest! Tyre dilema.’ is closed to new replies.