Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Its that time of year again! Thinking 650b winter tyres
  • russyh
    Free Member

Right sorry for another what tyre thread guys….But, im gonna post one anyway.

Looking for winter 650b tyres, that will cope with gloop and typical UK winter weather (wet) Mostly ride FOD, lots of off piste stuff now. My biggest pet hate is wet slippy roots, i appreciate technique is probably more help than anything, but something that will not just slip out at the fist sight of not hitting a root square on would help.

Will be fitted to a pair of Mavic Crossmax enduros on a Kona Process. Must be tubeless and not stupidly heavy if thats possible?

Any thoughts?

shredder
    Free Member

Schwalbe Magic Mary front / Maxxis Shorty front
    Maxxis Minnion DHR II rear

tomaso
    Free Member

Its all in the mind! The roots are grippy the roots are grippy the roots are grippy…

leftyboy
    Free Member

Maxxis Shorty for both ends
    or
    +1 Maxxis Shorty Front & Maxxis Minnion DHR II rear

jimmy

Anyone happen to know how big MM’s and Shorty’s come up compared to each other? The Hans Dampf I had once was HUGE whereas Minion DHF are a bit skinnier, any value in that comparison?

bigjim

I’ve got a shorty and the MM certainly gives the impression of being bigger as the kernobbles are a lot bigger and closer spaced. I’m not sure about actual measured size comparison though.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

I couldn’t take Mary, no magic for me felt like I was pushing her through a foot of wet cement.

chiefgrooveguru

The new Baron Projekt looks like it’ll be really good. The old (26″ only) one is the best compound I’ve come across on wet roots and larger volume will only help with that.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Interested spectator to this thread, I’m torn Between Magic Marys and Minions.

noahhowes
    Free Member

Anyone happen to know how big MM’s and Shorty’s come up compared to each other? The Hans Dampf I had once was HUGE whereas Minion DHF are a bit skinnier, any value in that comparison?

On my rims (easton ARC 30) the HD is bigger than the MM. The MM side knobs are more vertical and the HD is more balloon like coming out at angles.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

In fact, sorry to hijak. I’ve got Ardent Front, Ardent Race Rear at the moment, went out today and had a few slips in mud. They not the best in winter?

chrishc777
    Free Member

Ardent rear only and summer only for me!

Currently looking at new winter tyres, DHR II rear and also torn between MM and Shorty for the front, Thinking Shorty as it seems more spaced, ergo better clearing and also that way I’ll have matching brand tyres 8)

For the hardtail I’m thinking Hans both ends

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Mines a Hardtail. Hmmm.

jimmy

Im thinking Shorty front and, err, shorty rear. Im wondering how to afford them first.

chrishc777
    Free Member

I’m going Hans on the HT not because it’s a HT but because it doesn’t get ridden on the steep techy stuff jonny, if your HT is your main bike go for spikey stuff!

How does the 3C get on with roots n slippy stuff? I’m used to super clingy Chunky Monkey rubber and Super Tacky minions

Jimmy lugging a shorty round on the rear would be soul destroying, and you wouldn’t be able to do big skids! 😆

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Shorty front for me and just put a hr2 60c thing on rear . Have run shorty rear and it was great but it’s not an out and out mud tyre.

kimbers

Shorty up front, hr2 rear for me

chrishc777
    Free Member

Is the HR2 any better than the DHR2 on the rear? Suppose the HR2 would be good up front for summer

kendonagasaki

jonnytheleyther –
    I’ve got the same combo as standard on my 905 hardtail and I’ve been looking to get something more suited to the winter, but just can’t decide.
    Loads of choice in the shed in 26″ size, but as the 650b is new I’ve not built up any stock..

tillydog
    Free Member

I’ve got Ardent Front, Ardent Race Rear at the moment, went out today and had a few slips in mud. They not the best in winter?

Not for me – I had Ardents both ends, and a couple of muddy rides had me cursing them.

I Changed to 2.3″ WTB Vigilante TCS on both ends and think they’re great – grippy, confidence inspiring, not too heavy or draggy and set up tubeless with no problems.

limburger
    Free Member

Maxxis Beavers front and rear. Easy.

russyh
    Free Member

I have been looking at Vigilantes recently as they look like reasonable value for money. Also the weight looks fairly decent. The Shorty looks like a beast of a tyre but having never owned one is it not a DH specific tyre? Out last night and it was pretty horrific, which means i need to change sooner rather than later. Wet roots being a particular pain. Whilst no rubber is going to make me a better rider, something a little more confidence inspiring in the wet brown stuff would be great.

SirHC

Have a 2nd set of wheels on the way for the Trance. Arches will be Butcher/Purgatory front and Slaughter Rear. Hope Enduros will be Butcher/Butcher with a Shorty for places like Bringewood

jwab
    Free Member

I was out last Sunday with a Hans dampf on the front and it completely clogged up with mud. Just got a chunky monkey and smorgasbord to try out instead so can update if any better than the Hans. Got a rock razor on back so won’t even pretend that was a good idea

deviant
    Free Member

Currently have a Mary front, Minion DHR2 on the back….as things get worse I’ll put a Geax Datura on the back….as things progress towards unridable I’ll put a Dirty Dan on the front.

It was my winter strategy last year and served me well….High Rollers, Minions etc just can’t deal with proper winter slop, you need spikes and Marys, Shortys and Daturas are where to go….the Dan is extreme but I still like to go on uplift days through the winter and in the FoD in mid November gloop it gets the job done!

For those on a budget, me included, Shortys are just ridiculous money….I don’t care how good they are!….i’d advise people to visit the On One site and buy some Daturas for about £15 instead.

leekspannermonkey
    Free Member

Conti trail king 2.4 protection, black chili,they are expensive but grip like hell in the wet and they are tubeless ready.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve got Butcher Grids both ends, they’ve been pretty decent so far. I put Geax Sturdy’s on my wife’s bike. They look excellent for a tenner each (JE James). I don’t suppose either are quite up there with Shortys or Magic Mary’s, comparing them to my mates bikes, but maybe not far off.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Just ordered a DHRII from france for £25 posted, and picked up a Shorty from the LBS for £40. Shame I’m off on holiday tomorrow and will have to wait till next week to try them out, along with the carbon superstar wheels on their way!

barffy
    Free Member

People change tyres for the winter? Just ride it you Jessie!

High roller 2/ Ardent for me all year around on the big bike and Dampf/ Nic on the HT. Slippy is fun!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Its that time of year again! Thinking 650b winter tyres’ is closed to new replies.