Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • It's Steel City this weekend!
  • flyingmonkeycorps

Anyone going? I’ll be marshalling and shouting encouragement / abuse (delete as applicable).

There’s been rumblings that the pro field may include a certain Josh Bryceland, Sam Dale and Eddie Masters, so it should be a cracking day out.

Baldysquirt

I’ll be there manning the ride sheffield stand. Should be good and the weather looks promising.

hora
    Free Member

I was thinking of creating a heckle/board to take this year but what to write on it?!

Last years was brilliant. If anyone is wavering on whether to go- seriously go. Great atmosphere, food, etc and great for kids to watch/they wont get bored.

I went to a different race last year and it wasn’t the same/even I was abit bored nevermind the non-riders I took.

flyingmonkeycorps

Let’s be honest, it’s worth going just for the burritos. Add that to the awesome atmosphere, ability to be at any point on the track in about ten minutes and some amazing riding… Why WOULDN’T you go?

My Mrs loves it, and she has somewhere between little and no interest in bicycle racing.

muzzle
    Free Member

I took my 3 year-old daughter to watch it last year, and she loved it. Highly recommended.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

Id like to go, but the GF isn’t sure if she will have any free time Sunday, and wants to spend at least one day climbing/biking this weekend…

So will probably not make it, and spend both days in the peak doing stuff rather than watching people ride bikes whilst drinking beer…

is it against the law to ride a bike with a can of stella on the go? 😉

hora
    Free Member

and wants to spend at least one day climbing/biking this weekend…

Why not ride the Peaks in the morning- race doesn’t start till 11.30/12.

You could(?) even ride the Wharncliffe side first?

PiknMix
    Free Member

I didn’t realise it was this weekend! Last year was amazing. Whatever the wife has planned she’s doing it on her own 😉

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

Not going near greno/wharncliffe this weekend with an expectation to ride!
    If “her outdoors” wants to ride, I might suggest an early (for us) start get some “esoteric” peak riding in and go for the afternoon.
    good suggestion!
    If she wants to climb, that will be it for the day

dashed
    Free Member

I’ll be there – riding in the Vets category 😯 I feel old!!! Weather looking good between now and then so course could be dry and fast…

simonm
    Free Member

I’ll be there, racing in vets also, and sponsoring the Elite prize 🙂

EDIT:- could be dry…. don’t think that means I’ll be fast….

hora
    Free Member

I’ll be there – riding in the Vets category

How did you manage to enter? I was there the first time it was posted up on the Friday night. Not poss.

Then on the Thursday 7pm. We stopped mid-evening ride so I could enter. Couldn’t get through then a few minutes later it said ‘all full’ except ladies category (they wouldn’t let me enter that one).

So I will be there shouting BASTARD! At you 😆

flyingmonkeycorps

How did you manage to enter?

You know how it was full? Well, it was full of people who managed to enter 😉

Any good suggestions for things to bash on other things to make supportive noise? Much as I’d like to shout at all the competitors, I’d also quite like to be able to talk the next day…

dashed
    Free Member

I just got lucky I guess – entries went live around 7.10pm I think – another cock up with british cycling website. I just kept trying between 7 and 7.10 and got me a slot 😉 My partner at the climbing wall was a bit put out that I kept checking my phone whilst belaying to see if it had gone live 😯

bomberman
    Free Member

I’d forgotten about this! Is parking a problem? The car park isn’t very big and I can imagine it fills up early.

hora
    Free Member

The farmers field as per usual is the best place to park- very friendly and organised properly and your putting money* back (not much) into the organisers/locally. If you park anywhere else (i.e. side of the road) you risk sitting your underbelly of your car or suspension on a tarmac-edge) and blocking throughway both ways on a narrowish road with people crossing/obscuring crossing.

*Its free to spectate so why not?

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

Anyone got a grid ref or postcode to get me there

dashed
    Free Member

Have a look on the steelcity website – all the info on parking etc is in there 🙂

flyingmonkeycorps

Yeah – definitely DON’T park on the road or in the normal top car park, that needs to be kept free for normal folk to walk their hounds and horses and such. Farmer John over the road opens his fields for parking – it’s a couple of quid if memory serves.

Will post a google map link when our internet shuffles out of the dark ages.

bomberman
    Free Member

Thanks I’ve just checked the website, parking is £2 and up the road from the forestry commission car park as mentioned.

I saw a guy on the Earthed videos with a bicycle frame and he was using it as a giant triangle and whacking it with a metal bar, I thought that was a good way of.making noise!

flyingmonkeycorps

I don’t have a spare frame for whacking though! Got a set of bars, I guess that’s a start.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Anyone go the pi$$ take video link from last year. I remember it being quite funny.

chipster

I’m going this year, taking 2 nephews (6 & 11) and a friend of the 11 year old. The wife was supposed to be dropping us off, but now she’s read this, she’s coming. 🙄
    😉
    I’ll have a think about the noise making.

Tracey

We will be there. Abigale is in the Ladies category. Shes riding a black and green S Works Enduro so give her a cheer. Shes in the middle of her GCSE exams at the moment and also suffering from a fall on Potato Ally last weekend so any encouragement will be great but don’t mention her scratched frame

flyingmonkeycorps

I shall make sure to bang together whatever things I am banging together extra hard as she passes!

chipster

it’s worth going just for the burritos.

Where’s the food served? I may be peckish. 😳
    If I’m hitting a stainless steel bucket with an old seatpin, how long will said seatpin last, before it explodes?

andeh

I managed to get a spot in seniors by spamming F5 for about 30 minutes straight. Only 3rd time out on the new whip, so there’s a strong possibility of a swift game of facey-floory.

I’ll be in purple, looking like a Huckmaster General 8) Say hello if you spot me (Green/red(pink) Orange Alpine)

hora
    Free Member

Im going to have a offensive heckle sign for you guys 8)

andeh

I was thinking of making a Sean Bean style “Pedal! Yer bastard!” sign.

docrobster
    Free Member

I’ll also be there in the vets again. Hope the track dries up a bit. Biblical rain last night.
    Can’t wait!

markcurtains
    Free Member

Where’s the food served? I may be peckish

I expect it’ll be in the bombhole at the bottom. You can queue behind me 😉

flyingmonkeycorps

Last year the burrito stand was at the top of the bombhole, but all the food and stands are in that area. You won’t like the burritos though. Not one bit. At least not till I’ve had a couple.

Weather still (touch wood) looking amazing 😀

domino

I will be the fastest i’ve ever been racing DH.* On my little Yeti in the Ladies category.

*because I’ve never done a DH race before.

flyingmonkeycorps

I’ll keep an eye out for you. Say hello to my friend Suellen if you bump into her, she’s racing a Pitch in the Ladies Open, I think.

andeh

Is anyone doing the fancy dress? I wanted to but have left it a bit late now, got distracted with other grownup stuff 😳

docrobster
    Free Member

I’m thinking of going as sheffield legend Phil Oakey
    But as he is now not in 1980.
    So that’s a middle aged bloke with not much hair left. Should be able to manage that look I reckon. 😀

andeh

Docrobster, you wouldn’t happen to be the Rob who I shared an A-Line skills day with this time last year, by any chance?

docrobster
    Free Member

‘Tis I Andy yes.
    I’ll be on my deeply unfashionable old marin, trying to remember everything I was told a year ago!
    You still rocking the pink gloves?

Pook

Docrobster – I see him in Crookes coop every so often, buying crisps.

I’ll be there with mini pook and Mrs pook

docrobster
    Free Member

What flavour pook?
    Apparently my missus has met him walking his dog round forge dam. Still a good looking chap she tells me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘It's Steel City this weekend!’ is closed to new replies.