• This topic has 28 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by fibre.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • It's started (29er to 650b content)
  • ricky1
    Free Member

Lots of 29ers for sale on eBay/gumtree,sellers reasons are going 650b,29ers will soon become the fire road bikes in the next year.

singlespeedstu

Cool story bro.

ratherbeintobago

OP, why do you care what anyone else rides (unless, of course, you’re some sort of obsessed 650B fan8oi, or trying to validate a 650B purchase you’re not really sure about)?

z1ppy

fd3chris
    Free Member

I guess his point is that it wasn’t that long ago the hype was huge and now lots are being sold off.

Pete-B
    Free Member

That’s all right. Hopefully by next year my 29er will be worn out from extensive grin inducing riding on the Dark Peak rock strewn pack animal routes.
    Then I can buy a new bike on the basis of what looks like it’s potential fun quotient will be.
    Wheel size will, of course, be important as I might have to buy some spare tubes. There again it might come tubeless.

ricky1
    Free Member

Fd3chris hits the nail on the head,didn’t mean any offence by it ratherbeingtobago,I ride a 26er,it was just an observation,I thought 29ers were here to stay that’s all.

bol

I don’t think it will be all that long before 29″ wheels become the preserve of large and extra large trail bikes. For xc, where it’s all about going fast, I can’t imagine many people will switch to 650b unless the courses are really stop-start and technical.

steve_b77
    Free Member

So basically all large / XL bikes and XC bikes (100mm travel I presume) then? Tiny portion of the market that, not!

epicyclo

29ers make great road bikes with a set of Big Apple 2.35″ tyres on them.

Just the job for our knackered roads, so hold on to your 29er. 🙂

Especially if you like to venture up interesting tracks….

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

Yawn ricky1 there’s a bridge over there you can sit under!!! As for 29ers death slide, I be keeping mine as it’s suit my riding 8)

campfreddie
    Free Member

29ers are the perfect bike for certain scenarios (XC riding etc) so they will never die out.

Unfortunately, because they were seen as ‘the wheelsize’ not so long ago, the wheelsize was used to create lots of bikes which would have perhaps have benefitted from different wheel sizes (26″ or 650b).

We will see the same thing with 650b as every manufacturer rushes to push out 650b across all types of riding.

Hopefully in time, manufacturers will get bored of the wheel size thing and find something else to get obsessed with (my money is on electronic shifting), so 26″, 650b and 29er will all live in harmony across the broad range that is mountain biking.

amen.

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

rode a 29er once.i didnt like it.
    that is all i have to say.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Northwind

There hasn’t been a noticable increase in the number of used 29ers for sale (I’ve been looking on and off for quite a while). Yes the ones for sale are often going to be replaced with a 650b but that doesn’t mean much, since people are always chopping and changing bikes.- just so happens that right now, if you replace a bike with another bike it’s pretty likely to be 650b.

kelvin

The more 29ers are sold new, and the longer they’ve been around, the bigger the 2nd hand market will be.

Obvious really.

And, yes, lots of people selling them will be doing so because they’re getting a new bike, and yes, lots of those will be 650b, as that’s the “new” thing.

None of this is a sign of 29ers disappearing, just that lots of new bikes are 650b, and there are plenty of old 29ers.

650b second hand market won’t take off for years… but only because there aren’t many old ones yet.

mboy
    Free Member

650b is the new fad. So lots of people who bought 29ers when they were the new fad (as opposed to those that just bought them cos they liked them) will be selling off their bikes and moving to 650b.

Heard that Giant have dropped all 29ers for 2015, even XC carbon hardtails! If that’s the case, I can imagine it might bite them in the arse soon enough. Plenty of people still like and want 29ers. And despite what the nay sayers say, they work for people of different sizes and they come in all shapes and flavours, not just XC race bikes.

I don’t think it will be all that long before 29″ wheels become the preserve of large and extra large trail bikes. For xc, where it’s all about going fast, I can’t imagine many people will switch to 650b unless the courses are really stop-start and technical.

Whilst in the long term, this is probably likely to happen. I think over the next couple of years, you’ll see the big companies hang their hat on a wheel size and keep on trying to sell it as a one size fits all solution. 26″ wheels still have their place, as do 29ers for definite. The industry that created all the different wheel sizes cos it wanted to sell you a new bike, wants to settle down on 650b as quickly as possible cos it means it’s easier for them to manage. Of course now they’ve created the wheelsizes and the market for them, there are now the customers too! So all 3 wheel sizes are going to be here for some time yet I think.

emac65
    Free Member

Does anyone else just ride & not really give a toss………………

epicyclo

campfreddie – Member
    …Hopefully in time, manufacturers will get bored of the wheel size thing and find something else to get obsessed with (my money is on electronic shifting), so 26″, 650b and 29er will all live in harmony across the broad range that is mountain biking…

They are all going to be superseded by the fatbike anyway, except the full skinny tyred suspension bike. 🙂

warns74
    Free Member

emac65
    Does anyone else just ride & not really give a toss………………

Amen…..!

TomZesty
    Free Member

There will always be niner at least….

choppersquad
    Free Member

Amen+1

plus-one

Ah ffs no even got my 29er yet and I’ve got to sell it now !!!! :'(

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Crickey – if you’re basing your conclusion on the demise of the 29er by the number there is for sale on ebay and Pinkbike, then the 26er must be well and truly dead and buried. Give it 18 months or so and you’ll get the ‘all gear and no idea’ crowd selling their SC Bronsons and other 650b’s too to replace with a bike in the next cool colour/material/suspension design/cable routing/new std of axel etc….

rOcKeTdOg

Been riding a 29er for last 5 years but open minded about 27.5 but too tall for 26″ so for near future will stop be on a 29er

singlespeedstu

I guess his point is that it wasn’t that long ago the hype was huge

And what about the ten years before that when some people were getting custom built frames because they liked them.
    Some people know what they want and some people wait for the next advert in a glossy mag. 🙂

singlespeedstu

CFH.
    Have you inserted a stick up that kitten to make it stand up like that?
    #kittenwithasorebum.

shortbaldone
    Free Member

cunningly, I am not going to buy a 29er, then not sell a 29er so break even on that one, keep my 26r yeti cos it compensates for my shite technical skill and makes me laugh like a screaming goat on downy bits and actually not buy into a new fad till they make a 22er (just that standover is a novelty so would have to get one)

actually, I have bought a rather nice green switchback from that awfully nice chap dan Stanton and having had a little go on his I am now taking calming meds every 4 hours until it arrives in june just to control the excitement…it happens to be a 650b, but would have got it even if it had been a 26er…all bikes are ace aren’t they?

fibre
    Free Member

Just started riding my first 29er this week and absolutely love it!, so I’m not bothered about what other people are\aren’t buying\selling.

It’s all about right bike for the rider and the place it’s being ridden as far as I’m concerned. Take a 29er xc race hardtail to a DH course and both the ride and bike will feel crap same as a DH bike on your local XC route.

Things have changed and I think we all need to get over it, let the industry try different things and cherry pick what you want to ride and enjoy it.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘It's started (29er to 650b content)’ is closed to new replies.