Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • It's show-off time!
  • SaxonRider

I was just shown some old photos of myself being all Action Man, and thought, ‘Thread’.

So, post a picture of yourself at any age, that shows you doing something sporty/adventurey of which you are really proud.

Me, climbing the limestone cliffs of an old quarry outside of Winnipeg back in the early 1990s.

(FYI, that’s a self-made harness… 😯 )

DezB
    Free Member

Ok, I’ll play!
    in da 70s

then in his 50s 😆

SaxonRider

That’s the spirit, DezB. I’m particularly impressed by the consistency of form.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Lookin good Dez: jeans and trainers in your fifties; proving TJ wrong on all accounts 😉

ads678

Haven’t got any on my phone, so here a pic of me doing nothing and my boy getting rad!

scotroutes

First Munro

Last Munro

DezB
    Free Member

davidtaylforth –
    Lookin good Dez: jeans and trainers in your fifties; proving TJ wrong on all accounts

Too kind! I was going to skate in a dress and stillettos but they wouldn’t let me in the park 😀

whitestone
    Free Member

From my climbing days:

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Too kind! I was going to skate in a dress and stillettos but they wouldn’t let me in the park

😀 Some things are best left at home

SaxonRider

Jeez, whitestone. I’m maximum 70 feet up in my shots. Now I’m embarrassed!

I did once climb part way up Mont Pinacle in Quebec, though. So some redemption.

DezB
    Free Member

Jeez, whitestone

Just what I was gonna say. Nuts!

TheDTs
    Free Member

[/url]dan and martha ski jumping by TheDTs2011, on Flickr[/img]

Me on the right
    Verbier, early 80’s

Northwind

I’m not actually in this photo, I took it. But it’s something I’m very proud of- this was the first year of the Glencoe Massacre, a big rideout I created back in… 2007 I think, with SV650.org. It’s still going now though I bowed out in about 2010.

The second shot is just me pootling, but I’m bringing home the last riders in my last one. I knew it was my last big ride so it was a Moment.

And while i’m at it, this is me on the first trackday I did after I broke my hip. So it’s sporty, and adventuret because I was still trying to figure out how to go round corners with one working leg 😆 But I like the shot, this one ended up getting printed in TWO magazine in an article I cowrote. Never did get paid for that!

ton

a fresh faced you man making the grade at rugby…….guess which is me.

The Boys of 1987

Posted by Wakefield Trinity Heritage on Tuesday, March 1, 2016

postierich
    Free Member

Army days
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/86S4Zc]00000002[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

slowoldman

Well thought might fish out some old climbing shots but then I saw whitestone’s.

postierich
    Free Member

Whoops only read the action man bit! no hard core climbing photos!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I think Whitestone wins the forum tonight with some great vertical stuff. I’ve got a few nice vistas taken in the alps, but not in the same technical league.

hairyscary

Best recruit at my basic training when I joined the RAF.
    Basically I could iron a shirt!

welshfarmer

Not sure if this will work…

First pic climbing 4000ers in the Alps in the late 90s

And competing in the Croatia Trophy as Co-driver back in 2010

And better add one of my first love… the underworld 🙂

Alcopop
    Free Member

1980/81..after a 30 year gap I bought another trials bike ..I was still crap so quickly sold and back to peddling up those hills

coconut
    Free Member

Some hang time

coconut
    Free Member

kayak23

Ooh, an old photos thread 🙂

Clipping the coping in the bowl at ROM skatepark (now grade II listed) about 1988

Chucking in a flat spin on Nile Special wave, Nile river, Uganda 2005

Cruising the drops, somewhere in India 2008

martinhutch

Whitestone features on the cover of at least a couple of my climbing guides. 🙂 I think the top one is one of those – Esk Buttress, no?

I’ll have to dig up a picture of me looking ridiculous on something low grade in green Ron Hills. Might have to scan it off a slide.

Cougar

Well thought might fish out some old climbing shots but then I saw whitestone’s.

My thoughts exactly. So I’ll go with this instead; taken circa 2005.

martinhutch

Bet that’s a big seagull on the other end of that.

whitestone
    Free Member

Oops! Sorry guys – didn’t mean to post a royal flush so early in the thread 😳

The shots are scanned from slides (the 1980s remember, no digital back then), I’ve hundreds of slides that I’ve not scanned for one reason or another. Actually I’ve hundreds of Kodachrome boxes of slides that haven’t been kept in the best conditions so they’d take some work to be presentable.

@Scotroutes – yes first shot is Fallout on Esk Buttress, second is on the crag behind the Old Dungeon Gill Hotel. Third is on the Petit Dru above Chamonix (the huge obvious rock spire when you enter the valley). Last shot is the crux of Minus One Gully on Ben Nevis.

@welshfarmer – we’d often head over to the Dales to do a bit of caving during the winter but to the best of my knowledge none of us ever took a photo whilst doing it.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

@cougar: Flexifoil? Trying to ID the beach. I’m sure I know those rocks…

Cougar

Now you’re asking. I think it was a Blade or Blade II of some description, and it’s possibly Anglesea. I’m far from certain though, if I’d known there’s was going to be a test I’d have taken notes. (-: I’ll have a rummage through my photos tonight if I get chance, the rest of the set might give clues.

weeksy

2006, Snetterton on my GSXR750K1 race bike… OK, so it’s not climbing mountains, but having come back from breaking bones in 0ver 20 places, it still goes down as pretty hardcore for me.

This one was Cadwell park

firestarter
    Free Member

Old work, digging in

A bit deeper

Current work

The moment we lost the school captured by the brigade photographer, only pic I have of current work I think. I’m stood on left admiring the flames 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Back when I could hold that stuff

took an age to nail that

Drunken night in Jan in the Peak set out some targets, lead E1 by the end of the year, ticked the next morning (I may have lent on the rope a little as my mate explained the leaping finish)

When Maibe went all North Shore

coconut
    Free Member

trying to id the beach

That will be Rhosneigr

scud
    Free Member

Head first abseil with no helmet and slightly inebriated…

[/url]b by Scud75, on Flickr[/img]

Enjoying proper weather in Cairngorms. Colour of my kit dates the photos!

[/url]a by Scud75, on Flickr[/img]

Hanging at the top of Mt. Toubkal

[/url]e by Scud75, on Flickr[/img]

Pic with an arti shell found on bottom when diving at Swanage that mate wanted to clean up for mantelpiece, only to realise fuse head was still in place and beach had to be evacuated!

[/url]c by Scud75, on Flickr[/img]

Finally, cocking about in North Africa somewhere in my old Land Rover 101

[/url]12 by Scud75, on Flickr[/img]
    [/url]11 by Scud75, on Flickr[/img]

Yak

Here’s a couple:

Freebornman at Swanage. This took a bit of working up to as a must-do dws. The route description included this memorable line:
    “..like leaving school, passing your driving test and burning down your first public building…” 🙂

And here on the Diamond on Lundy. I’d just lead the cracking Diamond Life to the left. Here I’m on the halfway belay of Watching the Ocean as my mate pulls out a cracking on-sight. Stunning face of granite dropping down to the sea in an incredible setting. Routes and places like these make me want to return to climbing.

fruitbat

Me and Son of Fruitbat doing a bit of synchronized stone skimming c. 2010

timb34
    Free Member

Nice Mike – Chamonix, Roaches and Froggatt for the climbing pics?

Only one of me I’ve got at the moment – Ardeche last summer:
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/Q49b4y]Ardeche2016[/url] by TimB34, on Flickr

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep, bad weather meant the boulders were a good one and the guide had the pictures guide to that simple problem 🙂 on the roaches I think that was the first time I made the leap properly, a really good perfect light pic that I need to find the negative for

acidtest
    Free Member

Can’t climb for shit but did my first Ironman when I was 19.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘It's show-off time!’ is closed to new replies.