Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • It's Not Easy Being Green, time for 'Standard standards'?
  • TimothyD
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/columns/2015/06/greg-its-not-easy-being-green/

This column has got me thinking that it could be good if all future bike frames (mtb) had oversized head tubes as standard so that any kind of fork steerer would fit, and some colaboration across the bike industry so that things aren’t quite so ‘fragmented’ when it comes to standards and parts which fit.

It’s kind of why I like friction thumbies, they can work with different speeds and 8 speed mechs can work with need speed drive trains and chains.

I guess it could lead to more products being Shimano compatible which wouldn’t please some of the the other companies in the industry…but some colaboration definitely wouldn’t go amiss.

roverpig

Why would the companies want to do that? I can’t see how it would improve their profits if they made it easier for us to re-use stuff.

thepodge
    Free Member

It would also stifle development. imagine getting a dropper in a 25.4 seat tube or never progressing past U brakes, continuing with cotterless cranks.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Got a set of hubs that do QR/15/20 on the front and 135 QR/135 10mm/142×12 amazing isn’t it. Used them on different frames, really clever idea without constraining frame designers.

wrecker
    Free Member

I wonder if manufacturers will release retro-installable wider rear ends to accommodate boost?
    I suspect not.

TimothyD
    Free Member

Exactly, retro installable rear ends are just the thing I’m thinking off, and hubs which fit different standards.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

We have hubs that fit different standards which makes swapping drop outs redundant.

wrecker
    Free Member

But not rear ends wide enough to cater for the new wider hubs…..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

remind me again what these new wider rear ends are for?

dmorts

I think (and hope) the market will dictate that some standardisation will occur again. The bike manufacturers may want people to keep buying new bikes every 2 years but I think they will hit a ceiling. People just won’t have the money or won’t put the money into something they can’t upgrade.

My 26″ wheeled full sus Commencal is 5 years old and it is almost upgraded as far as it can go (bar single ring and 10/11 speed on the back maybe). I was going to buy a 650B bike last year but now glad I didn’t. Going to keep riding 26″ and see what happens with 650B, 650B+, axle widths etc.

jonba
    Free Member
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘It's Not Easy Being Green, time for 'Standard standards'?’ is closed to new replies.