• This topic has 52 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by four.
Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • It's not about the bike……. or is it? A SDW tale
  • Bez

The smaller the bump (and the larger the tyre and the lower its pressure) the more the energy loss is reduced by tyre deflection. But not all of the energy loss from a bump can be mitigated by the tyre, and once the bump size approaches the tyre size the tyre can’t have any more effect. A wheel probably encounters quite a lot of 2″+ bumps on most rides.

But, aside from discussing the inescapable physics involved, I would think that there are numerous tests of varying rigour which demonstrate that big wheels lose less energy rolling over irregular surfaces…

YoKaiser
    Free Member

OP, maybe just have a big jobbie before you set off. A 5 or 6lb’r is ideal. And a red bike is normally faster. What colour is the orange?

Pyro

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fifeandy
    Free Member

^^ 75mm object 😆

four
    Free Member

Christ; lose some weight, graphs, hypothesis, physics…… I wish I’d never asked lol.

Ah well it is what it is eh 🙂

I darent ask what 29er FS…………

Bez

It all comes down to marginal gain-saying 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

Opened this thread expecting some interesting chat about a long-distance XC ride, maybe with some nice pictures. Instead it’s gone full physics wankathon.

Hope all the DH teams don’t see this thread, they’ll be throwing their new 29ers in the skip just days before Fort William WC.

wilburt
    Free Member

50yr old, 183cm, 85kg rider of a 29er. 🙂

29er’s are nice for XC if I didnt have one I would buy one. Losing weight is also great but takes some conviction post 40 and the occasional pie and pint would be missed.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Hope all the DH teams don’t see this thread, they’ll be throwing their new 29ers in the skip just days before Fort William WC.

You know the reason they have gone 29er in the first place right?
    Because underneath the external appearance of baggies and a cool laid back persona, they are all really just excited by having a

full physics wankathon

nedrapier

maybe with some nice pictures

Approaching Cocking from the west on a drop bar 29er with file tread cx tyres. What physics for slating my wheel choice?

Study the photograph above. Have I fallen off here due to hitting an obstacle with the wrong size wheels, or have I stopped for a rest?
    If I’ve stopped for a rest, would I have stopped for a rest earlier or later if I’d been riding a 26er hardtail with 2.2″ semi slicks? (Assume 22psi)

chakaping
    Free Member

You know the reason they have gone 29er in the first place right?
    Because underneath the external appearance of baggies and a cool laid back persona, they are all really just excited by having a

full physics wankathon

I read the interviews with Santa Cruz and Trek bods saying they’d tested the bikes against the clock and found them convincingly faster.

They didn’t go into what kind of theoretical analysis they’d carried out though.

Bez

What physics for slating my wheel choice?

It’s the SDW, it’s more flinting than slating 😉

four
    Free Member

Yes lots of flint, not much slate, although there was a very odd cobbled bit.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘It's not about the bike……. or is it? A SDW tale’ is closed to new replies.