Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • It's not a race, it's not a race, it's…
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Ok, it’s a race. Australian guy on a Kona behind me on the Labyrinth section of Swinley red this evening,you know who you are. The skidding noises, the occasional oath and the breathing told me you were giving it the beans, but you still couldn’t catch me.. And you burned yourself out in the process.. I win! Stranger victory!

The whippet guy in the blue top with matching Blue Giant.. Well let’s not talk about him or his whippet mates…

Thanks for making it interesting 🙂

scaredypants

The skidding noises, the occasional oath and the breathing told me you were giving it the beans masturbating furiously while riding one-handed, but you still couldn’t catch me.. And you burned yourself out in the process.. I win! Stranger victory!

Well, granted, seagulling fail (assuming you’ve checked your shirt)

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I thought this was going to be about sportives.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

you won a race no one else knew they were in

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

you won a race no one else knew they were in

Every trip down the labrynth is a race, if the guy behind catches up you’ve lost.

And if he doesn’t get you, the wherewolves will.

JoeG
    Free Member

wherewolves

😆

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh, he knew. Well, the kona guy did. That’s the point.. It developed into a race because of how hard he was trying to catch me 🙂 all good fun.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Kona guy be like “wow! That’s molgrips! I ain’t never gonna be half the rider that man is, but if I can just keep him in sight on Labyrinth that’ll make my day”.

😉

legend
    Free Member

If you could hear him breathing I’m pretty sure you caught you

Kryton57

What legend says. Surely they were gasps and swear of frustration about being held up.

vinnyeh

Kona guy desperately hoping he’s not going to be stuck behind Molgrip’s car on the way home. And if he’s bought the caravan…..

I normally just pull over and let them past if they’re faster than me. Easy.

bikebouy
    Free Member

If you could hear him breathing, you needed to get out of the way
    😆

MrNice
    Free Member

was this trail open to the public at the time of your impromptu race?

DT78
    Free Member

Kona guy “STRAAAAAAVVVVVVAAA…..oh #%€% who is this slow guy holding me up?

🙂

mooman
    Free Member

Yep – hear somebody breathing behind you on the trail is a pretty obvious sign of ‘get out the way’.

Sorry. But you lost your own private race …

molgrips
    Free Member

He caught me, then I sped up, because competitiveness 🙂

ut that’s not the point.. Just celebrating impromptu competition that makes for a bit of amusement.. And also trolling a little for those who think competitiveness is negative.

jamesoz

For the know it alls, the trail double backs a lot so you can hear and see riders from way back.

wwaswas

you can hear and see riders from way back

molgrips ghostly pursuer?

legend
    Free Member

jamesoz – Member
    For the know it alls, the trail double backs a lot so you can hear and see riders from way back.
    POSTED 8 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Must be hella tight turn if you can hear them breathe on the way past!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Must be hella tight turn if you can hear them breathe on the way past!

presume that was sarcasm, but yes, they are, its something daft like 2km of trails in an area smaller than a football pitch, hence its name.

adsh
    Free Member

Crest hill prior to Labyrinth at HR Zone 6 breathing through arse. See group of guys sitting on 140mm FS bikes at start of Labyrinth. Ride past looking hardcore Jeyboy thinking how fit/skilled you are on your carbon HT with bottles. Start Labyrinth getting HR down and trying to hold speed. Hear noise behind you and realise AM types have taken the metaphorical gauntlet. Ha you’ll rinse them on the ups.

They really are quite close. Shit I can’t drop them…. panics…. smoothness gone, effort up, speed drops, **** up root on the tight right and have to dab. Reason utterly gone, mad thrutching gasping styleless mania ensues until – the shame of it – you have to concede defeat. All subsequent efforts go into recovery to appear as if you weren’t trying. At this point you get faster and can almost forget the nightmare that just happened until you read this thread.

Tiger6791

Went round Swinley with a very old bike yesterday, it even had a Hammax child seat bracket on it and mudguards.

weeksy

If nothing else, this thread has just prompted me to email all the lads for a jaunt to Swinley, possibly tonight 🙂

RobHilton
    Free Member

trolling a little for those who think competitiveness stroking your cock over being able to “have” someone on a section of the uber-gnar of Swinley is negative.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Stranger racing is the best!

I reckon we can all sense when the other rider is ‘up for it’ that sudden turn of speed, the couple of clicks on the shifter – RACE ON!

I’ve had some great ones over the years, really lost on ‘The Wall’ once though, I was being caught so I ‘kicked’ and went for it, pulled a decent sized gap until I over-cooked a turn and went straight off the side of the trail, it was on that big slabby bit near the top went it looks like you’re going to fall for a thousand miles, thankfully it’s not a steep as it looks and I just rolled for a bit – we both had a good laugh about it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Rob, it’s not cock stroking. If it were I’d have omitted the part about being thrashed later on by whippets, wouldn’t I?

wwaswas

Someone should invent an online service where strangers can compare how long it takes them to ride certain defined sections of trail.

D0NK

My last “stranger race” (not sure I like that term) was with a 12year oldish lad, I passed him and, presumably, his dad and younger brother and he decided to chase me so I upped the pace some more and pretty soon realised I could only lose.
    I “win”: big wow, you beat a 12yo, go you! 🙄
    I lose: haha you suck
    I crash: haha you dick!
    he crashes: look what you did you despicable human being!

Fortunately trail soon forked and we went separate ways.

hooli

Someone should invent an online service where strangers can compare how long it takes them to ride certain defined sections of trail.

Nah, it would never catch on

Kryton57

Tiger6791 – Member
    Went round Swinley with a very old bike yesterday, it even had a Hammax child seat bracket on it and mudguards.

Where you held up by someone per chance?

DanW
    Free Member

Nah it was the 80 year old guy who’d ridden 5 hours with two kids in a tag along that was getting held up by Molgrips 😀

It is pointless and annoying for everyone else but seems like fun at the time. Come on, you’ve all done it. At least Molgrips didn’t sit on the wheel of a roadie- we don’t need another of those threads! 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

annoying for everyone else

How on earth..?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Oh, that came later

akira

The important thing is not to look like youre racing, then fake a mechanical at the end of the section to get your breath back.

Tiger6791

Maybe he just had Asthma?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Rob, it’s not cock stroking

I *may* have been

trolling a little

:mrgreen:

Rorschach
    Free Member

. Australian guy on a Kona behind me

It was probably the corks hanging off his helmet and the fosters in his camel back whilst singing ‘tie my kangaroo down sport’ at the top of his voice ‘distracting’ him.

bigblackshed

“Waltzing Matilda” shirley?

molgrips
    Free Member

Racing molgrips, racing molgrips
    You’ll come a-racing molgrips with me,
    As he huffed and he puffed and he rode his bike off-line,
    You’ll come a-racing molgrips with me.

brakes
    Free Member

it’s all racing, have some props

:PROPS:

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘It's not a race, it's not a race, it's…’ is closed to new replies.