Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • It's national cycle to work day.. Did you?
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

I did but would have done anyway.
    It’s so nice I nearly kept on going…

Not sure if it actually encourages people to cycle to work or whether it’s a promotion by halfords / cycle scheme to sell bikes..
    Absolutely Beautiful day out there and a shame to be wasting it at work.

philjunior
    Free Member

Yeah, the weather was only just nice enough here to take the summer road bike out. I do ride in every day anyway though.
    Fastest commute of the year so far, so well worth taking the nice bike!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Was supposed to be but worked from home. Might pop out later to assuage my guilt

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

No…

Because I was not due to work today. 😉

ads678

I did. But usually do a few days a week anyway. I didn’t ride in because of a ‘special day’ though.

chakaping
    Free Member

Work from home.

But I did cycle round the driveway a bit earlier, testing a bike out.

allan23
    Free Member

Considered it a while back but then got landed on my own this week at work and on call so have to be able to drive and lug around a 2.5kg laptop.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yes 🙂 Wrong country though and it rained on the way home.

Not sure if it actually encourages people to cycle to work or whether it’s a promotion by halfords / cycle scheme to sell bikes..

If you give people the excuse to try something, some of them might like it. Like giving free healthy food options out

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

I did. It occurred to me on the way that there’s little point in encouraging cycling to work at the onset of Autumn and 6 weeks before the clocks go back. Wouldn’t it be better to it in April or May so that those thinking about it have a summer to get into the routine before the onset of crap weather and dark days? Better to promote than not at all though.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Only day this week I havent, normaly have one day a week as rest day, otherwise I tend to find I’m bollox’d by the weekend, nominated today as picked up a puncture in the rain last night, managed to limp it home with adding air, (luckily was in the last mile) and was too busy last night to attend to it.

Have put surfboard in car this morning, so home via the beach tonight me thinks

What exactly is cycle to work day?

landslide

2nd year in a row I’ve been working from home. Meh.

pondo

Yep, don’t think I’ve missed a CTW day since it started. 🙂 Done next to no cycling this year and really enjoyed it today, so maybe the revival starts here. 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

I didn’t today, but did yesterday and will tomorrow.

Needs to be targeted at employers as much as staff to get more support/buy in.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What exactly is cycle to work day?

https://www.cycletoworkday.org/

Some explanation but in reality it’s probably not aimed as much at the regular commuters.
    As with many of the National ___ ____ ____ days it’s about awareness and promotion.
    You will get a news story, pics and film of stuff. A conversation at work, maybe one about how nice it was to cycle in or how much easier than you thought it was going to be. Throw in some good driver ed stuff in parallel and the promotion of cycling as a normal activity and more people might keep going for a bit. Agree it would be much better in Late spring though.

edlong
    Free Member

don’t think I’ve missed a CTW day since it started

I ride to work 95% of the time, but every single CTW day seems to land on the other 5% when I can’t for various reasons. This year has been no exception. Not been a noticeable increase in cyclists around here today.

timber

Day off today.
    But it’s given me time to finish refitting the back brake to the tandem. A few rides up and down the village, pistons settled, bled OK, but I’m not going to be bedding in the pads on my own.

Wouldn’t normally ride to work anyway, job is quite physical so risk ending up stuck at work without the energy to ride home.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Work from home.

Went out for a quick 20 mile loop before work. Was lovely!

dmorts

It occurred to me on the way that there’s little point in encouraging cycling to work at the onset of Autumn and 6 weeks before the clocks go back. Wouldn’t it be better to it in April or May so that those thinking about it have a summer to get into the routine before the onset of crap weather and dark days?

It does seem some what bizarre to do it in September. April or May would make a lot more sense. I think it’s unlikely to get people continuing to cycle in.

Also I didn’t cycle today, but will tomorrow. Trying to do at least one day a week (55km there and back) How about a cycle to work week instead?

tomhoward

No, but I’m out for a ride this eve

jaylittle
    Free Member

Teacher training day so not in but been out round the local woods…

superfli
    Free Member

I did. On my motor… cycle 8)

fasthaggis

Yup,in today and the rain that was forecast stayed away.
    I just told our lot that they should make our bike to work breakfast the same day ( it was 3 weeks ago).

leftyboy
    Free Member

No but my excuse is I’m still broken!

nedrapier

wfh. in a sling. might have a bash on the trainer later.

somafunk

I cycle to work every day but as today is so nice in Galloway I’ve taken the day off to play on the bike instead of working 😀

PMK2060

I cycle to work 4 days a week and cycled in today. I did not see another cyclist on the 10 mile road commute and there was only the usual 2 bikes in the bike shelter at work. I cannot explain this as at least 15 employees are in the c2w scheme :?.

I am noticing more cycle commuters on the trans pennine trail this year which is a good thing.

tthew

Yep, but probably would have done anyway. Seemed to be a lot more out on the Chester to Connahs’s Quay path this morning.

Pondo’s effort makes the whole day a success though.

colin9

I did, but didn’t find out it was a special cycle to work day until I had arrived.

It occurred to me on the way that there’s little point in encouraging cycling to work at the onset of Autumn and 6 weeks before the clocks go back. Wouldn’t it be better to it in April or May so that those thinking about it have a summer to get into the routine before the onset of crap weather and dark days?

I agree.

fathomer

Yep, as I do pretty much every day.

Didn’t see anyone I don’t usually see on a bike and as usual I’m the only one at our place. I imagine 90% of the population have no idea its National Cycle to Work Day!

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Up at 4:55 for 50 miles into London. Lovely stuff.

nathb
    Free Member

Yep.

Now the schools are back traffic is grim! Got used to less traffic/chelsea tractors for the last 6 weeks.

dragon
    Free Member

I imagine 90%99% of the population have no idea its National Cycle to Work Day!

I had no idea, whether it would have made me cycle today I doubt it. Probably will do tomorrow though.

toby1

Cambridge (outskirts) to London – so about 70 miles. No.

However, from 2004 till the end of 2015 I did so I put my time in – I also miss it like crazy, so hoping after a couple of years here I can go back to working closer to home 🙁

wilko1999
    Free Member

Is it? News to me. As it happens yes I did, for the first time in ages. Good coincidence.

joat

I did, and always do if I’m not on call (when I have a work truck) . It’s only two and half miles though, still, it’s better than the woman I see driving to work all of 500 yards, I wouldn’t even get the bike out for that.

amedias
    Free Member

yes but I would have anyway….

How about a cycle to work week instead?

A lot of local councils do this in partnership with LoveToRide, but unless your employer or someone in your company pushes it it tends to get ignored.

I think in some ways it’s kinda sad that there is a National cycle to work day, making it out like it’s a ‘thing’ rather than a normal day to day activity and a valid normal mode of transport, is there a drive to work day? But any exposure is better than nothing and hopefully some good comes of it.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Doh! forgot all about it.
    A few years ago here they gave free bacon rolls to everyone who cycled to work but I think now they’re trying to discourage cycling now due to the increased traffic from the Hinkley C construction.

dmorts

I did see a fair few more cyclists this morning, and they were all on a hazardous stretch (in my opinion) of the A71 between Wilkieston and Hermiston, just outside Edinburgh.

Further west towards Livingston and past Kirknewton, the A71 widens and straightens and is much better. However between Wilkieston and Hermiston there are plenty of blind bends and a much narrower carriageway. The cycle commuters I know (and me) avoid this section. A NCN cycle route (75) exists less than 0.5 mile away that bypasses it.

Spud

I started, got 2 miles and bike decided no. So the thought was there, if only I’d stuck to the CX and not the ‘winter’ bike – yes I know….

dmorts

is there a drive to work day?

That’s tomorrow.

Monday = Walk
    Tuesday = Run
    Wednesday = Cycle
    Thursday = Drive
    Friday = Fly

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘It's national cycle to work day.. Did you?’ is closed to new replies.