Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • It's mid-July, so the obvious question is – which waterproof riding jacket?
  • IHN

After getting a soaking last night, I think my Gill eVent (Speed Pro?)has reached the end of it’s natural life. I’ll give a go with some re-proofer, but I think it’s probably a gonna.

So, recommend me a jacket. I loved the Gill because it was

– a great cut (long arms and back)
    – simple (no pockets)
    – most importantly, eVent, the only waterproof fabric I’ve found that’s actually breathable enough to be able to ride properly in it.

Assuming it needs to be replaced, what should I get that will be as good?

IHN

Anyone? Surely waterproofs are pretty popular items at the moment…

cuberider
    Free Member

I have two jackets I like:

Oxygen GT jacket (very slim cut – best for road)
    Alp X zip off jacket (very breathable, Windstopper Active Shell)

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Granted, it’s not cycling specific, but it packs down small & is spotty dog IMHO..

Mountain Hardwear

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Here’s your winner;
    http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/m6b0s181p9303/BONTRAGER_eVent_Packable_Stormshell_

eVent – Check
    Simple – Check (OK, so one pocket, but quite useful, I reckon)
    Great cut – Check. Very impressed (I was replacing a beloved old Gill with full pit zips as well)
    Pit zips – Check. Extra win, IMH

£105 – Bargain.

Just bought one of these from Triton. Very much impressed with their service, and with the jacket itself.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

RichT

Some options:
    Montane photon in yellow for £99 at sportsshoes.com (nicer colours are more expensive)
    Pace 3×3 event also £99
    Endura helium can be had for about £85

AndrewJ
    Free Member

I think my Gill eVent (Speed Pro?)has reached the end of it’s natural life. I’ll give a go with some re-proofer, but I think it’s probably a gonna.

I thought the whole idea of eVent fabric was that you don’t re-proof it, simply wash it and steam iron it on a medium setting. That’s what the instructions say on my 2 year old DHB eVent jacket. Always beads water fine for a while after ironing.

scaled
    Free Member

I’m yet to try a waterproof that doesnt result in boil in the bag cyclist :/

IHN

I thought the whole idea of eVent fabric was that you don’t re-proof it, simply wash it and steam iron it on a medium setting.

I think that’s true to a point, but the jacket is five or six years old now, and after a ride in steady rain yesterday I was soaked through. I suppose this could be from sweat if the DWR has gone (and it has) so the rain isn’t beading and the fabric can’t breathe properly.

eVent care here BTW:

http://www.eventfabrics.com/care_and_maintenance.php

I like the look of the Berghaus jacket.

_tom_
    Free Member

Still really pleased with my Salomon Fast 3 ski jacket. The underarms aren’t waterproof so they actually let air in and the fit is great for cycling. Come up a bit small, I’m normally a medium and a large is about right though getting a bit big now. Pretty cheap compared to cycling brands as well I think.

Northwind

This time of year it’s impossible, IME- it’s wet and it’s warm. Even a long-sleeve cycling jersey boils me let alone a long-sleeved waterproof.

Gilet is a better option IMO but even then they’re sweaty as soon as I’m riding (even with my EVENT one with a full mesh back)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘It's mid-July, so the obvious question is – which waterproof riding jacket?’ is closed to new replies.