Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • It's me or the bike, help me decide.
  • toys19
    Free Member

Ok its not what you think…

In the light of a recent spending moratorium imposed by she who holds the short and curlies, I am having difficulties achieving my monthly retail fix.
    BUT…
    I am in the lucky position of having 280 pounds sterling of crc vouchers and there are two things I want especially for my upcoming trip to Switchbacks DH in spain. The money will go to protecting either me (neck brace) or bike (tr450)..

Me – Alpinestars Neck brace. Tried on on love it, the leatt didn’t fit well users report no necks broken, two kids at home to worry about..

The Bike – Spunky travel bag to look after my 5k’s worth of Transition TR450 beloved DH bike.

Which to go for? (I’m leaning towards the bikebag, I might be able to break the spending moratorium by using the possibility of a broken neck as bait to get her to buy me the brace…)

valleydaddy
    Free Member

simple neck brace your bike is worthless to you if you break your neck!!

I hope you don’t I’d like to add.

Cheaper bike bag and protect it well inside with bubble wrap/cardboard

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Probably neither, but if I had to choose – A bike bag. Cant see the need for a neck brace, especially if you dont wear one over here. How hard are you going to be pushing yourself on holiday? Its not like you’re racing are you? Just ride the tracks and enjoy them.

toys19
    Free Member

I would wear the neck brace here too…

uplink
    Free Member

Toys on his hols 🙂

oblique
    Free Member

WOW!

I wish i could blow that much money on riding even if i wasn’t on a spening ban.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

A skills course so you dont fall off as much?

supertramp
    Free Member

NECK BRACE! it seem silly to spend all that on a bag to protect your bike when you could fall off it and wreck it at any point! At least you have a better chance of survival.

sharkbait
    Free Member

If you buy the brace you are pretty much guaranteed to not fall off!
    You can borrow/rent a bag but not a neck 😕

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

NECK BRACE!

Do you wear a neck brace every day? What if you fell down the stairs and broke your neck?

Its all calculated risks, if you’re racing and pushing yourself 100% then perhaps they make sense.

You’re on holiday riding some tracks, its a fairly relaxed affair. Chances of falling off are greatly reduced as your riding within your comfort zone. Hence it doesnt make much sense to me.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I assume you already have shin/knee/elbow pads then? I must admit I have never thought about a neck brace (and I have been on a Switchbacks holiday). I did get some gloves with kevlar knuckle protectors too, but only because they were cheap in my LBS as they had a manufacturing fault.

So for me it would be a bike bag or…. hire one

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

A neck brace isnt going to stop you getting a neck injury though. Hopefully it will reduce the risk but it aint going to stop it!

lunge

Bike bag, and then pursuade your other half that you need the neckbrace as well.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I’d go for a much cheaper bike bag lined with a free box from LBS, like I already have done 🙂

Also some tyres and a few plates of ribs.

Stuey01
    Free Member

A neck brace isnt going to stop you getting a neck injury though. Hopefully it will reduce the risk but it aint going to stop it!

What? It is designed expressly to prevent him getting a neck injury. It can’t reduce the chance of an injury to zero, but to say it won’t stop him getting a neck injury is patently bollox, there are many instances in which that is exactly what it would do.

Junkyard
    Free Member

neck brace you are worth more than your bike …..even to me 😉

RobHilton
    Free Member

You’re on holiday riding some tracks, its a fairly relaxed affair

Not necessarily 🙂 I’m betting he’ll be going as fast as he can push it on 556.

rocketman
    Free Member

Having had first-hand experience of baggage handlers ‘unloading’ a bike from the plane, seeing it hit the ground and then laughing as they tossed it back onto the trolley thing, I can only recommend a weapons-grade mil-standard bike bag.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

lined with a free box from LBS

I take it your LBS isn’t Stif then? 😉

I was quoted £10 quoted for a box already left out with the rubbish when I popped in to politely ask if I could take one. (Granted this was ages ago, but I won’t forget it nor buy another bike from them).

handyman
    Free Member

Neck brace no question, I wear one when I go downhilling, if I never need it great, if do I do fall and it protects me even better but lying in a bed thinking “should of bought one/ used one” is not an option. I tend to ride all runs from green to black diamonds am building up to the double diamomds slowly as my skill/confidence improves, I also wear sixsix one evo suit and pads these have saved me from a nasty collection of scapes and bruises

vinnyeh

18bikes will rent you one of the Evoc bags.
    Buy the brace.

iDave
    Free Member

Personally I’d use a cardboard box, no neck brace and spend the money on tapas and rioja

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

iDave – Member
    Personally I’d use a cardboard box, no neck brace and spend the money on tapas and rioja

toys19
    Free Member

Bike bag rental is going to cost me 80 (30 rent 25 each way postage)

Thats 3.5 trips. I’ve flown with my bike twice this year and fully intend to do more…

Thanks for the advice chaps, I’m going with the bag on the hope that the mrs will let me open the vaults for the neck brace once I warm her up a bit with horror stories of dreadful biking accidents..

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah bag now then search websites for horror stories of broken necks from crashes and get your missus to read them

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘It's me or the bike, help me decide.’ is closed to new replies.