Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • It's Klingon!!!
  • druidh
    Free Member

LEGIONS of Star Trek fans will be lured to the Borders after a mysterious monument in a mountain bike haven was revealed to contain a message from the Final Frontier.

Thousands of visitors have been baffled by a bizarre and incomprehensible inscription on the sculpture unveiled at Glentress – Scotland's foremost mountain biking centre – near Peebles, two years ago.

The language of the inscription has been taken for Gaelic, Welsh and even Maori.

But now Scotland on Sunday can reveal that the text on the Glentress Meteorite stone, which sits in a Tweeddale forest, is actually a warning in Klingon – the language of a race of prominent-foreheaded aliens in the hit TV show.

The message, which was created by artist Gordon Young and funded by the European Union and the Forestry Commission, has been translated for the first time.

The text is written on the rock, which was sculpted to appear as if it landed from outer space. The guttural sounding message translates as: "Due to bad management by its current inhabitants, the Klingon Empire claims the right to take this planet for the benefit of the greater universe. This rock is an official legally binding claim marker. We will be arriving soon, your future is assured."

Young said the inscription was a tongue-in-cheek tribute to the popularity of the long-running sci-fi series. "I had heard that Scotland was a stronghold of Trekkiedom and we wanted to reflect that," he said.

epicyclo

The Klingons won't stand a chance if they try to take Scotland from the Scots 🙂

They can have the rest of the island though…

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Is that for real?

If so what a f**king waste of money. I hope they didn't use tax payers money to pay for that.

Northwind

Is this news? It's one of the 7 Stanes. Ae gets a big sandstone head thingmy with some poetry on it, Mabie has its ghost (though I managed not to see that somehow), Kirroughtree has its gem… Not sure about the others. And Glentress has a big fibreglass meteorite with klingon written on it.

Not sure what it's all supposed to be about mind but not sure why it's a problem? Except that the Glentress one's just dumped at the side of a fireroad, behind a big pile of hardcore, which is a shame.

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Not problem, just don;t like goverment departments wasting money on crap. That has nothing to with the spending cost thats just in general, it gets right on my nerves. O and if the money came from the carparking fees they charge thats just as bad.
    Spend the money on making the place better or wages for teh guys that build and upkeep the stuff but don't watse on on totally pointless crap.

epicyclo

Stop complaining. It must have been paid for by the Klingon government – surely our government wouldn't allow that.

Seriously though, why complain? It's not as if it's in the mountains – it's in a bike playground, and there will be kids who appreciate it.

yunki
    Free Member

totally pointless crap.

said an art appreciater earlier today whilst burning some books and hating music.

coastkid
    Free Member

Midges will drive away the Klingons, thats why the Romans left 😮

sc-xc

Loads of Klingons racing past you shouting 'on your starboard bow'…

Tiger6791

Midges will drive away the Klingons, thats why the Romans left

I always wondered if history had been a bit different (as the whole Nazis invading the UK was a bit touch and go at times) what the Nazis would have done with Scotland, (or rather what the Scots would have done with the Nazis) they've got a pretty good record for repelling visitors.

Sorry bit OT

phiiiiil

Loads of Klingons racing past you shouting 'on your starboard bow'…
    [/i]

Unless you're on a narrow bit and they're shouting "Prepare for RAMMING SPEED!"…

IdleJon

Dirtynap – Member
    Not problem, just don;t like goverment departments wasting money on crap.

Strangely enough, 1000s of car drivers would say the same about cycle lanes at the side of roads, and I'm sure many more of the general public wonder why loads of money goes into trailbuilding.

mr_stru

And I was just wondering what that said yesterday. Hurrah for the interwebs!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Dirtynap

No street art at all then? Your world would be a dull place. I love finding unexpected oddities like that – and the cost is minimal

Northwind

TBH if you want to get annoyed at money wasting at Glentress there's more obvious places to start :mrgreen: These things were a tiny fraction of the initial 7 stanes budget and if they played a part in giving the project some identity, then that sounds good to me.

grahamh
    Free Member

Midges will drive away the Klingons

No the empire will declare war on the midges and wipe them
    out just as they did to the tribbles. 😆

proteus
    Free Member

Art is good.

Not sure copying out a few words of a made-up language from a TV show onto a rock and bunging it in the middle of the forest does it for me though…

The Pointless Stane might not a waste of money, but this most certainly is.

And finally, puff pieces in the papers about the 7Stanes used to be about the trails and bike riding. How times change…

oldgit
    Free Member

Bag 'O' shite

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘It's Klingon!!!’ is closed to new replies.