Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • "Its Grim Up North" Hope Video
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

We done this yet?
    http://m.pinkbike.com/news/its-grim-up-north-hope-tech-video-2015.html

Fits in quite nicely with the thread the other day about badly prepared bikers on Helvellyn. Nothing bad to say about this mind you, I suspect the crew were all well equiped. Riding (when they did) was great to watch, but [Points of View] why oh why oh why [/Points of View] would you carry a bike up Swirral Edge in that weather?

If you must go up, surely turning back and heading up Keppel Cove would have been far more sensible?

matt_outandabout

Great riding and adventure, but they do put across being unprepared and Poorly informed…but then it could up just be a show. Unfortunately the top gear effect means some plum will copy them, using footpath and ignoring storm force winds…..

chakaping
    Free Member

Unfortunately the top gear effect means some plum will copy them, using footpath and ignoring storm force winds…..

Top Gear effect? What;s that? I don’t wantch it.

I think it’s more likely that impressionable young people will watch it and think: “Hang on, maybe it’s not such a bright idea to head up Helvellyn in the snow after all.”

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Nice T5. Converted by the same guy who did mine 😉

martinhutch

Only a couple of deaths on Helvellyn this month so far, one involving a fall off an iced-up Swirral.

Nice cranks though.

Let’s hope the video does make folk think twice about climbing snow-plastered ridges in MTB shoes carrying a bike in pisspoor weather rather than making it look like a jolly jape. Suppose I did the same kind of stupid stuff when I was young, though, even without the benefit of sponsorship.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Nice vid.

Reasonably quick through the woods……

😯

darrenspink
    Free Member

A few moments I thought they were seriously out of their depth. Which is stupid of Hope considering it could of resulted in the injury/death of those lads and maybe camera guy along with taking up the time of the volunteers of mountain rescue.

Am I being too Dad?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Do dads say could of instead of could have? 😀

DickBarton

Watched it…it did look a bit tough but didn’t look like a no-go…I’ve been in similar weather but probably not as high up, but it didn’t look properly bad…liked the video.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Great video, reminded me of quite a few lakes epics, bike kite is a special kind of fun…

darrenspink
    Free Member

Do dads say could of instead of could have?

Yes, sometimes apparently.

justme
    Free Member

I know Sams dad and he’d probably gone with them! (But he is a highly qualified outdoor instructor) I would think the lads were less out of their depth than it appeared g

digga
    Free Member

On the one hand I admire the “can do”, carefree attitude and it is a very funny take on the North-South divide. Excess stupidity propels most of us through our youth – it certainly propelled me and three mates up Striding Edge, in the snow, in February, armed with nothing more than a crap ice axe apiece.

On the other hand, the whole cool “look no pack” (often also no pads, gloves etc. etc.) thing with many mtb videos is a bit daft. Most of us know better, but not everyone does.

As other people here rightly point out, the hills are not to be trifled with. I’ve been on St Sunday Crag (opposite Helvellyn) on a glorious summers day and see a grey wall of squalling rain sweep in from the north, obliterating the view. The temperature dropped rapidly and, once the storm passed, the RAF rescue helicopter was out – a bloke on Helvellyn (up near Hole in the Wall) was walking in shorts and t-shirt with his kid and had no waterproof or weather gear and died of exposure. Only takes ten minutes.

chakaping
    Free Member

I know Sams dad and he’d probably gone with them! (But he is a highly qualified outdoor instructor) I would think the lads were less out of their depth than it appeared g

Don’t spoil everyone’s fun in judging people they don’t know based on minimal evidence!

matt_outandabout

Great riding and adventure, but they do put across being unprepared and Poorly informed…but then it could up just be a show.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘"Its Grim Up North" Hope Video’ is closed to new replies.