Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Its Friday: Long travel 26'' HTs …. Inspire me.
  • mindmap3
    Free Member

My Stanton stays on full travel all the time. It’s not the best climber, but it feels horrible if I use the ETA. It started life with so e 130mm forks from the BFe but it didn’t feel right. I think it’s feel better with 150mm.

singlespeedstu

How about a long travel hardtail 29er.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/e7tHD8]2013_0331welshweekend0040[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

Euro
    Free Member

456 Summer Season with Talas. Rarely in LT mode as it works great between 110-130.

matther01
    Free Member

My Slackline Ti sporting 160/130 dual pikes. It’s so light for being a LT HT it’s ridiculous…and the ride is even better than the Soul it replaced (which was a proper shock). I hope I never have to sell her!

130 on the ups…160 on the downs

typer
    Free Member

My 140mm chameleon, I love this bike. So much fun to ride 🙂

Karl33to
    Free Member

Run my Shan at full travel nearly all of the time, if you drop the fork on technical climbs the low bb can be an issue with catching the pedals on stuff, so will only wind it down if there’s a massive long fire road climb.

Suggsey
    Free Member

My Cove Stiffee
    Fitted with 140 u turn dual air revs, cheapo clarks brakes which work with zero rub or faffage, XT and SLX 1×9 30t NW, fulcrum UST wheelset and Thomson stem, seatpost and race face bars. This frame brought the forks to life when fitted on my 456 I was always underwhelmed by them. It is without doubt the best hardtail I have owned and is one that I will ride until it dies on me. Only downside is 30mm seat tube……..not much choice for dropper compatibility so it’s arse in the air and pray or undo the Hope QR. 😆

Suggsey
    Free Member

Suggsey
    Free Member

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

My 456C. Didn’t really like it to begin with. Put some faster tyres on it. Forks were faulty from new,then when they went on the 456, were just wrong. Mojo rebuilt with an FOC replacement damper, as it was an issue on that year, so 2013 internals. Goldtec hubs, TA rings. Shitty smoothie headset now working with better sealed bearings, but will change it when it dies. Weapon of choice for local rides. 3rd ride this week for it , in the morning. Triple rings means gnarly climbs and 40 mph possible. It just rides so well. Whippet is going to get stripped and sold. When it dies, which hopefully isn’t soon, not sure what would be as good………

timmys

I would love a Stanton Slackline to accompany my Sherpa 29 but I think the 18″ would be too small

How tall are you? I’m 6’2″ on my 18″ Slackline.

huws
    Free Member

Cotic BFe. Even on uplift days it stays between 100-120mm travel. Tried it once with 160mm fox 36 forks, it was utterly horrible.

billyboulders
    Free Member

Do you all run maximum travel all of the time?

Yep, although the Revs on my Ragley Ti (photo on pg. 1) are spaced down to “only” 140mm. It’s perfect. Nearly 5 years I’ve had it as my only bike and never really seriously thought of replacing it.

…..Until I saw that pic. of matther01’s Slackline Ti 😉

Northwind

I used to wind my forks up and down with my BFe and C456, with the Ragleys I don’t think there’s any need- it’s a ridiculously good climber, I don’t really know exactly why it’s so much better than the similiar-numbers 456. Titanium innit.

winch
    Free Member

Do you all run maximum travel all of the time?

I’m now running dpa Lyriks on my Alpine which stay at 130mm for most riding as the bike feels more flickable. I do crank out to 160mm for very steep and/or technical rocky descents.

son-of-mike
    Free Member

@ ska-49/anyone

What’s the bike in the photo you posted?

deviant
    Free Member

My 456-Evo, lovely bike, it had everything…..wonderfully responsive frame, plush coil spring fork, compliant 27.2mm seatpost, slack angles etc etc…loved riding it.

For some reason i butchered it to build a 45650b.

The 27.5 version of the 456 family is brutally capable, it is long, low and bludgeons it was through anything….but its not fun, there is no playful steel ‘twang’ from the rear triangle, the bike steers like a barge in comparison to 26ers etc.

If i didnt have a Ragley Piglet i’d be hunting around frantically trying to build another 26 inch hardtail, there is something just right about them, like a large BMX…bigger wheeled bikes lose this feeling in my opinion.
    I cant see 26 wheels going anywhere soon, i know the Enduro scene and DH scene will move across because ultimately they want the fastest bikes and 650b seems to be the way to go…on a FS i can see the point but for dicking about in the woods its 26 inch wheels every time for me.

sheephills
    Free Member

Euro – what size is the 456
    I’m looking to build a 456 myself but can’t deside between a 18 or 20″ (6.2 or 188cm – retired bmxer)

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I don’t know about the older 456 like Euro’s SS, but in 456 EVO2 Ti sizing, at 6’2′” I’m very happy riding the 20″ frame.
    140mm 44RC3Ti fork, 50mm stem and 745mm bar. Often use it for big mountain days in the Lakes and find it very competent over technical stuff.

Saccades
    Free Member

guess it’s due it’s annual wash…

Edit to say it’s a 456EBB Prototype and yes, that is a spanner on the downtube for the alfine hub.

steezysix
    Free Member

My Kona Steely, love it so much I got rid of my (rarely used) FS bike.

Euro
    Free Member

Sheephills, it’s a gate-like 20″ frame. I’m 6’5″ and got it so i have a bike that almost fits me (it’s got a 70mm stem on). For general cycling it’s grand but even with the seat slammed it’s a bit tall for jumping – can’t do x-ups/turndowns as the bars only go to 90 before hitting the toptube 😕 (have a few spacers in but have also tried high rise bars – . clearance is ok with high bars and tons of spacer but really tall front for cycling) and on supa steep stuff it feels like my weight is too far forward. As one retired bmxer to another it’d recommend 18″ if you want to throw it about a bit.

sheephills
    Free Member

Euro, yes it has to be a Little gate-ish to be able to pedal for longer time.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Its Friday: Long travel 26'' HTs …. Inspire me.’ is closed to new replies.