• This topic has 22 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Solo.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • It's Foggy. Put your lights on!
  • andy8442
    Free Member

Why? I don’t get it?

Out on a bike ride this morning and I’m more visible than 50% of the vehicles on the road!

You get get in your car put your seat belt on, lights on, start up and your’re off. How hard can it be?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Unless of course it’s perfect visibilty, or raining, or nightime… or any OTHER time and on come the front and rear fogs….

dooosuk
    Free Member

I reckon most people don’t use them as they have no idea where the switch is and aren’t confident enough to find it whilst driving.

Mister-P
    Free Member

People are stupid and lazy. Move on.

buck53

Because it would mean recognising that they have a duty of care to other road users when on the road? Never gonna happen, nothing to do with me, mate.

midlifecrashes

Seeing the cars without fog lights on is a pretty good indication that they don’t need their fog lights on.

johndoh
    Free Member

No it isn’t. Don’t be silly.

andyfla
    Free Member

lights were bouncing off the fog last night – made my first night ride of the year very interesting

stumpy01

Hmmm. Not noticed this round my way. It’s the opposite problem of a verys light haze in the air and the front & rear fog lights immediately come on. They then get forgotten about so stay on for a week.

andytherocketeer

Depends on the car.
    Ford ASBO… it’ll have every conceivable light on already. May as well. Cover all bases. Even if it’s midday, 35degC horizon to horizon blue sky.
    Saw quite a few (non Ford Asbo) on the motorway in heavy rain the other day with no lights at all. But only when I got close enough for the dark shape to start appearing through the spray, and my lights hitting their reflectors.

andy8442
    Free Member

I’m not complaining about fog lights, people had no lights on whatsoever in fog you couldn’t see 10 yrds in.

Whatever happened to Public Service Adverts? We need them more than ever, as the general public become more and more stupid and lazy…..and distracted.

RustySpanner

I leave my headlights on pretty much all the time.
    Why not?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I think a lot of people rely on the automatic setting on their lights these days, and fog never seems to fool that.

Make things easy for people and they stop thinking about it.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member
    vickypea
    Free Member

That’s air pollution blown in from mainland Europe, not fog.

midlifecrashes

That’s air pollution blown in from mainland Europe, not fog.

Nah, dust from Jens Voight’s training ride.

m360
    Free Member

Out on a bike ride this morning and I’m more visible than 50% of the vehicles on the road!

What are you complaining about? I’m invisible to nearly every vehicle wanting to pull out of a junction from either side of the road. Those that do see me don’t give a sh*t. A 50% increase in visibility would be appreciated!

CountZero

Foggy? It was a bit murky the last few mornings, but no more than that. Quite a few cars had their headlights on, or at least sidelights and I put my lights on anyway, just because it was a bit dim.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The other morning, meandering up through the village to the train station (Moon Shield blazing from the back of the Brompton), I was overtaken by someone in full aero roadie mode, with one, pathetic, solitary LED flashing almost invisibly on the back of his expensive bike.

Given the direction he’d come from, and the time of the morning, he’d have to have ridden for at least ten miles before overtaking me. Ten miles in the early morning half-light, with one, pathetic LED. He did have some orsumz deep section crabon fribe aero rims though, so he must have been chasing some massive straaaaaaaaaaaaaavaaaaaaaaaaaaaa sections or something. Dick.

jkomo

It’s the bike commuters in fog with no lights that I can’t believe, mental.

konabunny
    Free Member

Another STW I haz awsum road skillz thread

😉

Northwind

Solo
    Free Member

I find it disappointing when folk, unthinkingly, switch their FLs on, when they see the slightest hint of fog. Rather than taking a moment to actually assess the actual visibility through the prevailing fog and then deciding whether to switch on their fog lamps.
    A lot of the time, ime, fog lamps get switched on, when they’re not required.
    I mean, how foggy does it need to be to justify using fog lights on urban roads, in rush hour, where the distance between cars is just a few car lengths ?
    Its ok, I’m sitting behind you trundling along at 30mph at a distance of a few car lengths, I can see your normal lights, your fog lamps are not required, and you can see this, for yourself.
    😉

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘It's Foggy. Put your lights on!’ is closed to new replies.