Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • It's Elfin's Tuesday Architectural Appreciation thread! Towers and Skyscrapers
  • slugwash
    Free Member

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

does it still spin? and is the balcony still open? it was barred but not glassed IIRC and you could walk out and around it. Pretty cool, i’d have to say

😯

I was quite happy being safely behind bullet-proof glass. I don’t think it still spins, although my head was spinning!

Great experience, eh? You wooduv seen quite a different skyline from the one today; no Canary Wharf, no Gherkin, no Shard, no new Wembley, etc. Amazingly, St Pauls was the tallest building in London until the PO Tower went up in 1962.

That Calgary Tower glass floor looks proper vertigo-inducing. Good Lord.

Petronas Towers; only saw these from the air, fling into KL, but bloody hell they are big! Quite beautiful too, I think.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I forget the name of it now, but I too the pics of this tower in Delhi last year…

IMG_7451 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

Stunningly beautifil close up

IMG_7457 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

cynic-al
    Free Member

I didn’t know OXO’s HQ was in London.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Amazingly, St Pauls was the tallest building in London until the PO Tower went up in 1962.

Have you been to the top of St Pauls (that was about 15 years ago, don’t know if you still can climb up inside the skin of the dome to the upper balconly just below the cross)

I_Ache
    Free Member

I went up the CN tower a few years ago and have one of those ‘feet on the glass floor’ pics somewhere. When you stand there it looks like a MASSIVE vert, Im sure Matt Hoffman would try and ride it if they would let him.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Oh yea I forgot. This is how you get to the top. You go up the outside.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=427lk8rslyI[/video]

MrWoppit
    Free Member

bikebouy
    Free Member

water towers in illinois

water towers in kuwait

water tower in Glasgow

bikebouy
    Free Member

Fastnet Lighthouse, been around that a few times me..

cynic-al
    Free Member

OOh where’s that Mr Woppit?

Has that been on Grand Designs or that Resotoration program? Sure I’ve seen it somewhere. Odd setting.

donsimon
    Free Member

MrWoppit
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    OOh where’s that Mr Woppit?

Morrrrdorrrr…..

bazookajoe
    Free Member

The folly at House of the Binns, though the young un calls it Windy Tower like in Peppa Pig.

Mr. Woppit – I’ve also convinced her that when we look across to Fife, it’s actually called Mordor and the flare we see over there is called The Eye of Mordor – she’ll be surprised when she gets to see the films and sees that in it!

EDIT: A quick search leads me to believe it’s the tower at Fife ethylene plant. Looks like Mordor to me!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Here’s my fave, the Transamerica building in SF:

JonEdwards
    Free Member

That cross at the bottom of the “vert ramp”. Is that something for the jumpers to aim at?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

ahh well, if we’re including lighthouses – Bell Rock

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

bazookajoe – wasn’t that when it blew a valve a month or so back? I drove past on my way to burntisland when it was in full flow- awesomely spectacular

montylikesbeer

Elfinsafety has the best, just love the Chrysler Building.

However , not too far from me …………..peel tower in rammy

and an old fave where I spent part of my lift apprenticeship, the CIS Building in Manchester.

bazookajoe
    Free Member

BigButSlimmerBloke – no idea, sorry, I didn’t even know what the place was before I looked it up earlier and found that pic; would have been impressive to see though. It just always looks like the Eye of Mordor from the Silverknowes Esplanade on our side.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The old Scott monument is rather good IMO – right in the centre of edinburgh and you get great views from it.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

The Gherkin is one of my faves too:

And I’ve always had a love for the NatWest Tower, as it’s bin part of the London skyline for virtually all my life. Took 9 years to complete!

Zedsdead
    Free Member

CountZero

Not the biggest lighthouse around, but actually accessible on foot, and open to visitors. Too late to go up there last year, as it’s season ends September 30, but I’ll be back there again in September, so hopefully I’ll get some pics from the lamp room. You can also stay in the accommodation via the Landmark Trust. Earplugs a must, the foghorn still works!

Start Point lighthouse, South Devon, last October. Lower pic taken from outside the pub in Beesands where I’m staying. First class food and excellent beer. What more could you want?

Klunk
    Free Member

good ol’ fag money

JEngledow
    Free Member

Broadway Tower:

I lived in it’s shadow as a little boy and drive past it most days now, but I’ve still not actually been closer than the road to it 🙁

I also have a soft spot for Peel tower as I spent the rest of my youth looking up at that one!

CountZero

Good one klunk, that suddenly reminded me of it’s neighbour:

The Cabot Tower, just over the road in Brandon Hill.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Saw this during a road trip a couple of years ago.

Turning Tower – Malmo, Sweden

edd

Two Dubai classics:

and

cynic-al
    Free Member

For Burgers, Festival w*nks and tourists, the Nelson Monument on Calton Hill is higher, (562ft vs 310ft from what I can work out)cheaper (£3), quieter & less dramatic, than the Scott, but has good views also:

redted
    Free Member

Grimsby dock tower. Apparently modelled on the Torre Del Mangia tower in Siena (pictured earlier) and used to be used to power the dock gates. It has something like 1,000,000 bricks in it. It looks ace when the evening sun hits it, but is a pity most of the rest of the docks are now derelict or have been levelled.

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘It's Elfin's Tuesday Architectural Appreciation thread! Towers and Skyscrapers’ is closed to new replies.