Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • It's Elfin's Tuesday Architectural Appreciation thread! This week- Stone.
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ok the 3rd instalment in our materials series. This week, buildings what have bin made out of stone. One of the earliest building materials known to Humanity, and one which has given us some of the most spectacular buildings on Earth. It’s truly amazing what can be done with stone, and it lasts for a very, very long time.

Canterbury Cathedral:

ton

😀

yossarian
    Free Member

Newgrange from the inside

crazy-legs

I do like these threads. 🙂

I’m going to go back to very basics with this:

Maybe not a building but I’m always impressed by stuff like this, built for who knows what reason so long ago that most people can’t even imagine the timescale.

molgrips
    Free Member

May I be the first…

portlyone

May I be the first…

First thing I thought of was The Valley of the Kings.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

IanMunro
    Free Member

twinklydave

Lancashire’s premier tourist attraction:

The Great Stone of Fourstones.
    Fairly minimalist in terms of architectual ‘effort’ I admit, but it’s got steps, so it counts 😛

mrben100
    Free Member

In the vein of molgrips

Across the river from the Turkish village of dalyan.

By no means the greatest stonework in the world but still impressive to see in the flesh.

Harry_the_Spider

Berwick ramparts and Beaumaris castle

The Nimitz Class aircraft carriers of their day.

Slogo
    Free Member

antoni gaudis sargrada familia

Harry_the_Spider

Conisbrough castle is a bit of a looker.

There’s cock all there though once you’ve seen the keep.

Peel Tower in Nazi free Ramsbottom featuring some of the not quite inner circle from here. 3 threads in one!

molgrips
    Free Member

May I be the first…
    First thing I thought of was The Valley of the Kings.

That’s Petra. And I don’t mean the dog off Blue Peter.

Got some more:

And the statue of Crazy Horse they are building, which is a much better monument than Mt Rushmore which it is near:

AlexSimon

robgarrioch

Whitby Abbey, alledged inspiration for Bram Stoker, + instigator of a considerable vampire-based local economy…

Might be pre-empting a future ‘carving’ topic here, but this gem, in a proper Glasgow east-end dump (next to current workplace), always draws my gaze;

molgrips
    Free Member

AlexSimon

Not really architecture, but anyway…

matthewjb
    Free Member

What is CaptainFlashheart’s meant to be?

Anyway…

Kirkstall Abbey by Matthewjb, on Flickr

t_i_m
    Free Member

AlexSimon – Member
    Not really architecture, but anyway…

+1

maccruiskeen

I love the way Gaudi engineered his stone buildings – strings and weights – hang a loop of string, position the weight – trace the line and thats the shape of the arch you need to support your the weight. He’d make his whole building as a piece of macrami, then photograph it, turn it upside down and shade it in. Lovely. Would love to see one in the flesh

yossarian
    Free Member

What is CaptainFlashheart’s meant to be?

It’s west kennet longbarrow, part of the Avebury landscape. Looks like this inside:

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

OOh, time for a bit of Yorkshire Stone:

Saltaire, Bradford:

Some bird what me mate’s wife knows lives in a cottage there but I’m not allowed to meet her in case of get pregnant. 😐

Bradford Town Hall:

Bradford is one most beautiful place in World. 😥

McHamish
    Free Member

Lincoln Cathedral;

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Not enough trees to hang a man; not enough soil to bury him. The Dolmens in The Burren, Co. Clare:

j_me
    Free Member

duntmatter
    Free Member

Sorry, getting carried away now.

mogrim

Beaumaris Castle? Nimitz class? More of a type 42, this is a real castle:

mogrim

Castle’s aside, the roman aqueduct at Segovia gets at least one vote from me:

Baldysquirt

can’t find a better picture but..

or

or

monksie
    Free Member

Sorry, I don’t have a picture to contribute. Elfinsafety. Could you please ping an email over to me if you get chance? I need to drop you a quick line or two.
    Ta.

molgrips
    Free Member

Baldysquirt’s last one wins.

Anna-B
    Free Member

This is my current favourite stone thing cos I saw it today – when I drive to Swindon the road I take goes straight through the middle of them, and I’m always amazed by that. All a bit more hands on than Stonehenge.

Avebury

And Elfin, pretty sure your last photo is Salisbury, not Canterbury. I’m sure you’d want to know that! 😉

maccruiskeen

How about……… every location use in the The Fall

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Isn’t that last pic level 37 of marble madness?

CountZero

The Captain’s pic of West Kennet Long Barrow took some nifty lighting, it’s very tricky to get any kind of pic in there. In the first chamber on the left, just about at the confluence of the three stones in the top left a pair of swallows have made a nest; not the most practical place in the world. Some great photos here, as usual.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

WKLB is a very moving place.

CountZero

Ok, it’s a bit dim, but it’s stone, it’s very old, and it’s an architectural feature:

This is the Green Man in Wells Cathedral. Very, very few visitors will ever see this little fella, he’s carved into the lintel of a door leading into private offices that the public don’t have access to. I had to ask nicely to get to see him.

maccruiskeen

I know we’re not really supposed to have bridges, but stone is all about arches and I suppose arches are the arch in architecture.

I love this teeny tiny little bridge by Ian Hamilton Finlay at up the road at Little Sparta, inscribed:

“Arch: n Architectural term,a material curve sustained by gravity as rapture by grief”

CountZero

Perhaps pushing it a bit, but it’s stone, and it’s certainly architecture, this is just a more distant view;
    Glastonbury Tor, from just above Pilton.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘It's Elfin's Tuesday Architectural Appreciation thread! This week- Stone.’ is closed to new replies.