Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 143 total)
  • It's Elfin's Tuesday Architectural Appreciation thread! Hatred and Disgust
  • yossarian
    Free Member

Now you see I actually quite like some of those…

I wonder how much I could hate a library, whatever it looked like

Harry_the_Spider

Shambles Square in Manchester before the IRA refurbished it with a truck full of explosives.

Much better now they have moved the pubs to a better location.

TheFlyingOx

I seem to remember that building being destroyed by a 40kiloton nuke in Threads

True. Sadly, despite this, it remained standing for about 20 years after the big-screen destruction.

Random factoid of the day: My one and only (to date) film role is in Threads. When the bomb goes off and everyone runs away screaming, I’m the toddler in the pram being pushed away from the town hall. Actually, it might be WHSmiths.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Actually, I thnk that 1 Canary Wharf and The Shard (even more when it’s finished) are really beautiful, whatever their purpose.

This, on the other hand…

binners

Can I nominate an entire area?

Salford. With this oozing sore at its ‘heart’

Nuke the entire place from Orbit. A more drab and depressing collection of decaying concrete it is difficult to imagine. Its what I imagine a siberian gulag would be like. But with more drugs and traccy bottoms

aP
    Free Member

I quite like 50s/60s buildings and particularly Brutalist ones – but then I know why they’re called Brutalist… 😉
    For a rather more in depth study of crap buildings feast your eyes at Owen Hatherley’s sublime Bad British Architecture blog

edd

The Florey Building, Oxford. I had the “pleasure” of living in this for a year…

crazy-legs

Ooh, talking of shopping centres (like Salford ^^)

This place:

Elephant and Castle, London. A truly awful abomination of 1950’s concrete, a huge shopping centre containing not a lot, god-awful tenement flats, railway arches, 2 massive roundabouts, underpass systems and a Tube station that smell of piss and last time they attempted to make the place look nice they painted it bright pink, just to make the eyesore really stand out. It’s in the process of being completely redone although I suspect the only way of improving it is with a large amount of high explosive…

WackoAK
    Free Member

😉

Andituk
    Free Member

Good thread this week, agree on Salford (the shopping “city” is a dump, why do they need to advertise it with massive red letters?) and GMP police stations. Oh and the Arndale.

I’d like to propose the complete and utter distruction of Leigh please. Most of the nicer buildings have already gone, so we might as well just flatten the place. Preferably with the inhabitants still inside.

Starting with the library..

Then moving onto Market Street, home of various pound shops, a bookies and a cash generator.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Don’t break wind near this sign, it’s only bluetacked on.. Pig Ugly town, pig ugly sign..

&

European Architect draws inspiration from other pig ugly buildings.. We’re not the only ones to fall foul of the blind Etcha Sketch weilding skool of design.. There all over Europe these things..
    This ones in Cologne.

binners

Another place that needs nuking from orbit? Stockport

What an armpit of a place. The only decent piece of architecture is the huge railway viaduct leading to Manchester

timc
    Free Member

Right next to Liverpools Famous waterfront… awful

derek_starship
    Free Member

While Leigh’s being cleared, any spare TNT for Farnworth?

Travis

i want to post a pic of Beijing… its all gross

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m loving the Bile..

LOL

binners

timc – I’m always staggered that they were able to build that abomination next to such architectural majesty. But they haven’t learnt their lesson. They’re on about encroaching on the Graces with another set of modernist abominations

Looks great. I’m sure it’ll improve things for the better. It all looks perfectly in keeping:

🙄

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Stockport Town centre is a lot nicer than you think. Admittedly the motorway bit is a hell hole, as is the shopping centre bit, but the old streets and Market Place are Victorian gems, as is the Robbie’s brewery – it looks like Willy Wonka’s factory, right in the centre of town. No doubt there are loads of Oompa Loompas making the beer. Well, I’d suspect they would be if they weren’t all hanging around Piccadilly Gardens.

To be honest, the majority of Manchester city centre is horrendous. Apart from the Town Hall and Court it looks like a bigger version of Peterlee.

😆

montylikesbeer

Andituk
    Free Member

Can we just flatten some of Stockport and make the A6 dual carriageway then? Worst thing about going to the Castleton and Hope bits of the Peak are having to drive through Stockport to get there..

noteeth
    Free Member

My one and only (to date) film role is in Threads

Wow… still one of the most terrifying films ever made.

Back OT: Bristol’s harbourside flats – an object lesson in how to ruin an interesting location.

midlifecrashes

It’s brand spanking new and looked better with the scaffolding on. Ladies and gentlemen I give you the Hepworth in Wakefield. Will they never learn.

sweepy
    Free Member

just awful

clubber
    Free Member

Back OT: Bristol’s harbourside flats – an object lesson in how to ruin an interesting location.

So true – how they thought what looks like a cheap Benidorm rat warren hotel could be a good thing to put there is beyond me and what a suprise, it’s still largely empty…

Colston Tower in Bristol is fugly too

MKCHRIS
    Free Member

this thread is useless without pictures (of Milton Keynes)

organic355
    Free Member

timc
    Free Member

@binners, yes i have seen the designs!

I actually live in one of the new build high rise apartments in Princes dock, town, basically its the best flat you can get city centre on my budget & i actually have a view of the desertered docks to the North. The building actually has great views & is lovely inside but as a piece of architecture, its pretty crap!

Apart from that big x60 storey building, I would welcome investment in the area, I think its far enough away from the 3 graces not to cause to much of an intrusion, plus the Sand castle & new L1 buildings already surround the 3 Graces with Horrid modern Architecture

Philby

Bristol Royal Infirmary – its as grim inside as well. Amazing anyone gets better there.

Moses

I’m pleased you put up the Bristol docks – they’re destined to become the social housing of 2020 I reckon. And just opposite are some hideous flats that started falling down after ooh, at most 5 years. I must find a photo.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Come on people, that’s it; let the hatred course through your veins….

News International plant, Wapping. No need to say any more:

Lifer
    Free Member

Sun Alliance brought the land around this church:

knocked down the church, left the spire and built this around it:

(There was an issue with the church needing tonnes of money for restoration, but I know which view I prefer!)

matt_outandabout

Yer average new house:

locomotive

Apex Plaza nr Reading Station. Someones first attempt with an out of date CAD package. Drag and drop a few semi-circle windows and then render in pink to complete the look.

angryratio
    Free Member

Some pretty foul stuff going on there in Newcastle.

CarryGrant
    Free Member

Pretty much every single one of Stewart Milne’s identikit monstrocities with which Aberdeen is so generously endowed.

Pictured is one of the less hideous.

trailmonkey

I actually like Birmingham Library. As a kid we used to skateboard around the hollow interior and as an adult I always found the interior pretty cool as well as a treasure trove of books, newspapers and information of all kinds. The fact that it got up Prince Charles’s elitist hooter makes it all the more appealing.

Elitism seems to run deep through this thread though. Don’t see much hatred for the vast canon of neo classical ostentation, built largely on the back of exploitation. I could post some up but it would be quicker that everyone just googles the National Trust and fills their own boots.

It’s pretty shallow to knock most of the stuff that’s been blasted on here. Most of it was built in a hurry, at a time of economic hardship after the Luftwaffe had decided that we needed to re-plan our cities. Those buildings represent a new world and a people determined to get back to normal as quickly as possible after 6 years of trauma, heartache and deprevation.

Any one of those buildings says far more about the good of the human condition and of our heritage than any revolting stately home.

Klunk
    Free Member

The University of Bristol’s Stundent’s Union. A more hateful, bland concrete monstrosity I have yet to find. That’s pretty much the only picture of it on Google Images, perhaps the Uni knows how terrible it is and has attempted to censor it. Made worse by the fact that the University owns many fanstastic buildings and grounds.

I had my bike nicked from the underground carpark, though it did have a nice basement swimming pool when I was there.

Klunk
    Free Member

corby bus station

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It’s pretty shallow to knock most of the stuff that’s been blasted on here. Most of it was built in a hurry, at a time of economic hardship after the Luftwaffe had decided that we needed to re-plan our cities. Those buildings represent a new world and a people determined to get back to normal as quickly as possible after 6 years of trauma, heartache and deprevation.

There’s plenty of stuff posted here that was built during periods of great prosperity. I don’t mind all Brutalist architecture, frinstance, but a building should be designed to be fit for purpose, and many of these really aren’t. Poor design, shoddy workmanship, poor quality materials all combine to produce monstrous carbuncles we could well do without.

Any one of those buildings says far more about the good of the human condition and of our heritage than any revolting stately home.

OK then, go and live in one of them then. Go and live in something like Robin Hood Gardens then see how much you like that kind of architecture. Then come and talk to me about the ‘Human Condition’.

Vulgar neoclassical stately homes, eh? Well, I’ve never found this lump at all architecturally interesting, in fact it’s a proper eyesore tbh. And I’m not a fayn of what it represents either. I for one would be quite pleased to see it gone:

bikebouy
    Free Member

It wasn’t just the Germans that carpet bombed cities during the war you know.. We did a fair bit of that too.. Dusseldorf anyone?? Yet somehow European tower blocks seem to just fit better in larger open spaces in thier far better planned out cities than our carbuncles stuck in between teeny city/town centers.
    As for stately homes etc. well some are rather pretty places, shame you have to pay to get in most of them, but at least they’re open to the public these days..well some are unless you got through the back door that is.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘It's Elfin's Tuesday Architectural Appreciation thread! Hatred and Disgust’ is closed to new replies.