Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Its cycle to work day!
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

Yay!
    Its my day off. Boo!
    I’m cycling to work anyway, just like every other day. Yay!
    Any of your coworkers riding in for once?

D0NK

I rode in yesterday and did a night ride so on a rest day – as I often seem to be on C2W days (work have monthly ones)

But while we’re on the topic how come the hired in model* (with logo emblazoned across her chest – 🙄 ) gets preened before the photo shoot whereas all the “real cyclists TM” have to wear dorky gear and helmets at jaunty angles?

*apologies if she is a real cyclist**, just looks that way to me.
    ** she could be womens world champ for all I know, my knowledge of pro cycling pretty much begins and ends with tdf.

isitafox
    Free Member

I was all set to ride in today as I haven’t for a week or two but then I couldn’t be bothered charging my lights up and I did legs at the gym last night. Add to that the fact I got about 5hrs sleep which meant if I had woken at 5am to ride I would have gone for the extra half hour in bed and a car journey!

cp

Rode in here (as usual when office based though…)

Didn’t notice any difference in cyclists numbers through city centre…

redwoods
    Free Member

I think it’s a bit of a shame they’ve used such a ‘glam’ photo of DvO for the promotional stuff but I guess with a helmet on she’s not so recognisable and that would kind of defeat the object of getting a sleb to promote it.

I think she’s done some charity bike rides across Vietnam and the like recently and got into cycling then. To be fair I saw this pic posted to Twitter this morning and she was rocking the dorky cycling look as much as I was.

We got some Tour De France themed jersey shaped biscuits and coffee and smoothies for us on arrival at work this morning 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

i saw – 2 different bikes to the ones i usually see on my route…..

were they doing cycle to work day or was i just late and seeing a different segment of riders …….

Fwiw – our bike shed* looked no different to the rest of the week

*I say shed – its more an area under the stairs in the hall

hjghg5
    Free Member

I cycled in as normal. I tend to vary my routes so not sure whether there were that many more cyclists than normal as I ended up on a busier cycling route than I normally take, so I’d expect to see more than normal anyway.

A bar in town was doing free coffee for cyclists but I was the only person there (admittedly I was only there for 10 minutes out of 2 hours so more people may have turned up later). A few people at work seem to be doing it – they are doing a twitter thing to post cycle to work selfies and there are a few people on there who I don’t think normally commute.

Not sure about the bike parking as I have a bike cage in the basement car park rather than having to use the racks outside. As I have the only key for it there’s not much chance of anyone nabbing it before I get there.

bol

I cycled as I do when I don’t need the car. Saw several people riding on pavements and across pedestrian crossings who I don’t normally see.

ads678

Well i haven’t cycled in all week so thought i’d better today as I am the only cyclist in my whole office complex!! And someones had the bloody cycle racks away over the weekend along with both my locks!! 👿

No one seems to know anything about it so i’m assuming it’s ‘travellers’ or what ever the pc term is nowadays.

DvO still looks fit in dorky cycling gear.

stabilizers

Didn’t see any other bikes on the 50km route I did this morning. Pretty grim in Aberdeenshire this morning even with the tailwind.
    Less bikes in the bike cage too.
    Granted apart from 1 e-mail from cycle to work and posts on here I would not have known about it.

cp

Granted apart from 1 e-mail from cycle to work and posts on here I would not have known about it.

yeah, I found out about it at a customers site yesterday!

zippykona

I met someone on a shiny new Solaris in that lovely green.
    Never seen him before , coincidence?
    Nobody knows.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Brought my bike in today, I’ve had to sling it in the Games Room.

m1kea
    Free Member

Its cycle to work day? ❓

Hmmm missed that one but no matter

marcus7
    Free Member

Not today due to being out and about, saw a nice chap this morning on my commute in, he ran pretty much every red light through Chester though… even i was tutting….

soma_rich
    Free Member

I cycle in everyday rain or shine. Today i’ve got a stinking cold and would have worked from home but still dragged my arse in. I work for the Department for Transport and didn’t even get a cookie 🙁

D0NK

I think it’s a bit of a shame they’ve used such a ‘glam’ photo of DvO for the promotional stuff but I guess with a helmet on she’s not so recognisable and that would kind of defeat the object of getting a sleb to promote it.

well she’s been so preened/shopped in the official pic that I don’t recognize her, doesn’t that also defeat the sleb endorsement? whereas in the pic you posted it’s rather more obvious (to me atleast) who it is.

tthew

he ran pretty much every red light through Chester though

I rode through Chester this morning. Didn’t see him, but did see the bloke on the steel singlespeeder that looks like a Van Disiel WTF, (isn’t but I can’t remember what boutique make it is) who’s changed it to a belt drive.

Not really a great increase in numbers today, despite my reminder e-mail.

Can anyone see that photo? I can’t, suspect it’s secure.

trailhound101

Only 3 bikes in the shed at 9-00 this morning(usually 6 or 7) – meanwhile cars going round and round the car park looking for non-existent spaces. BAU…

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Cycled in as normal into York, and there were a fair few more people on the roads this morning.

Picked up my free breakfast from work. Glad I had a proper brekky at home though. I’d be starving otherwise.

Work ran a cycle to work scheme a month or so ago, and there are definitely more people cycling in now. Lets see if it continues through the winter.

Danny79
    Free Member

Didn’t cycle as riding tonight but went along for the coffee and croissant about 15 turned up some may still be off for summer but really should be more.

Chatted about things they could do to improve facilities as county council has had a dig, mostly they’re looking at more/better sheds about the place suggested a drying room doubt it’ll get far. Asked them to feed back to county council about worst section of commute the hill past Chandlers Ford ASDA that would be a lot more pleasant without the pointless 1/2 mile section of national speed limit, again doubt it’ll change anything but no harm raising it.

Got a free Ass Saver that may end up on my Cinder Cone.

cchris2lou

Cycled in like every other day.
    And still the only one out of 130.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Usual 20 miles this morning, didn’t notice hundreds of cyclists. Bike shed looks the same as always.

Harry_the_Spider

First bike commute in 5 weeks. Lovely autumn morning with mist over the fields, cows singing in the hedge rows etc. Nearly had a triathlon moment when I discovered that the temporary pontoon tow path on the canal in Castleton at the M62 underpass wasn’t there.

I didn’t recognize D Van O in that picture either. I thought it was Melinda Messenger, which is no bad thing I suppose.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I cycled in as normal, but its only a 4 mile round trip. We don’t have many parking spaces, so keeps others happy and me happy for riding. Sit at work with my SPDs on all day too. But I brought the Cannondale F29 in today, with fresh cow poo on it from last nights ride to stink out the workshop.

aP
    Free Member

I didn’t notice anything different today, but with a bit of luck I’ll get to meet the patronising “young man” again who on Tuesday evening told me that because I was riding a Brompton I should get out of his way because I was forcing him to ride in the road which was putting him at risk. He got an Anglo-Saxon response, and will get more if he wants to patronise me any further.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I had to take my car for an MOT this morning so didn’t do my usual 25 mile road ride. Instead I had a jaunt through the parks of Milton Keynes on my mate’s bike that I said I’d look over in the workshop at work. It’s proper retro, 26″ wheels and 3×9 transmission. It was great.

pcb
    Free Member

Seemed like a normal ride to work today. To be honest I didn’t know it was cycle to work day

ThePinkster

Rode in this morning as per my normal 2 or 3 days a week. When I got here I was surprised to see fewer than normal bikes in the bike shed 🙄

What did make me smile though was that 3 times this morning on my journey in I saw groups of parents riding with their kids to school which has got to be a good thing. Never seen that before, lets hope they keep it up!

TiRed

Our dedicated underground cycle parking is absolutely slammed. My personal mode of transport needs a bit more space and is parked in a motorcycle spot instead. Raced last night and the legs are feeling it, especially the switch from road bike to deckchair trike.

frood
    Free Member

Going to be riding to work about 1pm, but will be riding home at 2am tomorrow. So it really will be ride to work only day

tillydog
    Free Member

I would be, but for falling off and knackering my shoulder riding *home* from work last week. Perhaps they should have a day for that, too.

JAG

I rode in today.

Bike Shed does look fuller than normal. There seem to be a lot of off-road ‘weapons’ in their 8)

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I usually ride in once a week, so figured it would make sense to do it today. But the trails round my way are so dry and fast at the moment I was out until 11pm yesterday, so got the train today instead 🙂

I’ll ride on monday…

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

Does anyone know what is accomplished by ‘pledging’?

molgrips
    Free Member

22 miles in today from the hotel. Knackered though, paying the bill for last night’s exuberant ride home, despite trying to keep a lid on it. It was one of those days when you just have to hammer.

razorrazoo

Binned it at speed halfway into work today so have to limp home, patch up and revert to the car 🙁

paule
    Free Member

Rode in for the first time this (School) year today, partly because it’s cycle to work day, partly because it’s not raining and I didn’t have a big bag full of coursework to carry in….

Normal CX/commuting bike had a flat, so took the nice shiny Ti road bike, 14 miles across Sheffield and out to near Rother Valley, 46 minutes so only 10 or so slower than driving. Think I’ll take it more often!
    Unfortunately, the ride home has 200m more climbing and a bit of a headwind, but still nicer than driving along Ecclesall Road at about 4:30

gringo

Rode in as usual, didn’t notice any increase in cyclists. It did coincide with back to school day so plenty of extra hazards and lolipop ladies. Less bikes than usual in the bike racks too.

belugabob
    Free Member

Well, I made it to the office in one piece, despite the final descent being spoiled by damp, smooth tarmac.
    The recent change from 11-25 to 12-28 cassette made the climb of the North Downs more manageable.
    Riding into the sunrise, on deserted country roads, is such a nice way to start the day. Only saw about 30 cars until I got into the town where I work – not bad for a 26 mile ride.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Its cycle to work day!’ is closed to new replies.