Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • It's curtains for me… Or not.
  • Kryton57

Having the better taste Mrs K to just get our old fashioned curtains and poles replaced. She chosen some nice stuff, yet not indulgent from Fishpools.

The price for this not normality including fitted £3000. Yup, that’s right for two Victorian bay windows and a third rectangular window upstairs. Checked out John Lewis as a comparison, and it’s not far off although I priced curtains that are too short and need to be altered at £2000

Please tell me this isn’t normal? 😥

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

#humblebrag

😉

Kryton57

What does that mean?

I can’t google while I’m sellotaping bin liners together to cover the windows.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wittonweavers
    Free Member

More money than sense.

TheFlyingOx

We got a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge set of lined curtains from Next, a large bay window rail from Argos, and a lady down the road to tailor the curtains to the exact size and make some tie-backs from the excess. We paid £205 all in. I’d say £3000 is not the norm.

Kryton57

Oh Ffs stop the slagging already, I’m posted that I’m shocked about the quote, not bragging that I’ve just paid it!

TomB

Next curtain rail, material bought, wife making curtains. Total £250, including night school soft furnishings course to learn how to do it!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Probably. We got some woman from a shop in Wetherby to measure up/price a few years ago, 2 windows, not huge but ceiling to floor (more or less). £1800.

I remember my very words, ‘don’t call us, we’ll call you’. We still ended up paying something like £1200 at Dunelm Mills.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I was working in a house a few weeks ago where the curtains and tracks for a (8-9m-ish) bi-fold were coming to £20k (before VAT) 😯 😆

I would advise learning to measure. Buy material and liners and find a seamstress locally who’ll stitch them altogether for you. Then fit them yourself but don’t go too fancy-dan. John Lewis do nice poles and split rings that angle for bay windows.

I imagine you’d do well to keep it under a grand for 2 bays and a square though if you want anything that looks half decent.

seadog101

Whhhhhhaaaaatttt?!?![/i] Mrs Seadog is keen to get new curtains about the house. I’m now thinking that the scabby rags we currently have are more than acceptable.

thegreatape
    Free Member

If you buy them, nobody in your house will have pudding for a year.

Kryton57

Ok some good advice thanks. DD I’ve seen the JL poles and they still rock in at £500 each unless I’m missing the cheaper ones.

DD we are down your way all weekend on the 9th/10th with the kids if you fancy a pint (although with the exception of the race I’m not control of the agenda)

TrekEX8
    Free Member

Spending that much on curtains? Pull yourself togethe!

bearnecessities

This week I spent £6 on 15 jars of Asda smart price pickle and 15 jars of mustard.

..and then binned the contents. I just wanted the jars.

#moreflamboyantthanyou

Sandwich

I’m dismayed no one has said “You could get a bike for that”

project
    Free Member

I fit quite a few curtain tracks and rails, along with curtains, because youre up a ladder can you just hang the curtains, whikle i make a cup of tea quip.

Dunelm is cheap for tracks and rods as is Screwfix, and lots of cheap places for nice curtains, like Dunelm and the factory curtain shops.

Remember curtains are open most of the day so you dont see them, and at night the lining is inside so you juast see the lining and the pattern side is facing the dark street.

Shop around and spend the spare cash on food for a food bank locally

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

..and then binned the contents. I just wanted the jars.

Having a hipster cocktail party are we? 🙂

(Can I come?)

zigzag69
    Free Member

11 years ago, we bought some nice curtains for our big Victorian bay window. £200 in the sale. Let’s see… allowing for inflation, another couple of windows… *tip-tap on calculator*

Nope, can’t make the numbers add up to anything else.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Remember curtains are open most of the day so you dont see them, and at night the lining is inside so you juast see the lining and the pattern side is facing the dark street.

😀

Remind me not to get you to fit mine the next time you’re up a ladder at my place.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Having a hipster cocktail party are we?

😆

TomB

What? Only if you hang them back to front

MrSmith
    Free Member

I’m having triple glazing fitted to my flat next week (not the cheapest either) and its costing less than your curtains. 😯

Kryton57

*takes Project off the potential help list*

wittonweavers
    Free Member

and at night the lining is inside so you juast see the lining and the pattern side is facing the dark street.

I thought the pattern faced inwards…? It does in our house anyway!

Edit – Note to self – press submit straight away!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Remind me not to get you to fit mine the next time you’re up a ladder at my place.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

In fairness to the OP (for those just thinking of the price of the curtains), he is talking about new poles as well – for 2 bays and a flat window. Anything of reasonable quality and the cost does mount up quite quickly once you start adding all the wall mounts, rings etc. IIRC, our hardware came to quite a bit more than the material. If you’re going to pay for a measure, make and fit, then there’s all that to add as well.

Moses

at night the lining is inside so you juast see the lining and the pattern side is facing the dark street.

Since when?
    The pattern goes inside, the lining is windowside which prevents fading as well as keeping warmth in.
    I bet you wear your underwear over your trousers, too. 🙂

matt_outandabout

Do you have a large house on the Isle of Wight?

Kryton57

Well DD, the curtains:

Pinch Pleat Curtains – Made to Measure – BEDROOM – 1 pair with 3 widths in each x 186cmdrop. track size 316cm.In Paladio 09 Natural TDPA02 with Blackout Ivory lining.

…are the most expensive thing at ^ £800 X 2, and £530.

Wibble…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Like I said, find someone locally who’ll make them (is there a local FB group where you could ask – that’s how everything happens around here) – find out how much material you need to buy and do it that way. Takes a bit of legwork but you can save yourself quite a bit.

Kryton57

Yes I thinks that’s the route to go…

bearnecessities

In fairness to the op

No. It’s **** pish-twaddle of the highest order.

I’d rather have Cougar sit in my passenger seat and provide me with a critique of my driving than feel obliged to have the slightest twinge of a shit of someone whining about expensive curtains, which is clearly just another thinly veiled ‘look at me!” thread.

..no hard feelings of course, just…well, long day and taken up with matters so far removed from such problems.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

U OK HUN?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

o. It’s **** pish-twaddle of the highest order…

…no hard feelings of course, just…well, long day and taken up with matters so far removed from such problems.

Come on, tell us how you really feel.

bearnecessities

You know I’m not, you bastard.

*sobs*

matt_outandabout

😆

Kryton57

thinly veiled ‘look at me!” thread.

For a start your wrong there as my current curtains are closed. Like I said before I’ve nothing to show off – I’ve never bought curtains before unbelievably, am seeking advice, and shocked at a quote I’ve recovered. What’s to brag about?

You’d be justified if I’d bought then and posted a photo of them with the price.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well it’s only fair, you just bought a new car and now yer wife wants new curtains..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

new curtains..

What’s the beef?

stumpy01

A few mentions of Dunelm Mill.

We’ve had made to measure from them that were fine.

But, the most expensive curtains in the house were made to measure from Dunelm Mill and they are shit. Like they’ve been sewn together by a primary school sowing class…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘It's curtains for me… Or not.’ is closed to new replies.