Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • It's amazing that there is anyone in the UK elligible to give blood!
  • richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Hi Jon1973
    Due to work commitments I struggle to be able to book appointments too far in advance and still be able to reliably keep them so I have always just called up and made appointments as and when in the past.
    Normally there’s about a week ‘lead time’.
    This time round the time scale is crazy though – for the same reasons I can’t book my next session whilst at the donors I also can’t book 8 weeks ahead.

This is at an actual permanent doning centre at a hospital too.

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

I’ve stopped giving blood after 20 odd years. They have had so many cuts over the years (not just the Tories its an easy cut for any government)that its turned into a very impersonal inflexible voluntary service. You pretty much need an appointment which for me doesn’t work so I’m stuck with a 2 hour wait where I live. You have 1 nurse looking after 3 beds its all a bit of a rush and the last couple of times they missed the vein because of this. I tried to work things out with them but they couldn’t do anything, It’s shame because The Blood Service are a really good team of people caught in the middle. Shame really its something I felt I should do.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I give platelets. Service is great.

29erKeith
    Free Member

@John1973
    some hospitals do have a permanent blood donor suite. Southampton general does anyway. It’s primarily there for Platelet donors but they do normal blood donations too.

It’s probably got 6-7 platelet beds and 2-3 for normal blood donors which actually didn’t used to get used that much been a bit over a year since I’ve been though.

@Pugwash do you have local hospital with a donor base? I find them much more personal than the mobile ones, which as you say can leave you with a long wait and then be a bit rushed. (not the Staffs fault I might add, they’re doing a great job)

29erKeith
    Free Member

Cynic-al +1

50+ donations here, must get back on to them to get retested and start again.

BigJohn

I signed up for platelet donation the last time I was giving blood but they wrote back and said “No need to worry, but you’re not suitable”.

No need to worry?

Who are they kidding? 🙁

29erKeith
    Free Member

Some people’s counts are higher than others, yours will be at a safe and normal level you’ve just not got as many spare as some have.

I stopped as mine had dropped for a few donations in a row + was going travelling. I’ll get re-tested they might have gone up, they might not have, they fluctuate naturally.

If they’re not up I’ll do whole bloody, if they’re up then I’ll do Platelets.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

I can’t give Platelets because I’m too ‘compact’.

Basically they said ‘thanks shorty but you’ve only got enough in that tiny body for yourself’.

konabunny
    Free Member

As far as the crims are concerned, we all have CJD

A little petulant, there, considering the last couple hundred years of Australian history and the fact that it’s a risk factor specific to a certain type of immigrant (i.e. people like me that ate lots of discount beef-based school dinners in the 80s).

Keando

Used to give blood regularly but due to suffering a TIA back in February and now having to take Asprin daily I’m not allowed to give blood anymore.

P20

I need to get back into donating. The staff are the best people to talk to. I would fail the online quiz as I have no idea if ive been in contact with people carrying infection. As a Paramedic though, my chances are higher than most. They are still happy for me to donate though

zokes
    Free Member

A little petulant, there

Really? It’s as meaningful as the “have you had sex in Africa” or “are you, or have you been gay” questions. Totally irrelevant, and given how desperate both here in Oz and back in the UK the medics seem to be for blood, you’d have thought that they would make volunteering to give some a little easier.

konabunny
    Free Member

It’s as meaningful as the “have you had sex in Africa” or “are you, or have you been gay” questions.

Rates of HIV/AIDS and malaria infection are high enough in (many parts of) Africa to warrant precautionary concern about donations from people who have travelled in those countries in the last twelve months. The same decision has been taken about male-with-male sex. There’s full information on the website. I’d suggest that the rate of CJD infection in the UK is radically lower than infection with the relevant diseases of concern in the other named populations, so it’s not as meaningful as the other factors.

The Australian Red Cross asks neither whether you have had sex in Africa nor whether you have ever been gay. Perhaps you’re mistaking small talk with the dishy receptionist with the pre-donation questionnaire? 😆

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘It's amazing that there is anyone in the UK elligible to give blood!’ is closed to new replies.