Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • It's a small world
  • twoniner
    Free Member

Yaers ago when I was a kid my old man worked in a local quarry on drilling rigs and blowing shit up.

10 years ago he died of cancer and I tried to get hold of a scale model of the sort of rig he used so I could mount it in his memory. I trawled high and low for years and then I found one on ebay.

This one

I got messaging the guy that was selling it and it turns out that this fella knew my old man well, worked with him in the quarry, my dad taught him to drill. He aslo worked with him all over the world including the Falkland Islands and Africa. The seller scratch built the model while he was out in the Falklands.

Because of this mental coincidence he drove from South to North Wales to give it to me personally. We chatted about my old man and he broke down in tears, told me some ‘what happens on tour stays on tour’ stories too!

It’s the only thing I have to remind me of him so Im glad I found it

matt_outandabout

Was at home in Sheffield with a mate, he asked who the lady in the wedding pic on the wall was – ‘my sister, Ruth’…’oh yeah, I know her, I was at school with her in India’ was the reply 🙂
    ‘And my parents are the house-parents Ooty still’ he went on to say.

I asked him to email his parents and ask them to take a picture of the large picture behind the desk in the office. They did – emailed it through to said mate. He brought it round, I showed him another pic on the wall. It was the same, it was my grandparents, who had been house parents there in the 60-70s…!

Raindog
    Free Member

Many years ago (1982 ?) I had one of those ghetto blaster radio cassette things. I switched from tape to radio, and the radio (which was randomly tuned on medium wave) was playing the same Zappa track, in the same place, as the tape I’d just turned off..

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Me & GF went to Medicine Hat in Canada in 2000 to stay with her old friend who was originally from Durham but had moved over there & married a Canadian guy. She (Moira) worked for the Alberta Motoring Association in Med Hat.
    About a month after we got back my Dad was in hospital in Durham & while I was visiting him I noticed a guy wearing an Edmonton Oilers hockey shirt, got talking to him, told him I’d just come back from Med Hat, blah blah, he said, ‘Eh? I’ve just spoken to my Mrs back home in Med Hat who’s been talking to an English girl called Moira about insuring the car’. He was in the army & based at BATUS near Med Hat.

twoniner
    Free Member

Good strip clubs in Med Hat 8)

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Premier Si> its getting like the twilight zone in here!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Good strip clubs in Med Hat

The Assinaboine (Sinner Boy)?

Cougar

Many years ago (1982 ?) I had one of those ghetto blaster radio cassette things. I switched from tape to radio, and the radio (which was randomly tuned on medium wave) was playing the same Zappa track, in the same place, as the tape I’d just turned off..

That must’ve happened to me at least a dozen times. Though not with Frank Zappa.

Great thread. I’ve just thought of one. Maybe a year ago, an old friend popped up out of the blue of Facebook. We were at school together and whilst we kept in contact for a little while we’ve been in touch in 15 years or more.

We did the “how are you doing, we must go for a pint some time” thing, like you do on Facebook but never follow through on. Three days later, I was riding down the canal towpath and met him out jogging in the opposite direction.

twoniner
    Free Member

Good strip clubs in Med Hat

The Assinaboine (Sinner Boy)?

Thats the one, and cheetas. I believe the Sin Bin (Sinner Boy) has closed?

stavromuller
    Free Member

When I was doing some subcontracting a few years ago I built up a good relationship with the project manager and sometimes we’d go and do site surveys together. I live in Leeds and he in Walsall, so I’d drive down to his place then we’d travel on in his car. One trip he mentioned he’d worked out in Sydney for a few years and I said Mrs S has family out there we’d visited in Janali (a suburb) to which he said he used to coach a junior football team in Janali. Mrs S’s uncle lives next to the football club and it turns out he coached her cousin Rod and later showed me a photo of him with the team next to said uncle’s house. Freaked me for a bit, I can tell you.

Caher

My ex was in la paz Bolivia and met her parents neighbours.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I work for a tech company with a lass who’s best mate worked with me while I was guiding in Spain.

Bumped into my Californian aunt in a shopping mall in the midlands (I lived in Essex at the time) – didn’t know she was in the country.

While living in Grenada, was sitting at Stuart’s Bar and a lass I club-swam with as a teen in Essex strolls in.

There’s more, but that’s enough for now. 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Showed some photos of my riding ventures to a lad at work, he pointed to a mate of mine in one of the photo’s & said, ‘I know him’. Lad from work had been in the Navy & my mate was in the Marines. Turns out they’d done a parachute jump together while serving in Hong Kong.

I believe the Sin Bin (Sinner Boy) has closed?

Hardly surprising, a mate of mine had to barricade himself in a room cos some local Indians were trying to get him!

milky1980
    Free Member

Was walking through London back last year and saw one of my old cars (Peugeot 205 XT) driving towards me. Looked at it a bit closer and saw that it was being driven by a pretty brunette – who I’d dated a few years earlier 😆 Sitting in the passenger seat was a guy I used to work with back in my college days 🙂
    Turned out he was selling the car and she was out on a test drive and was about to buy it!! Thought he was still in the US (emigrated after college) and she was living up north. Even the car should’ve been dead as I’d sold it for scrap 10 years earlier!!

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘It's a small world’ is closed to new replies.