Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • IT/Network Engineer Help please
  • alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

Fluke Link runner alternatives ?

I have broken my link runner and need a cheap alternative. It just needs tell me the IP when I plug into a floor outlet.

Any suggestions ?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Maybe I’ve misunderstood this, but isn’t the IP address is assigned to the network device, not the port? If a DHCP address is assigned to a device, it holds on to that address then, if another device is plugged into that port, is it not assigned another address?
    For cheap testing, what about a second hand laptop with Linux and a network sniffer?

jointhedotz
    Free Member

I guess he’s looking for something to confirm the port’s live. I just use an IP phone (call centre, we have a few lying round), if it comes up ok then port is fine.

Cheap old netbook/laptop would provide more info though as suggested above.

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

We have two networks onsite. This what I use below. This is much cheaper than i paid.
    Phone takes to long link runner takes about a minute for the IP address and a few minutes if I require the switch name and port.

I need to know if its a live port, what network and whether its user or printer config port.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/181929886213?adgroupid=16885268106&hlpht=true&hlpv=2&rlsatarget=kwd-124273561266&adtype=pla&ff3=1&lpid=122&poi=&ul_noapp=true&limghlpsr=true&ff19=0&device=c&chn=ps&campaignid=270621186&crdt=0&ff12=67&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff14=122&viphx=1&ops=true&ff13=80

brassneck

For cheap testing, what about a second hand laptop with Linux

This, a virtually unlimited toolset available for nowt.

ifconfig eth0

..will probably give you the ip, config depending. Else just ifconfig and pick the right interface.

Fluke testers are for cabling companies really, who need to sign off their runs with minimal hassle

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

A laptop that fits in my pocket would be perfect 🙂

slowoldman

Yes the Link Runner is very handy in that it sits in a pocket. It doesn’t just show a port is active, it shows switch port number, port speed, works as a cable tester, etc, etc…. Mine’s broken too (snapped off a battery connector). So I wouldn’t mind a suggestion either.

growinglad
    Free Member

LinkSprinter.

Pretty cheap if I remember correctly and handy little tool. Although to actually see the IP you’ll have to connect to the device wirelessly with your smart phone. Also tells you what switch port you are connected to…plus some other stuff.

I think it’s a good bit of kit.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘IT/Network Engineer Help please’ is closed to new replies.