Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • It'll buff out in time for the next race
  • wwaswas

Alonso’s car from yesterday.

Amazing he was able to walk away from it, really.

cokie

A few spoons and Al will have that together in no time.

..but yes, incredible! I guess a combination of some incredible engineering and luck. I heard it happened at around 200mph?!

muggomagic

Watching the replays of the crash it is almost unbelievable that he walked away from that.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Trimix
    Free Member

And it had no Halo !

MoreCashThanDash

He was lucky he had quite a long run out before the final impact, but incredible to think anyone could survive that, let alone walk away.

A tribute to the safety of the current cars and all involved in their design and construction.

Bet he’s a bit sore this morning though.

Pook

He’d not have flipped without the gravel trap

Northwind

Kind of looks like my car tbh

MrSmith
    Free Member

This happened on the same weekend, luckily nobody was in the foot tunnel at the time, wouldn’t surprise me if racing gets banned there until safety upgrades are made.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=021GVfHJ_YE[/video]

m1kea
    Free Member

MrS

That was a nasty one and good to read no one was seriously injured. I can see both sides of the argument on what to do next and at the least they should investigate options to lessen the risk of another car going in to the tunnel

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

And it had no Halo !

I think he was very, very lucky.

If you watch the slow-mo of the crash, when the car flips the first time his head was a luckily a foot or so off the ground, and the second rotation the car pivoted partially on the rear end again keeping the worst of the initial impact away from his head.

Alonso walks away from huge crash in australia

dooosuk
    Free Member

He would never had landed on his head anyway. The air intake above their heads is a roll hoop for just this scenario.

Halo isn’t being proposed for protection in rolls either; it’s for tyre’s/debris hitting the drivers head on track.

Good to see the wheel tethers held and they remained attached to the car.

legend
    Free Member

dooosuk – Member

He would never had landed on his head anyway. The air intake above their heads is a roll hoop for just this scenario.

he certainly could have if the roll hoop had dug into the gravel

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

This happened on the same weekend, luckily nobody was in the foot tunnel at the time, wouldn’t surprise me if racing gets banned there until safety upgrades are made.

Risk assessments and probability though.

What are the odds of it happening again, versus say a high speed crash sending debris into the grandstand or pit lane with no fencing between them and the track?

dooosuk
    Free Member

How deep is the gravel out of interest?

Also a good time to remind ourselves the head protection structures either side of the cockpit in 2016 are now 20mm higher than before and able to resist a compression load of 50N per 30 seconds.

MrSmith
    Free Member

What are the odds of it happening again, versus say a high speed crash sending debris into the grandstand or pit lane with no fencing between them and the track?

no idea.

matt_outandabout

Oh poop.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

That picture up top is kind of what I would expect ?!?

If it still looked like a car Alonso certainly wouldn’t be alive.

rOcKeTdOg

Really scary when you see the crash at full speed 😯

legend
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – Member

That picture up top is kind of what I would expect ?!?

If it still looked like a car Alonso certainly wouldn’t be alive.

Looks spectacular though, and a lot of people struggle with the concept of something looking absolutely annihilated being potentially good for the occupants

pondo

Wow – what a picture.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Is that rusty water from the radiator or Alonso?

CountZero

Is that rusty water from the radiator or Alonso?

Snigger.
    Amazing photo, that last one, he apparently said all he could see was ground, sky, ground, sky, ground, sky, had no idea at all where he ended up, and got out of the car quickly so his mum could see he was OK!
    Bless!

dooosuk
    Free Member

Do you reckon he put the steering wheel back on, as per regulations, before walking off 🙂

gavinpearce
    Free Member

He walked away but did his pants survive?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

no idea.

That’s the issue with risk assessment, it’s far to easy to focus on what if’s and not so easy to step back and look at what’s most likley. In that area I’d say the pit lane is far more exposed than the tunnel which is only really exposed to that fluke of a car somehow falling vertically down into the hole.

What should really be done, is fencing on the sides of the track where people are on the other side. BUT would a fence designed to stop say a wheel at 70mph, stop a whole car like that?

wwaswas

He looks like he’s waiting for a bus, not just climbed out of that 😯

Jackie Oliver, Lotus-Ford, French GP Qualifying, Rouen 1968

Fencing’s a bit token!

globalti
    Free Member

The gold liquid looks like oil bursting out of a radiator hose – would that be right?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘It'll buff out in time for the next race’ is closed to new replies.