Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Item not arrived from classifieds…
  • GeeJay86
    Free Member

Hi All,

I recently bought an item from the classifieds which ahsn’t turned up and am wondering what to do next.

I agreed the purchase on the 12th July and sent hte payment that day. The seller was replying quickly to emails and said he’ll get it posted on the Saturday morning (13th).

Tuesday came and I hadnt received anything so asked the seller when he posted it and for a tracking number. He said it was posted Saturday (13th) morning and would get me the tracking number “when I’m back” although didnt say back from where, or when.

Tuesday 16th was the last email I received despite numerous polite chase emails so I think the seller has well and truly done one.

So…what do I do next? I found the user on pinkbike and facebook, and althoguh he’s not an active user on here looks to be a biker.

Here’s the clincher and probably the last time I’ll do this but I paid by paypal gift. Something I’ve done loads of times without issue before, but I know with PayPal I dont have a leg to stand on.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Lets hope it turns out ok for you, but as the user only registered to sell one thing I think you’ve been had 🙁

hora
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/profile/cuotc1991 this one?

Whats the email address?

GeeJay86
    Free Member

Yeah, usually I check the sellers’ history, but was at work at the time.

The only redeeming thought is that he is pictured on his Facebook using the GoPro so the item does exist, and he used to ride.

GeeJay86
    Free Member

Hora, that’s the one – not sure I should post his email in a public forum?

hora
    Free Member

Why not? It may help in a google search or other forums. He may be on Pinkbike?

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Strangely ,this advert caught my eye when it was first posted as it seemed like a bargain.
    I looked at the posting history and noticed that the user had just registered to sell a Gopro and thought that it must be too good to be true.
    I was so convinced that it was a scam that I reported the post saying that it had scam written all over it. Needless to say I never got a reply and nothing happened about it.

Sadly it appears that I was right.

wilko1999
    Free Member

To summarise looks like you’re down £150 and lesson well and truly learnt

EDIT: Having said that, I’m a regular on STW, but on the odd occasion when I’ve sold something of higher value ie a frame, I’ve posted it on pinkbike and bikeradar too, so to them I’d look like a dodgy classifieds only possible scam type character. Just maybe there’s an outside chance that there’s a genuine mistake…?!

GeeJay86
    Free Member

The email I paid is jonno661@googlemail.com

That turns up on pinkbike as jonny247

Which also revelas an email address of Jonny2bike@yahoo.co.uk which appears on facebook under Jonny Taylor, which is the name of the original googlemail address, so appearas to be the same person.

franksinatra

How did you pay? Please don’t say PayPal gift? 🙄

Assuming you followed the numerous warnings, you should be able to claim back through PayPal by following their claims process if it comes to that

hora
    Free Member

This? http://www.pinkbike.com/u/jonny247/

Member since 2008..

wilko1999
    Free Member

Frank, the original post states PP gift…

franksinatra

Frank, the original post states PP gift…

Missed that.

martinhutch

Appears to have done some trading on here in the past under Jonno661 profile – perhaps contacting one of his sellers will provide a postal address if required.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/profile/jonno661

boblo
    Free Member

<sigh> not another one. You don’t know me but would you send me £150 please?

Sorry, nothing helpful to add other than I hope you get it sorted and learn from this.

GeeJay86
    Free Member

So…where can I go next on this one? What may encourage the seller to reply/refund/send?

johndoh
    Free Member

Disappointing that it was flagged as potential spam to mods and they ignored it though.

franksinatra

GeeJay86 – Member
    So…where can I go next on this one? What may encourage the seller to reply/refund/send?

POSTED 8 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Engage e-stalking mode.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Get his address and pop round to see him?

Still can’t believe that this keeps happening….we have one of these threads every week seemingly!!

Jamie
    Free Member

There really needs to be a warning on the classifieds, just to give people a gentle nudge about the dangers of using Paypal Gift.

Something like this maybe?

*cough*

Being an unhelpful arse aside, you need to find out where he is. Otherwise, your chances of getting your cash back are slim.

GeeJay86
    Free Member

Well, he told me he was at the Royal Militaray Academy in Sandhurst. Facebook pretty much confirms this; I doubt his employer would like to learn of his fraudulant transaction.

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

That could explain the lack of communication, if he’s been on exercise for a few days. You’re right his employers wouldn’t look to favourably on it if it is fraud. Getting in to have a quiet word with him might be difficult though.

Cougar

I was so convinced that it was a scam that I reported the post saying that it had scam written all over it. Needless to say I never got a reply and nothing happened about it.

Disappointing that it was flagged as potential spam to mods and they ignored it though.

I’ve just searched back through my emails and the only reported post I can find from “notmyrealname” is a spam report back in March. So either the report didn’t send for some reason, or you’re using more than one login.

Jamie
    Free Member

That could explain the lack of communication, if he’s been on exercise for a few days. You’re right his employers wouldn’t look to favourably on it if it is fraud. Getting in to have a quiet word with him might be difficult though.

Not to discount valid reasons for not posting, but isn’t this the same guy, with a different username, getting busted here for trying to sell a carbon road bike with 2 different accounts. The other one being Jonno661 with the email Jonno661ATgmailDOTcom.

I should add, not only am I not a doctor, I am also not Columbo.

Smudger666

If he is at RMA Sandhurst, then I don’t think you will have been scammed. Getting in touch might be tricky as he will have several fortnight long exercises that will mean he is out of touch.

That said, it’s poor show if he hasn’t posted it when he said he had.

stumpy01

I wonder if the new user and selling of a GoPro coincided with seeing this thread?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/is-your-gopro-gathering-dust-on-a-shelf-somewhere

Hopefully as mentioned if the guy is really at Sandhurst then he might be out on exercise or something, but this does have classic scam written all over it…

iolo
    Free Member

If he is at sandhurst and knew he couldn’t post it it would not be up for sale.
    It loots likes you’ve been done.
    Sorry my friend but the advert did look very dodgy.

Cougar

So either the report didn’t send for some reason, or you’re using more than one login.

Belay that, it’s me being dense. We discussed this at that at the time but can’t just ban someone on a guess. I’m not sure what else we could fairly do?

Looking at the history of this Jonno character, he’s sold a bunch of stuff here and on PB a while back, but the only complaint to come back is the link above where he’s advertised something twice using different accounts. If he were a scammer, I’d have expected to see more negative feedback.

Hm.

Jamie
    Free Member

If he were a scammer, I’d have expected to see more negative feedback.

He’s just that good at it, Cougar.

He’s the Keyser Söze of the scamming world.*

*Allegedly.

hora
    Free Member

Do you know his first name/surname?

If so give him a few days to confirm post or refund then call Sandhurst and ask to speak to either the Adjutant or Provost?

However sorry new user/first sale and high value item- did he request Gift or did you offer it? If he requested Gift then I think you’ve been done and Sandhurst is a bizarre herring.

Jamie
    Free Member

Do you know his first name/surname?

Jonathan Taylor.

hora
    Free Member

What if its an innocent bloke with that name? OP email him, ask him to simply refund your money asap.

bigblackshed

Sorry OP but: “too good to be true + PayPal Gift = ………..

FuzzyWuzzy

Sucks and hopefully you get your money back but really – you gifted someone £150?! All that risk just to save a fiver in fees, it amazes me the level of trust some people have (or the amount of risk they’re willing to take to save a small amount of money).

DezB
    Free Member

If it’s the (red trouser wearing) Jonny Taylor on Facebook, he doesn’t appear to be the type to need to scam folk out of a few quid.

hora
    Free Member

Agree but if it is him and he is scamming then hes a bloody idiot.

Jamie
    Free Member

If it’s the (red trouser wearing) Jonny Taylor on Facebook, he doesn’t appear to be the type to need to scam folk out of a few quid.

…from Wansford as well, which is a very posh village near me. Either he’s an idiot, or someone has hijacked his identity?

singlecrack
    Free Member

Sent you an email Op About some correspondents I had about the GoPro …….

GeeJay86
    Free Member

Thanks for all the comments people. Seems like he often creates new accounts under new email addresses, but why?

Also like people have said, he doesn’t look the kind that needs a few quid.

I’ve tried giving him the benefit of the doubt that his job has prevented him sending/replying etc, but I’d have thought he would be honest and say that he is on exercise so cant post/respond etc.

I’ve got his address and phone number, many thanks SingleCrack so will call him after work and see what is going on.

I have a few friends in the forces too so will see if they can get in touch internally.

Excellent detective work Jamie! Looks like he’s got another email address.

Jamie
    Free Member

so will see if they can get in touch internally.

…sounds painful.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Item not arrived from classifieds…’ is closed to new replies.