Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Itchy helmet……
  • beardo74
    Free Member

Help!

I bought a 7iDP M2 helmet about a month ago. Nice helmet, good coverage etc and fairly comfy. Bit warm on the head though. It’s also VERY ORANGE!!

The pad inside is made of a silky material and less absorbent than the pads in previous helmets I’ve owned – which were more of a perforated, fluffier material.

Upshot is that after long rides (2-3 hours plus) the helmet gives me an itchy forehead, leaves raised red itchy patches on my skin and, on my last ride, full on hives which took a day and half to go away and left me looking like a spotty teenager (no offence intended if you are one, but I’m over 40!!)

So, question is, is it the helmet or am I doing something wrong? Previous helmets I’ve washed the pads occasionally (every month or so, or when smelly) with my kit in the wash, and that’s been fine. This one I’m washing in clean water every time I ride to try to reduce the problem, but it’s still getting worse.

Any ideas??? Similar experiences?

MrTricky
    Free Member

Have you ever tried wearing a buff? Much easier to wash than helmet pads. I wear one under a helmet in all temperatures (I’m too tall for my hair), if you are having a reaction to chemicals in the pads this may help.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’m too tall for my hair)

I’m trying to picture this 😕

OP, as above try a buff and or some of the Scholl de-oderising shoe spary, my mtb shoes get a good spray regularly and it may be “bugs” in the padding ?

scotroutes

I wouldn’t recommend a deodorising spray. Not only could it directly affect the skin but it could drip into the eyes in sweat.

I’d certainly try removing the pads, washing them in something anti-bacterial and rinsing them well.

I almost always wear a buff (regardless of season) and have found that this helps quite a bit.

panzerjager
    Free Member

I had a similar issue in the past, not with an irritation, but the brow pad just didn’t feel like it was in the right position.
    I bought some small self adhesive velcro ‘dots’ from a craft shop, then cut & bent a spare pad set from my old helmet to fit.
    Did it with a POC Trabec too, as it was frankly very uncomfortable, but half an hour with the velcro spots & some creative use of the spare pads gave me a great fit & the sweat soaking bits where i needs them.
    See if you have a spare with one of your other lids, or just use an old one that you didn’t have a problem with & cut or bend it to fit.

beardo74
    Free Member

Thanks for the ideas guys. I think I’ll try a combination of washing the pad in milton solution and a buff (although this might just make my head hotter!). Failing that it’s off to the craft shop…

cheekyget
    Free Member

Get a pirate bandanna it what I use….also keeps the wind out of your ears and in the winter it keeps them warm

speedstar

Possibly reacting to the material in the helmet? Or heat rash? Either way I would consider another helmet. The new Kask Rex (?) I think it’s called looks very well ventilated.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Not had any problems with the pads in my M2, maybe it’s a reaction to the material? Can you swap them out for the pads from your old helmet to see if it’s the pads or just the sweat?

A few friends have the Kask Rex and rate it highly. Not sure if the large has been released yet as last time I heard they hadn’t started producing them yet. The smaller one fits a pretty wide range of sizes thanks to their new retention system

Tom KP

beardo74
    Free Member

I was hoping to avoid buying a new helmet, but I’m wandering if the thin, non absorbent pad coupled with the (relatively) poor ventilation on this type of helmet is what’s causing my problem. My old helmet was a bit old fashioned and had lots of fresh air in it (inc brow vents), unlike the current trend for more solid helmets with less vents and more coverage (hence warmer/ sweatier).

I’ll see if I can get an alternative pad to replace the 7idp one – my old helmet’s pad has disintegrated.

zero-cool
    Free Member

I’ve found the M2 to be a pretty cool helmet. And the pads absorb a lot more sweat than those on my old Fox Flux or the Giro Feature and Bell Super I tried.

I always thought it was at the lighter, better vented end of the AM/Enduro helmet scale.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Itchy helmet……’ is closed to new replies.