Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • It was too painful to watch !
  • Klunk
    Free Member
    gogg
    Free Member

Yeah, but she’s going to take a year to learn what a teacher can learn in a day, cos teechers is much cleverer. Init!

tiggs121
    Free Member

lol – brilliant!

Another clueless Tory – Paxman is mellowing – he could have destroyed her!

oldnpastit

It’s only ones and zeros….

How hard can it be?

Klunk
    Free Member

Paxman is mellowing – he could have destroyed her!

I don’t think Paxman knows muchanything about the subject either.

CountZero

The bloke who set up Microsoft couldn’t either.
    The point is to make sure that there are people in place who can.
    There are things I do that my boss clearly can’t, but he’s still my boss, and gets paid a lot more than me.

Klunk
    Free Member

you think bill gates couldn’t code ?

ninfan
    Free Member

Richard Branson can’t play an instrument, fly a 747 or fix a train

Luckily for him, (and the rest of us) thats not his job!

Klunk
    Free Member

Richard Branson can’t play an instrument, fly a 747 or fix a train
    Luckily for him, (and the rest of us) thats not his job!

yes but he knows what a plane, train and instrument is.

Philby

Typical of these young politicos – been apprenticed in a ‘think tank’ and had no real experience of life or work as the rest of us would know it, and now telling everyone how to live their lives / do their jobs. No wonder all the policies coming out of Westminster are about as much use and as relevant as a chocolate teapot!

JulianA
    Free Member

Hmmm, should I be concerned for my job if anyone could learn to code in an hour?

It’s going to be a busy hour learning C#, SQL, CSS, HTML, JavaScript and all the other stuff that goes into a real website. Not to mention all the UI/UX stuff, plus Photoshop.

Should we have a FizzBuzz code competition here on this thread for the fun of it?

wwaswas

I think you’ll find he could.

Alphabet

🙄

bruneep

Excellent !

Why is my son going to uni for 4yrs to learn this coding nonsense, I think he’s having me on.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Why is my son going to uni for 4yrs to learn this coding nonsense, I think he’s having me on.

In fairness, I’m pretty sure he’s not doing 4 years at uni just to learn to code.

cranberry
    Free Member

Hmmm, should I be concerned for my job if anyone could learn to code in an hour?

If it is, as was stated, teaching a 5 year old how to write code for a birthday card then it shouldn’t take much more than an hour for the teacher to learn, unless the teacher is clueless or they are using perl. 🙂

lemonysam
    Free Member

Ok, I’m not going to try and defend what she said, it’s fairly much ridiculous. That being said, she’s not implying that you can teach someone about C memory management or the differences between prototypical and classical inheritance in an hour. She’s talking about giving people the basic skills which coding uses.

The fundamental tools of coding – basic boolean logic, iteration, recursion and conditionals say – are fairly simple to teach and to learn* and were certainly fairly overlooked in my schooling 10 years or so back. They also needn’t take a huge amount of adjustment to teach as part of a maths syllabus and they are of great practical benefit.

*for a lot of people

bruneep

In fairness, I’m pretty sure he’s not doing 4 years at uni just to learn to code.

What on earth will he be doing for 4 yrs? I hope I’m not funding his drinking social life then!

Harry_the_Spider

If she was a munter would she have got the job?

Klunk
    Free Member

basic boolean logic, iteration, recursion and conditionals say – are fairly simple to teach and to learn

I can see the glazed gormless expression on her face now as you say that.

Lifer
    Free Member

rry_the_Spider – Member
    If she was a munter would she have got the job?

Would you be saying that if she was a man?

kimbers

I wouldnt expect her to be able to fix the universal credit IT debacle

but Id like her to have a basic understanding of what shes supposed to be directing

I suppose that politicians all over really

wwaswas

My kids both learnt to code using Scratch.

Brilliant tool. Drag and drop but it teaches structure for simple sequences of commands really well.

My daughter won a Pico board; http://wiki.scratch.mit.edu/wiki/PicoBoard in a school coding competition.

I was amazed what the children were all producing with such a simple toolset.

It’s such a shame that it move son to teaching ‘skills’ like Excel when they reach secondary.

kimbers

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDbyYGrswtg[/video]

benji
    Free Member

No hopefully they will teach him the fundamentals of design and different programming paradigms, rather than the hangup on programming languages which are just the means to translate the design to a form the computer can actually run.

And for the record HTML and CSS are not coding or programming.

martinhutch

Like shooting fish in a barrel. Who agreed to put her in front of Paxman? Presumably one of her team incredulous at her appointment.

aracer
    Free Member

In a single line?

for(int i=0;i<100;printf((++i%15)?(i%5)?(i%3)?”%d\n”:”lottie\n”:”dexter\n”:”lottiedexter\n”,i));

(I’m sure it’s possible to do it shorter than that, but not bad for a quick attempt!)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

It was a bizarre Newsnight performance with both participants totally at a loss with the subject material!!!

Old Lottie is getting around a bit these days. She should switch to media and communications. Getting quoted seems a greater skill than understanding coding.

With such shallowness she could try some of the news channels….?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘It was too painful to watch !’ is closed to new replies.