Viewing 2 posts - 41 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • IT security question
  • samuri
    Free Member

as you say, class discussions remain mostly on a superiority basis. It’s simply a term and doesn’t actually relate to specific networks, private or otherwise.

Classes were originally developed to describe large routable networks on the internet and the most common classes were grouped in the a, b, and c derivatives that we’ve all heard of.

So as long as the sizing is held, then classful networks can be implemented and utilised. I’ve seen a class A 5.0.0.0/8 private network implemented and a 192.168.0.0/16 network, all appropriate, all working fine. Not very well, admittedly, but possible.

Cisco in particular used to drive this style of networking. Make a huge, big, flat network. Create a strong shell around it and then just create this crazily huge switched network with a single default gateway out the front door.

you’ll not see things like that any more.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Just clone the laptop and run it on vmware. Then you only need one laptop. I’ve done this in the past and it worked well. Your client may not be too pleased if they find out… but then that’s probably the case for most of what’s being discussed.

I am quite surprised how few large organisations allow access to their networks from anything other than hardware they provide. I’ve worked for a few that have really neat (usually Citrix based) solutions to allow you to use your own hardware.

Viewing 2 posts - 41 through 42 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘IT security question’ is closed to new replies.