Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • I.T. Riddle – exchange outlook that's psychic
  • geordiemick00
    Free Member

just opened up my lap top, battery had died, not been used since last week.

when I fired it up and logged on my emails were totally up to date, even the ones that’s been read this morning (on other devices) before firing it up AND before logging on to the VPN.

How can this happen? The laptop neither had power or was logged on to the VPN yet the emails were up to date? 😕

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Maybe your work IT policy has changed such that you no longer have to be connected to the VPN for your Exchange mail to sync. That’s what happened at our place but it was never officially communicated to us all.

allan23
    Free Member

Magic Gnomes.

Or more probably you’re company has internet based mail that doesn’t need VPN and has updated between you switching on and logging on.

VPN possibly for file access only.

There are lots of assumptions here, not least of which is that magic gnomes exist.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scaled
    Free Member

It’s called ‘outlook anywhere’ and basically uses OWA linked in to your outlook client.

Greybeard
    Free Member

I’ve left a laptop in sleep mode when the battery was low and found it flat when I went to wake it – but I don’t know when in that period it went flat.

I’ve also know laptops in sleep mode connect to my home network – the router logs show it connected at 3am.

Third possibility – somebody else has been using your laptop?!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Are you using W10? It’s probably downloading things it thinks you like…. and your DNA profile.

rossburton
    Free Member

It probably had sufficient power for whatever the silly brand name of “wake up periodically and refresh email and so on” is. As it happens in super-low power mode (no display, CPU throttled) it could get a fetch in when you thought the battery was dead.

molgrips
    Free Member

There might be Windows logs showing when it last connected. Or even outlook logs.

enfht
    Free Member

Scaled has it. Outlook Anywhere aka RPC over http. Basically just needs an internet connection. But is different to how OWA connects.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Our laptops started doing this about 18 months ago. Used to need VPN, now it doesn’t.

surfer
    Free Member

As others have said it is probably using O365 hosted Email. Outlook and OWA will update as soon as it sees an internet connection. O365 provides its own secure tunnel, doesn’t need your VPN

cheekyboy
    Free Member

You may be on the list !

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘I.T. Riddle – exchange outlook that's psychic’ is closed to new replies.