Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • IT Questions for you boffs… Google sheets?
  • gravitysucks
    Free Member

I’m wanting to use a programme that can show basic information that can be open on multiple screens and updated via any of the stations without closing and saving etc.

Basically the way Google Calender works being able to add or adjust an entry which then shows up for shared users.

I may have answered my own question here but will Google Sheets do this as I have never used it before.
    Also is there a better programme to use.

andytherocketeer

yup.
    and you see exactly who is connected at any time, and all of the cursors and edits in real time, and it autosaves all the time.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Also is there a better programme to use.

No.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Stoner
    Free Member

Google sheets works brilliantly like that.

My colleagues and I do just that regularly. You do have to consider occasionally saving “locked” versions as back up in case a user bollox’s something up. But the version control on GSheets is excellent too – you can go back in time to any historic edit point and restore to then.

IHN

What’s Sheets like handling reasonably complex spreadsheets (multiple tabs, lots of formulae etc etc)

I have a bookkeeping spreadsheet that I keep up to date for my accountant, currently living in dropbox, edited in LibreOffice at home (laptop) and occasionally viewed and edited in QuickOffice on my phone. I’m wondering whether to just give my life over to Google and do it all in Drive/Sheets etc…

andytherocketeer

Multiple tabs no issue.
    1000’s of formulae – not sure (mine tend to be smallish, lots of tabs but fit mostly on a screen or 2).

Was going to mention about security, bearing in mind that Google can see everything, but since you mention Dropbox, then I guess that’s not a major issue.

Chrome/Firefox will complain every few months that it’s not up to date every time you open a sheet (or other google doc).

Stoner
    Free Member

Nettles, I built my career making over-complicated models in Excel. I now make simpler models in GSheets.

Some scenario functionality is lost (you cant use TABLE or GOLASEEK) but for basic* static formulae based sheets GSheets does all you need. You can always export as XLS with the click of a button if you need to send it on to someone. But the strength of it is in the collaboration – sharing it with you accountant so they can just login and take what they need any time.

*99% of the functions you are likely to use. I once found an odd circular ref error from a MAX function that didint occur in Excel, but it was easy to fix.

Ive never had that update nag in chrome, andy.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘IT Questions for you boffs… Google sheets?’ is closed to new replies.