Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • IT Question – Data Transfer
  • z1ppy

Finally sorted myself a NAS, now want to transfer my MP3 and stuff onto it.
    Any recommended utilities to transfer and verify the data transfer?
    I want something a bit more 'reliable' that will verify the data copied is the same as the original (one drive is 80GB of MP3's I don't want to corrupt).

Or am I just being too paranoid and should simply copy & paste?

Cougar

I'd just C&P, personally. If you want more reliability though, try Robocopy / Richcopy. Standard in Vista / W7, and in the Resource Kit for XP iirc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robocopy

http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithcombs/archive/2009/03/22/richcopy-bulk-file-copy-tool-released-get-it-here.aspx

highclimber
    Free Member

Or am I just being too paranoid and should simply copy & paste?

yeah, you are. just copy over as you would with a flash drive.
    if you're paranoid about corruption you could always back up your files elsewhere on your computer but if you are COPY and PASTING you are making a copy anyway and corruption ,should it occur, will only happen to the copied files and not the parent ones

HTH

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I use Beyond Compare for this kind of thing – a very powerful and flexible tool and not expensive. It was years before I needed to pay for it as you get 30 separate days' trial, and it gets reset every time they come out with a new version which happens quite often! In the end I was happy to pay up 🙂

At the moment I'm using it to copy my entire website to another server as it works over FTP and SSH too

Cougar

The other thing of course is, if the data is important, it should be backed up. If you make a perfect copy to the NAS, delete the original, and then a week later the disk in the NAS dies, are you going to be screwed?

z1ppy

NAS is Mirroring the data between two drives, lost enough data in the past thx.
    Majority of the MP3's are backed up to DVD too, the rest will be before their copied over.

Redundancy redundancy redundancy aka backup back backup!… old mp3 hdd will be removed from comp and stored after the data is copied over (as it worth nothing otherwise).

damitamit
    Free Member

rsync?

GrahamS

I use TeraCopy for copying things I care about (like photos etc).

It is fault tolerant (retries instead of just giving up like windows) and can check the CRC of the copied file to make sure it matches the source.

Crell
    Free Member

Another beyond compare user. It's great for what you want to do.

Select the folders you want to copy to the NAS, set the destination on the NAS, click one button (Probably "copy to the right") and you're there. It's a great piece of SW.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘IT Question – Data Transfer’ is closed to new replies.