Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • IT Q.. assigning an IP Address
  • Travis

Hi,
    Every time I go to the office, and I change my wifi to the office one, I have to assign (as in, type in) an IP address.
    Is there a way I can do automatically, because I’m fed up of having to spend 1min everyday doing this.
    On Windows 8.1

aracer
    Free Member

Yes, but I’d probably need a bit more in the way of details. I presume when you use your wifi at home your router gives you an IP address, and there is no DHCP server giving them out on your work wifi?

Travis

At home, it just connects, but when I’m at work, I need to manually input the IP, Default Gateway and DNS.

MSP

set up a couple of batch files ie

office network.bat

netsh interface ip set address “Wireless Network Connection” static 192.168.0.10 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.1 1
    netsh interface ip set dns “Wireless Network Connection” 192.168.23.54

dhcp network.bat

netsh interface ip set address “Wireless Network Connection” dhcp
    netsh interface ip set dns “Wireless Network Connection” dhcp

put them on your desktop and run them as appropriate.

assuming your connection is called “wireless network connection” which if it is the only wireless interface and not been messed with it will be,

darrenspink
    Free Member

On a mac you can define different settings depending on the router it connects to. Surely you can do that in each network setup in windows?

rossendalelemming
    Free Member

Enter your Office ip address details in the Alternate Configuration. If your Computer can’t grab one off a DHCP server it will switch to the Alternate.

somouk
    Free Member

It may also be worth speaking with your companies IT people and asking them to enable DHCP on the wireless router. Odds are it’s meant to be on and there are a lot of people in a similar boat to you.

If no one tells them they won’t know to fix it.

aracer
    Free Member

This

but in the meantime this…

Where you have to enter an IP manually, there should be an “Alternate configuration” tab when you select “Obtain an IP address automatically” – enter the IP in there instead (On Win7, Control Panel, Network and Internet, Network Connections right click on your wireless adapter, properties, click “Internet Protocol Version 4”, properties – probably similar on other OS, but I don’t have one running here to check)

Travis

Thank you.\

I’ll try that in the morning.

Have a good day!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘IT Q.. assigning an IP Address’ is closed to new replies.