Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • IT problems…
  • druidh
    Free Member

First it was teh telly, now the spacebar on my PC keyboard has stopped springing back. I took it off and it’s manky underneath. I reckon it might be a good idea to take all the keys off and give the thing a good clean out.

I was thinking of putting them back in a more logical order – starting ABCDE at the top left. Has anyone done this and did it make your typing any quicker?

Stoner
    Free Member

I think you mean “HE” problems now…

danielgroves
    Free Member

To do that you’ll need to change the profile for your keyboard to map the right buttons to the right keys.

You probably won’t find any increase in typing speed. In fact, I’d place a fair bet that changing yours keys to that sort of order would actually slow you down more. QWERTY keyboards are designed to place the most used keys within the easiest reach of your hand resting position to make typing faster.

Originally keyboards did use a different pattern (think back to typewriters here!), which was even faster to type with, but people were simply typing too quickly for their typewriters to keep up back then, this won’t be an issue with a computer of course, just a quick bit of history 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

QWERTY keyboards are designed to place the most used keys within the easiest reach of your hand resting position to make typing faster.

Only if English is your first language….and for druidh…well….

danielgroves
    Free Member

Only if English is your first language….and for druidh…well….

I’ll give you that, I was assuming that it is the OPs first language as this is a UK-based site 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Ziol olf’z vgkaofu zgg vtss

Cougar

QWERTY keyboards are designed to place the most used keys within the easiest reach of your hand resting position to make typing faster.

QWERTY keyboards were designed to separate commonly used combinations of letters so that mechanical typewriters didn’t jam. It’s not a particularly efficient layout, but we’re kinda stuck with it now.

The DVORAK layout is supposed to be the solution to this, but in *mumble* years in IT I don’t think I’ve ever come across one.

Rearranging keys on a traditional keyboard is unworkable as they’re all different pitches; you might have some success with a chicklet-style keyboard, but even then I can’t really see a compelling reason to recommend it.

titusrider
    Free Member

my Garmin car sat nav has an alphabetical order keyboard….

Its ****ing infuriating!

Cant recommend it 🙂

danielgroves
    Free Member

The DVORAK layout is supposed to be the solution to this, but in *mumble* years in IT I don’t think I’ve ever come across one.

Bingo. Thats what I was trying to remember the name of.

druidh
    Free Member

QQQQQQQkui!! Viqz gkrtk rg zitn ug wqea of??

honeybadgerx

I can’t remember the name of it but isn’t there a keyboard pattern that’s meant to be more efficient than the ‘slow down the typist’ qwerty arrangement i.e. vowels are central, z is half a mile away (unless you’re americanized).

@Stoner very good

EDIT: Dang my ridiculously slow work internet, I’d written this days ago!*

*Possible truth error

bikebouy
    Free Member

Do it, rearrange it.. It’s Xmas and we’re all in Holiday mode anywhoo’s..

Wot cud go rong.

Cougar

Here you go, problem solved. You’ll be rapid on this.

edlong
    Free Member

the ‘slow down the typist’ qwerty arrangement

Bit of a myth that, as someone said above, the arrangement was designed to separate common combinations of letters, rather than slow down the overall speed of the typist.

honeybadgerx

Nothing screams cutting edge technology more than naming your user interface device MAL-TRON.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘IT problems…’ is closed to new replies.