Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • IT Printer Help
  • paulosoxo
    Free Member

How do I print on my printer at home, on my work laptop? My printer is plugged into my network with an Ethernet cable. I can use the printer with my own devices whilst at home, but can’t with my work laptop, which is through a VPN.

I assume that since I know my external IP address and the internal IP address of my printer, that I should be able to do this?!

I’m not massively computer savvy, so go easy

andyfla
    Free Member

if you are using a vpn you cant see your home network – the vpn creates a tunnel to your work network so you are on that network – disconnect your vpn and you should be able to see your local printer

whether you can install it is a different matter

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I can’t connect the laptop to the internet via VPN, as that’s the way it’s set up. The printer is set up to work via USB, but i want to be able to print when I’m away from home, so that I have any printing I need when I get back.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andyfla
    Free Member

So you want to print on your home printer when you are away from home ?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

yes 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

That’d be really difficult to set up, and almost totally pointless.
    If the documents aren’t sensitive in any way , I’d just email them to your personal email address and print rthem out when you get home.
    Really, setting things up to print at home when you’re at work will not be worth the effort even if it is achievable.

andyfla
    Free Member

The only way I know is webprinting via one of the HP models – other than that its not really poss on a limit IT knowledge.

I would go with Samuri personally

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Ah, I thought it would be dead easy, I assumed it would be a case of adding a printer, and pointing it in the direction of the printer ip address.

I can print from my laptop when I get home, it just means booting my laptop up and pressing buttons as and when I need to

Cheers peeps

faz083
    Free Member

Check out google cloud print. Basically you’ve gotta have a PC on at home the whole time though.

Also, for the record, if installed with a PCL driver, any printer will be added on an RDP/VPN connection as a redirected printer.

chaos

Should be possible as most routers I’ve seen have a primitive firewall that allows you to punch holes through to something on the inside – such as a networked printer. Slightly risky though depending on what other kit you leave on that could potentially be the target of a bored hacker!

What type of router do you have?

Simon

We’ve got an £40 HP printer that you can email stuff to from your phone/tablet/laptop/PC and it prints the stuff out.

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve not seen those printers you can email. That looks pretty cool. That’s probably the answer.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘IT Printer Help’ is closed to new replies.