Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • I.T. people? using an iMac as a monitor?
  • geordiemick00
    Free Member

I’ve got a MS surface book for work it’s straining my eyes using CAD. Anyone know of what Cable I’ld need to make the mac a monitor?

Kryton57

You can do it using remote desktop. The problem, I’ve always has is I can only display my MacBook on my 27″ monitor in the same size as the MacBook, which kind of defeats the object of course.

scc999

IIRC the Surface book will have a mini display port (MiniDP) for video out.
    Does your iMac have a video in port? I’d guess it would be Thunderbolt (which is the same format at MiniDP). If so, try MiniDP to MiniDP or Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt if buying the Mac version!

Probably best waiting for someone who knows more about Macs though!!!

Si

trailwagger
    Free Member

mini display port on surface end, to whatever is on mac end (I don’t do macs so cant help with that bit)

simon_g

Only the pre-2011 27” ones do this. Later ones (once they got a thunderbolt port) can only do it from similarly equipped Mac and then only when they’re booted into OSX.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

thanks Guys, the surface has mini display port and the mac is a mid 2014 21.5″ aluminium (aloominum) which has two lightning ports

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^^ this is my understanding. Mac’s very good at screen sharing Mac to Mac (as Kryton says) or iPhone/iPad to Mac but not setup to act as a monitor for Windows devices. TBH I think your solution is to spend £150-200 on a monitor (maybe more if you realy need best quality for large scale CAD)

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve got a MS surface book for work it’s straining my eyes using CAD

Stuff too small? Increase the display scaling.

Nice monitors available for £110.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Install this on the imac to remote desktop to the surface.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/microsoft-remote-desktop-8-0/id715768417?mt=12

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘I.T. people? using an iMac as a monitor?’ is closed to new replies.