Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • IT people – monitor query
  • peterfile
    Free Member

I use multiple monitors for my trading set up at home, but need a couple more (I’ve now worked out how to span my desktop on a VPS using the Mstsc/span command).

Are there any good places for picking up used/refurbed VGA/DVI monitors? e.g. ex office use ones, around 19″+

Nothing fancy required, just figured since there are so many IT bods on here you might know of a good place to pic up refurbed gear.

Ebay is a last resort 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

By some amazing co-incidence, I’m looking to punt a Dell E196FP. It’s had about 3 years use but I’ve gone all widescreen 🙂

Refurbs seem to be around £75-115, but I’m only looking for £50 (+delivery) for it. I have the original packaging, so I’m hoping transport will be viable. Otherwise, I’m in East Central Scotland and might be able to arrange something?

Oh – I have one of those desktop-mounted arm things for it too. It weighs a ton, but that wouldn’t be a problem if it was some sort of arranged pick-up/drop-off.

peterfile
    Free Member

Ohhh that is handy!

I’m based in Glasgow. I’m heading out to California on Saturday and won’t be back until Xmas though.

What’s the arm thing like? Does it only support one monitor?

5lab

you can get brand new 19″ monitors for £70

http://www.ebuyer.com/282228-philips-196v3lab-18-5-lcd-led-dvi-monitor-196v3lab-00

or 22″ ones for about £100..

druidh
    Free Member

Aye – one monitor using the standard sized holes. Tension is adjustable, so you might be able to get something fairly meaty on it.

I might have to pop through to Hebridean Haulage later this week…..

nbt

I’ve now worked out how to span my desktop on a VPS using the Mstsc/span command

Brilliant, I wasn;t aware of that and have always hated working from home as I’m on a single 4*3 screen rather than the dual monitor setup at work

Still need to get a second monitor for home, mind…

peterfile
    Free Member

you can get brand new 19″ monitors for £70

http://www.ebuyer.com/282228-philips-196v3lab-18-5-lcd-led-dvi-monitor-196v3lab-00

or 22″ ones for about £100..

bloomin heck! i hadn’t even bothered checking new monitor prices. That’s cheap!

cheers for the offer druidh, but i might just pick up a couple of new ones from Ebuyer, that way they will all look the same and be nice and pretty on my desk 🙂

nbt

, that way they will all look the same and be nice and pretty on my desk

this might be a good idea if you look at the documentation

Monitor spanning
    Remote Desktop Connection supports high-resolution displays that can be spanned across multiple monitors. However, the total resolution on all monitors must be under 4096 x 2048 pixels. The monitors must have the same resolution. Additionally, the monitors must be aligned side-by-side.

To have the desktop of the remote computer span multiple monitors, type Mstsc /span at a command prompt.

lots of chaps in my office are wailing and gnashing teeth as they have mismatched monitors and can’t use this

peterfile
    Free Member

lots of chaps in my office are wailing and gnashing teeth as they have mismatched monitors and can’t use this

To be fair, I currently have a newish 19″ and an old 17″. I just changed the resolution on the 19″ inch to match the highest resolution on the 17″, then select the screen on the 19″ to be centered, then everything works fine.

There are two downsides:

1. the display is limited by my relatively low resolution of the 17″ monitor.

2. span isn’t quite as easy to use as traditional multi monitor set ups where you have essentially separate work spaces. Span is just like having one massive screen, so you often get dialogue boxes popping up which are half on one monitor and the other half on the other!!! 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘IT people – monitor query’ is closed to new replies.